OKW Insight needed

CanadianAli

Mouseketeer
I had just decided to go ahead and rebook AOA for my family this May (Cars Suite for me, DH, 3 yr old twins and my mother) when we got hit with the idea of booking OKW 1 bedroom. It has the largest room size by far and we thought we might be able to use the space with the kiddos. My mother has no trouble sleeping on the pull-out chair and we could put the kids in the bedroom on the king bed so that there is some defined kid space when it's bed time (I know it's odd for the parents to take the sofa bed, but it might work best actually).

Are we crazy??? Our boys liked AOA last year and the space worked, but we are now thinking this might be a good option too, with the extra sq feet. Will they miss the great theming at AOA and not like the less character-styled OKW (or will they even really care!!)? The Big Blue Pool is awesome, but the play areas at OKW's pool and around the resort also seem fantastic. We didn't like the Food court at AOA actually (find for breakfast and lunch, but dinner was not great), so that is actually a negative for us at that resort.

Any help or pros and cons?? DH and I liked OKW ourselves when we have stayed there in the past...it's just a different ballgame with the kids and I am second guessing myself.

We just stayed at OKW in a 2BR and it was very nice. But with a 1BR, you'll only have 1 bathroom unlike AOA where you'd have 2. Also, the main pool was closed in January and they have a refurb going on. Not sure when the main pool opens-hopefully by May. And there is a quick service food option at OKW but it's outdoors and doesn't have a huge selection. But at OKW you'd probably make some meals in your room with the full kitchen. Either can work as you're ok with sleeping on the pullouts, and OKW will have a more spacious living room/dining room area as well as a balcony and would be a quieter location than AOA.

Yes, the two bathrooms was definitely part of the discussion. I think AKV are the only one bedrooms with two bathrooms. That could be a consideration too! Oy! Too many choices this time!

Yes, the two bathrooms was definitely part of the discussion. I think AKV are the only one bedrooms with two bathrooms. That could be a consideration too! Oy! Too many choices this time!

Only the 1br's at Kidani at AKV have two bathrooms. The 1br's at Jambo all have only one bathroom.

BLT 1br's also have two bathrooms.

When we traveled to WDW when the kids were young, we primarily stayed at either OKW or FW Cabins. Having a kitchen with little ones seemed to help us. We ate most breakfasts and even a few dinners in, and (for mine at least) it seemed to help with stamina and attitudes. At OKW, we would rent points and do a 2 bedroom (we have 4 with an almost a 12 year age difference between oldest and youngest) . That's probably my first choice since I loved the extra space, extra bathroom, and no internal bus system with a stroller. The kids probably liked FW better, especially the campfire.

When we traveled to WDW when the kids were young, we primarily stayed at either OKW or FW Cabins. Having a kitchen with little ones seemed to help us. We ate most breakfasts and even a few dinners in, and (for mine at least) it seemed to help with stamina and attitudes. At OKW, we would rent points and do a 2 bedroom (we have 4 with an almost a 12 year age difference between oldest and youngest) . That's probably my first choice since I loved the extra space, extra bathroom, and no internal bus system with a stroller. The kids probably liked FW better, especially the campfire.

Did yours "miss" the grand theme of having Disney in their faces? I kind of like the idea of a bit less character, since they get that a ton at the parks, and frankly...they really don't know a ton of them other than Mickey, etc at this age, but I must admit they seemed to like AOA a lot last year.

I don't think AoA was an option when my kids were young -- they are almost 25, almost 22, 17, and 13 now:eek:. We didn't/don't like booking 2 rooms if we can help it, so having extreme theming like AoA or ASM was not something they ever experienced to know if they would miss it. We always focused on hidden Mickey's etc. Besides all WDW are themed compared to regular hotel rooms. :-) IMO, with 3 year olds I would choose the accommodations that I preferred and fit their needs. If that happens to be the same resort, great! Otherwise, I would wait to do a heavily themed room again until they were 5ish.

Personally, we love OKW and just stayed there the last week of January. We split a two bedroom (on rented points) with my parents so we had two bathrooms. That could honestly have been the deal breaker for us. It was me and DH, our DD 4, and my parents. Although it seems like if you have little kids, sharing a bathroom is less of a big deal. I feel like we could have 20 bathrooms and my daughter would always be in there with me anyway....

Anyway, what I was going to contribute is that another advantage of OKW is the laundry room right in the villa. We loved being able to start a load right there in our own room and go do whatever and know it would be there waiting when we got back to switch to the dryer and we wouldn't have to trek it across a resort. We can pack much less if we have that access.

Just one more thing to think about, if that matters to you!

Personally, we love OKW and just stayed there the last week of January. We split a two bedroom (on rented points) with my parents so we had two bathrooms. That could honestly have been the deal breaker for us. It was me and DH, our DD 4, and my parents. Although it seems like if you have little kids, sharing a bathroom is less of a big deal. I feel like we could have 20 bathrooms and my daughter would always be in there with me anyway....

Anyway, what I was going to contribute is that another advantage of OKW is the laundry room right in the villa. We loved being able to start a load right there in our own room and go do whatever and know it would be there waiting when we got back to switch to the dryer and we wouldn't have to trek it across a resort. We can pack much less if we have that access.

Excellent points from KyGirl! Another plus about having the laundry facilities--you don't pack as much as you'll wash & re-use. In addition to the bathroom & laundry amenities, it ROCKS Having a full size fridge & kitchen at your disposal. Even if you're planning on lots of Disney dining, it's nice to have some snacks and beverages in your room.

Oh My Goodness! 1000 times YES!!! I can't believe I forgot to mention this. Being able to do laundry is a huge bonus. So many trips we had a child that was a that potty-trained-but-not-accident-free stage that it was almost a necessity.

And the OKW bathrooms have a sink outside the door, so even though it is only one bathroom, you can still use the sink area. And since the people sleeping on the couch don't really have privacy to get changed, they can go into the laundry room which has a door, to change instead of waiting for the bathroom to free up.

Thanks everyone. These are all great things to consider. What about the amenities...pool, playground, transportation, etc?

Old key west is wonderful. I'd stay there in a heartbeat over art of animation even without the extra bath. As someone said the only second bathroom amenity missing is the toilet. The space is great. Excellent restaurant, gorgeous pools (my kids prefer the quiet ones), community hall for games and activities, campfire, a free tour (well worth taking). Boat to Disney Springs. Peaceful. A balcony with a full size table for eating out or enjoying a drink.

And there is a community hall at OKW!! Great for arts and crafts, for a rainy day or time out of the sun. It is right next door to my favorite little bar! And it is right at the pool which is fantastic. Hot tub, sauna at the main pool. Hot tubs at all quiet pools. They have a playground and boat ride to DS. The counter service is very small--but the sit down restaurant, Olivia's, is great and reasonable (for Disney). We love it there and manage a week in a one bedroom w myself, dh and three teenage girls!

The twin sleeper chair isn't too bad at OKW. The sleeper sofa is not good. It's good enough for kids though. Mom & Dad need to sleep in the king sized bed. Just sit out on the porch after you put them to bed on the sleeper sofa. You can go in and out via the door from the bedroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter