OKW - please help with building selection

mykidsmom

Mouseketeer
I hope you don't mind one more building question, but I could really use your opinion.

Myself, dh, dd - 7, ds - 5, dd - 2 have a 2BR for a week the first of August. 2 years ago I think we stayed in building 19. I thought it was great. Our balcony had a sideways look at the quiet pool, the bus stop was right across the street, and I enjoyed being on the first floor. I didn't even notice traffic noise from Bonnet Creek parkway.

But I'm always searching for that greener grass...
This trip I wonder if we could find the above combination but within view of the big pool - maybe bldg 26? Would we lose the private secluded feel we had in 19?

Are there any other favorite buildings you can suggest?

As for bus service, in building 19 I think we may have been the last stop on the way to the park and the last on the way home.

Thank you for your help and for sharing your "home" with me temporarily!

We stayed in a 2BR in Bldg 13 in October. It was perfect for us. The balcony looked out on the golf course (actually a small pond with a fountain) and it was remarkably convenient to the HH and the main bus stop.

We had with us our 2 DSs (4 and 14 months at the time). It was great to be such a quick walk to transportation, the big pool, Olivia's and the marina (not to mention the front desk). Although right "in the middle" of it all, we found the location remarkably quiet and peaceful. Inside the room and on the back deck, the traffic was a distant memory.

Good luck with whatever you get....I'm sure it will be wonderful! :)

We just got back from OKW and we requested Bldg 23, 24,25 or 26. We actually got the idea from some other posts from way back. We also requested first floor, so we would not have to deal with stairs and such. When we got ther to check in at 11:30AM, a unit in our requested bldg was not ready, but another one way in the back of OKW was. We opted to wait until later and it was well worth it.

The bldgs are close the the Main Bldg, Main Pool, etc. Just a short walk to Olivia's. Our babysitter took the kids to the arcade, retned movies, etc during our nites out.

But here is where it really helps. It is closest to the first bus stop in the morning, so you always find a seat on crowded mornings. It is also usually (bus drivers have little leeway) the first stop in the evening when you are getting home from a long day in the parks.

Also the last stop in the morning is at the Main Bldg, so if you miss the bus, you can hop in your car and drive (hard to walk fast with 2 kids in tow) to the Main Bldg, park your car and wait a few minutes at the last bus stop for the one you may have just missed.

Hope this helps.

I think building 19 has one of the best views at OKW. We used to stay at Miller's Road a lot when it was the first bus stop, but now we like South Point. We usually request near the South Point pool and bus stop. Last January we had the building where the bus turns around at South Point, and I expected it to be noisy. We never heard the bus once!

We stayed in Building 17 which had a perfect view of the golf course, fountain and bridge in the distance. It was quiet and lovely. On our next trip, I wanted to try something new so we went across the way to Building 25- however it was noisy because of the balcony facing the highway behind OKW, lots of traffic noise. I would go for the 13 - 19 Villas, imo

In reality, there really aren't any HORRIBLE locations at OKW. This next trip, we made NO requests except non-smoking and will take our chances. We like trying other areas, but love the South Point area.

We have almost always stayed on Old Turtle Pond, except for one time, when we stayed at a GV on Peninsular. Our last stay was in building 46 on South Point and we loved that! Not a long walk to the bus, a little longer around to get to the pool. We always ask for non-smoking and I love a water view; I hate to have trees blocking my view because I wake with the birds and love to have coffee on the porch.

Building 19 is a smoking optional building. If you need a smoking optional building, your choices are somewhat limited.

Stayed in Building 17 and 26 - both reasonably close to HH and bus stops etc. Quite, nice views....

Loved the locations but really cannot see a bad location at OKW unless you want to be within walking distance of HH then I would see limitations on where you would want to be

thanks
jaysue

We stayed in the Southpoint area, building 52, last month. I was pleasantly surprised that we weren't bothered at all by any bus noise. However, I was a little disappointed with the noise from the highway I could hear clearly when sitting on the porch. Anyone else notice this in any buildings? I was wondering if this is a problem in the Miller's Road area, I heard somewhere that it might be.

In theory, and looking at an OKW map the following buildings could/do/are subjected to road noise while indoors - depends how sensitive guests are to the road noise as well:

As for outdoors, for example we could hear the buses in 17 and 26 but will not close enough to the roads to pick up on that noise

thanks
jaysue

Thanks for all your input. It really sounds like you almost can't miss at OKW. With that thought, should I even make a room request?

Would a better plan be to - print this out, check in early, see what's available, and check that against your suggestions here?

Gail, I think your're right about 19 being smoking optional. I remember they told me that it was smoking and if the smell bothered us we could change rooms or they would vaporize it. We never smelled a thing!

We have stayed at OKW twice and a third time coming, I would just make your important requests - for example Smoking or non-Smoking, wheelchair access (if needed) and then ask which buildings are availiable when you check in and then decide (by all means take this list or others)

Not sure if they offer all the time, but on our 2 stays, we were offered a choice of 3-4 buildings

thanks
jaysue

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter