OKW had no magic, but trip was great! (with pics)

lenshanem

DIS Veteran
Saturday, 10/2/04 - Tuesday, 10/5/04
Hubby and I ALONE trip…
Trip of firsts - First time leaving my youngest, first time at OKW, first MNSSHP, first Food and Wine and first (somewhat) visit to the Adventurers Club!

Yes, I left my youngest for the first time ever and we all survived just fine! (Many of you know I was a nervous wreck!) My girls (six and three) split their time with both sets of our parents and hubby and I enjoyed three nights away at WDW! They had a great time and stayed busy, but I was glad when my little one held onto me for almost an hour after I got home with the best hug ever! (Course, my oldest was asking when I’d go away again…)

OKW (I’ll start with the disappointing and move onto the good…) -
Hubby had stayed here once before with his Dad last Braves spring training, but this was my first time there. No magic for us! We got a late start on Saturday as hubby had to go into work. We left Atlanta around six and were making great time until we went through a downpour and shortly after traffic for a truck that had hit a bridge and split in two dispersing cargo everywhere. We noticed mainly a lot of tree and sign damage from the hurricanes, 192 looked rough. Got to OKW shortly after midnight.

It appeared they had already checked us in when we got there as our info was sitting up on the counter already along with about five other reservations. I confirmed with her that we had a nonsmoking studio and knew that this late at night our request for near Turtle Pond pool was useless. I asked her if we had a non handicapped studio. She left us at the desk for about five minutes, came back and said that we did have a tub. Great, we’re tired and left for our room…

Immediately we realized we might have the worst room at OKW?!? It was 5010 at the end of South Point Road complete opposite from the bus stop, sitting very close to a busy road - Buena Vista Drive, I think? And it was handicap! I called and told them they told us it wasn’t less than five minutes ago. Got put on hold for about ten minutes for them to come back and tell us they couldn’t move us anywhere. Room smelled AWFUL! Yuck, what was that smell? It was like a bad smell covered up by a bad scent. No shelf space, no cabinet space… THEN, I closed the curtains to discover a lizard on it! So hubby and I spent the next thirty minutes chasing it around the room. I called the front desk and they told me to just leave our door open?!? OK, it was about 1:30 in the morning at this point. I finally got it trapped and we went to sleep with the sounds of traffic noise… It felt like I was at a Holiday Inn off the Interstate.

Next morning I call down THREE times trying to get a standard size ironing board, finally gave up and left. I also asked for extra bath mats as the shower poured water onto the floor and was a mess. Never got the mats, but later came back and found the ironing board. Water pressure was about good enough to bathe maybe a mouse? (And I’m not talking Mickey size here…) Room was in fairly good condition minus the smell, still debris on the patio and chairs piled up from the hurricane the weekend before.

Slide report - Construction workers were busy each day we were there. It was boarded up around the Hospitality House, but you could see some work from across the river. All I could really see was a very large mound of dirt and workers standing around it each day. Parking space at Hospitality House and surroundings villas were taken up by many trucks, etc. Hopefully the slide will be completed on time cause they were definitely working on it.

OK, now on to the GOOD stuff…
SUNDAY (Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party) -
Started off the day going to MGM and riding all the rides my oldest is too scared to ride. Hit everything we wanted to in just a few hours and at a very relaxing pace.

Went back to OKW to take a small nap and change into our costumes for MNSSHP. As many of you know hubby was very excited about dressing up as the Mad Hatter and myself as Alice, but I was really dreading it! I felt odd walking out of our room and to the bus stop, but as soon as we got on the bus everyone was telling us we looked great. I must admit we didn’t see many adults dressed up, or even that many kids for that matter, but we LOVED it. It just felt normal to be dressed up inside the MK. Weird, but true! It was funny how everyone that walked by us would have to announce us - Mad Hatter and Alice. Mad Hatter and Alice. Mad Hatter and Alice… You get the idea! Poor hubby was so hot in his costume. It was very humid. I’m so glad I brought along bobby socks to wear instead of the tights I had bought.

We ate at the LTT for dinner and then were PUSHED over to Tomorrowland to wait for the party despite it being close to seven. Rides were walk ons, but yet the park seemed happily crowed. I think the longest we waited was about ten minutes for both Peter Pan and Buzz. We were able to ride everything we wanted to plus watch the fireworks and parade. We even had our palms and tarot cards read. Wow, was she off the mark on me! She told me I don’t like to plan the details! Obviously, she hasn’t seen me plan a WDW trip! She did tell me I had two kids and might have a third, where I stopped her! No third please!

AngieBelle spotted me on Main Street and came up and told me I didn’t look like a dork. I got a big laugh out of that! (I had an earlier thread about feeling like a dork in my costume.) Then scoutsmom99 came up behind me at Peter Pan and told me I didn’t look Amish. Once again, another reference to my thread! Then another DISer spotted me and about that time I think hubby was starting to get freaked out that people were recognizing me! We also hooked up with vettechick99 and her fiancé. She lives near me, but we’ve never met. They were very nice and cute!

MNSSHP was a blast and worth every extra penny. We left with bags full of candy and both agreed once the kids get a tad older and could stay up that late we would bring them even if they have to miss a couple days of school. Best costumes we saw were a group dressed up from Willy Wonka. Fab costumes!

MONDAY (Food and Wine Festival, Adventurers Club) -
After sleeping in a tad, we went to Epcot for the Food and Wine Festival for lunch. We spent a small fortune drinking and eating our way around the world. YIKES! This was the most money we spent the entire trip. (The Ice Wine in Canada was quite yummy.) We also confirmed our suspicion hubby is now allergic to honey. He drank a beer and immediately broke out! Just one more food to add to our families list of allergies. UGH!

Another DISer spotted my DIS lime green button on my backpack and then a nice couple who saw us the night before at MNSSHP came up and commented on our costumes. They also ate at the LTT for MNSSHP and sat across from us during dinner. They were SSR owners.

Went back to OKW and changed for our night out. We took the boat from the Hospitality House (got in a few games of ping pong at Community Hall while waiting) to DTD (very nice ride) and used our AP discount and Disney Visa Rewards at the World of Disney to buy for everyone. Then we ate at Portobello’s with our DVC discount. It was nice, but hubby fussed cause he would have preferred Fulton’s. (This was our only disagreement the whole trip!)

After dinner we headed for the Adventures Club. We got there early and immediately began drinking and joined the club. Kungaloosh! We had only been here once years ago before we had kids and didn’t stick around long enough to get it. I must say we LOVED it! We had wanted to go over to the Comedy Warehouse at one point, but never made it! We stayed here all night long and it was a BLAST. We even ran into vettechick99 and her fiancé again. This was definitely worth using one of our extra plus options we had stashed away for future trips.

We took the bus back to OKW and had the most friendly bus driver. It seems we get at least one of these drivers each trip - He told facts, etc. and was very nice to listen to even at such a late hour.

TUESDAY -
Waking up with a small hangover from the Adventurers Club we packed up and headed over to AK. Rode a few rides, then ate lunch at the Rainforest Café using our DVC discount. Stuffed, we headed for home and only had to stop a couple times and made it back home in about six and a half hours (including Atlanta traffic!). Along the way we saw hundreds and hundreds of power trucks from various states leaving Florida. It was nice to see them (Even if half of them stopped at Hooters on I75!).

Despite the lack of magic we felt at OKW, the trip was so much fun. I am now really looking forward to our ten year wedding anniversary trip at VWL next February. It should be a little easier leaving the girls next time now that I have done it once. I really let it go this trip. You should have seen our room! At one point hubby started cleaning up, something he never does! I’m so used to taking care of everyone I just really chilled out this trip! And every time I saw a crying three year old I just smiled knowingly with plenty of sympathy. We even had one woman apologize for their child and I told her I understood all too well!

Only catch is we have OKW booked for spring break next April with the girls and now I’m a little worried. I had thought my oldest would like the new slide, but I’m worried we’ll end up in another handicap studio. It turned out to be fine for us, but with two little ones we would really need the shelf and cabinet space along with a tub. Plus, to be honest I think that toilet seat was pretty high and I doubt either of them could hop up there on their own. OKW definitely has a different feel to it, I think I like the hotel feel better. I just felt really removed here. But, I already have spring break booked and we’ll be able to stay a full week with the lower points. Pluses and minues I guess!

Observations – Getting trading pins is like winning the lottery. I wanted to start collecting special event pins for any we attend. MNSSHP was sold out (ended up getting a different night pin, so it was OK) then Food and Wine pin was sold out. Geez… So I’m stuck looking on ebay for that one. I had also wanted an OKW Christmas ornament but it was out at OKW and at DTD. I was out of luck, at least I bought myself a cute Alice purse. Got girls another charm for their bracelet. I love this idea of a new charm each trip!

Here’s some links to pics of us (I promised on my dork costume thread so I must deliver!) -

A "normal" picture of hubby and I

Hubby and I dressed as the Mad Hatter and Alice

Me with Alice and gang

Hubby with Alice

Thanks for the report!!! I hope the room at OKW was just a fluke???? YIKES!!! Very unmagical.

The pics are precious!!! I love the costumes, and you did not look like an Amish Cracker Barrel waitress---you looked adorable :)

Great report and I'm so glad you had a good time without the children! Disney for adults is awesome.

I just noticed that you are from Atlanta...we're northeast of the city in Gwinnett County...and I am so curious to know how you made it back in 6 1/2 hours! We made it in 7 1/2 after Labor Day and that was staying about 5-10 mph over the speed limit. Just curious if your route is different or you live more south of the city.

Funny, I forgot about hubby telling me I looked like I worked at Cracker Barrel! :rotfl:

Course, this was before it was hemmed about a foot and the frilly lace was taken off the collar! :eek:

kenziesmamaw, we live in Marietta. We went to Highway 192 to Route 27 to Florida Turnpike to I75. Oh, and we were driving fast.
:p Only stopped twice - once for gas, second at a rest stop. If the kids would have been with us I'm sure it would have been another two hours.

Yep, looks like not arriving late is a good plan, unless you're only staying there on night. Ouch, tough break on the room!

Thanks for the very detailed report. Loved the pix! Having never been to a Cracker Barrel, I thought only of Alice upon seeing your costume.
::yes::

I keep thinking that DW would make a great Mary Poppins, if Mary Poppins were a tax lawyer;). Maybe another year (yeah right!)

Great report and great costumes!!! I think the costume was really cute!!

I'm so glad you had a great trip!! It is SOO rare to hear bad stuff about OKW...here's hoping it was a fluke!!

You look soooo cute..I never imagined you as a blonde...it's weird have we have pictures of people in our mind!!!

:wave:

Beca

I can't believe you were worried about the costume..really you both look wonderful..had read your post and so glad you posted the pix..You could work for Disney thats how great you looked..also glad you both had a good time..have fun on your next trip..Marianne :wave:

Shan,

Did you have to request the lizard when you made the reservation, or could you do it a check-in?

And the costumes are great; you're right about feeling at home "in costume" at the MK. At last year's MNSSHP, DW was a cat and I was (duh) a doctor; with our 'Guest of Honor' name-tags, people kept mistaking us for Cast Members!

Glad you had fun - next time, try SSR! ;)

Great costumes!!! We LOVE the Adventurers' Club too. We go each trip. Quick question. Did you call ahead to OKW to let them know that you were going to be late for check in? Whenever we've had a late check in because of delay or just taking a late flight, I've called the day before and the day of to confirm the late arrival and to check about our room requests. They've always been accomodating and have always had the type of room that we requested ready for us when we got there. When delayed, I keep them updated as to arrival time if it's later than originally anticipated. Just a suggestion. It's worked for us even with a 1:30 am arrival.

Thanks for the great report Shan!

You and your DH look great in your costumes and very relaxed :teeth:

How cute are you two??? The costumes are GREAT ! So sorry you didn't enjoy OKW. Give it another try in April and hopefully the experience will be different.

Your costumes look fabulous! I'm pretty sure we saw you there, but I didn't know it was you. Our pictures from the party came yesterday, it took less than a week. We had tees on, I was a pumpkin face and DH had a superman tee. He got lots of positive comments and had a good time, our sons gave him that tee years ago, and he just needed an "event" to wear it to.

I loved the "walk on" aspects of the rides that night.

I do wish you have a better OKW experience the next time. We had a great time there, DH wondered if we needed OKW points.

Bobbi:D

Thanks for sharing your trip report and great pictures with us. You guys look great. Good for you that you don't worry if anyone else is dressed up or not.

Sweet! I'd pick you over the "real" Alice any day! :lovestruc

Thanks for the report!

Sorry your OKW stay was less than magical. Just my opinion, but I would rather spend the extra points to stay at another resort for a studio - I have not had good luck with OKW studios and don't like that most of them are now overgrown with shrubbery. However, our stays in 2brs have been find.

The room aside, I would be most disappointed with them not knowing it was hcp and not responding well to your maintenance requests. I hope that you write in to them to report it.

And I'm with you on liking the hotel feel better. It really is just a personal preference, and nothing reflecting on a resort.

Costumes are very cute and SO impressed to see the Walrus character! How unusual!

Glad you had a nice trip.

Thanks for posting such a great trip report, notwithstanding your unhappy feeling about OKW. I am so excited about my first MNNSHP and FWF:jester:

Loved your costumes :sunny: Hope you get a great OKW room next time::yes::

Lisa:sunny:

Thanks everyone for the replies!

pumpkinboy, I really think our room was due to the late arrival. I guess if anyone had to have the bad room it might as well be us. We were alone without the kids and had nobody we wanted to impress with us. All worked out well in the end, turned out to be just a place to sleep.

Marianne, I would love to work at WDW as a character! Course, I'm now 33... I keep thinking when hubby retires we could move there and I could be a mouse or something. I'm short - 4'11". When we walked into the MK a CM came over to us and asked us to please not pose for pictures or sign any autographs. We did have one couple ask to take our picture and I didn't even think about it until later... Then another CM came up to me and told me I fit the requirements for Alice perfectly. I really got a kick out of that! :hyper: An old Alice?!?

DrTomorrow, yep that lizard gave us a workout that night! Man, that was a fast thing! We were down on the floor trying to catch it. We both agreed we wouldn't be able to sleep knowing it was moving all around the walls. After we caught it, we were both WIRED. I think I probably fell asleep around 2:30 maybe?
Besides the things I mentioned, the room was actually very clean except for that smell! Only thing I noticed was some kid had drawn all over the table with a pen. I really hate that. I always put up the pens as soon as we get into any hotel room cause I do have an "artist".

vida mickey, I had mentioned to hubby about calling to let them know we'd be so late. I will do this next time! When you said you had called the day before did you call MS or OKW front desk?

Bobbi, I knew you were going to both OKW and MNSSHP. I wish you would have said hello! I would have loved to meet you! Glad you had a nice time!

erik, :love2:

kathleena, I am now debating on changing our spring break ressie to another resort. I can't believe I gave up our BCV ressie! I wonder if I can even switch to another one now? Guess I would have to waitlist. I really think the woman at the desk told a fib to get us out of there. How could she have been gone for five minutes (We were the only ones in there.) and come back and tell us the room wasn't handicap accessible.
I wish we had more points. For now we prefer to book studios while the kids are small so we can get more trips out of it.
I was excited to see the Walrus. I don't think I've ever seen him before. And other CMs were coming up to him and saying he looked great. Maybe he is a new costume? I actually had about eight Alice characters around me for that pose, but hubby couldn't fit them all in where we were standing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter