• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ok, I need the Dining Plan Experts...

MickeysMommy

DIS Veteran
I will be taking my mom down to WDW in September for our birthdays. This will be the first trip without my Dad who passed away 2 weeks ago. We are going for him (and for us too as it has always been the 3 of us). Anyway, my question is that the Dining Plan sounds great. We usually eat at the resort for breakfast and then I am figuring we will use our CS and TS at the parks for lunch and dinner. We don't really usually order apps or desserts but since it's included we should. I am really just trying to figure out if it's good for us to do. I mean we can order the Filet Mignon if we want right? Something we normally wouldn't do because it's so expensive plus we can order an app and dessert. Seems like a lot of food but you don't have to eat it all. Sound like I have it right?

MickeysMommy said:
I will be taking my mom down to WDW in September for our birthdays. This will be the first trip without my Dad who passed away 2 weeks ago. We are going for him (and for us too as it has always been the 3 of us). Anyway, my question is that the Dining Plan sounds great. We usually eat at the resort for breakfast and then I am figuring we will use our CS and TS at the parks for lunch and dinner. We don't really usually order apps or desserts but since it's included we should. I am really just trying to figure out if it's good for us to do. I mean we can order the Filet Mignon if we want right? Something we normally wouldn't do because it's so expensive plus we can order an app and dessert. Seems like a lot of food but you don't have to eat it all. Sound like I have it right?
Yes the plan is alot of food but you do not have to order an app entree and dessert if you dont want or just dont eat it all. You could also share a meal and use vcredits to go to a 2 t/s rest the next day. you can get filet at any of the rest we wwnt to on our triop in dec so i assume that it is offered at all places. I shared melas with my son a couple of times and then we had a meal the last day with the credits we had left. we also did not get desserts some days we still came out ahead than if we would have paid for everything we ate. the plan was 114 a day for the three of us so 798 for week and our bills totalled to 1200 ish. so if we would have not had the plan and ate ate the same places we would have spent 400 more. this is a good deal. And on top of that we did not have to eat at c/s places for all our meals like we usually do.

first and foremost, i am sorry for the loss of your dad... but what a great way to heal...

as far as the dining plan goes... you have the basics down pat... it can be a lot of food depending on how you order/where you choose to eat... we found taking our desserts to go was the way to go and we often ate them for midnight snack or breakfast :)

i too am sorry for the loss of your father.

MickeysMommy said:
Seems like a lot of food but you don't have to eat it all. Sound like I have it right?
Yes you DO have to eat all the food you order or they wont let you leave the table................. :rotfl2:

seriously.......go for the dining plan- you will have so much fun trying different places-- pick all the expensive TS restaurants and BE SURE to order the most expensive items....you both deserve it! :love:

Thanks guys! I thought I had it down pat but just wanted to make sure. I knew someone here could help me :wave2:

One thing you have to take into account. If you eat breakfast at your resort everyday and it is a sit down restaurant and you use the DP for that meal, that will count as a table service meal. If you plan to use those credits for dinner then you would have to pay for those breakfasts separately. If you are at a resort with a food court then your breakfasts will count as a counter service meal. So plan your meals accordingly so you don't use up your credits before your visit is over.

My condolences and have a good trip.

One thing you have to take into account. If you eat breakfast at your resort everyday and it is a sit down restaurant and you use the DP for that meal, that will count as a table service meal. If you plan to use those credits for dinner then you would have to pay for those breakfasts separately. If you are at a resort with a food court then your breakfasts will count as a counter service meal. So plan your meals accordingly so you don't use up your credits before your visit is over.

My advice which adds to the above is dont use the dining plan for Breakfast, I think you get more bang for your buck with Lunch and Dinners :) We especially liked going to Captain Jacks and splurging on the surf and turf which I believe should have been $35 an entree. Also at some of our counter services we gave desserts away to other families, we had enough peanut butter sundaes to go around :)

My adult DD and I were on the dining plan during our trip last year. We shared a CS for breakfast and shared another CS for lunch. We always had plenty of food. Then we used the TS credits in the evening and really enjoyed ourselves. We had people come up to us in the food court and tell us not to use the DP for breakfast because it was a better deal for lunch. But by sharing these we never purchased any additional food other than the DP. So I think it was a great value. And we never went hungry.

MickeysMommy said:
You know that if you wanted to you and your mom could share a cs for breakfast and one for lunch and then eat the big dinner. I'm thinking about doing that with my son. He doesn't usually eat a whole lot at lunch and I don't eat a whole lot at breakfast. :banana:

Carol1973 said:
My adult DD and I were on the dining plan during our trip last year. We shared a CS for breakfast and shared another CS for lunch. We always had plenty of food. Then we used the TS credits in the evening and really enjoyed ourselves. We had people come up to us in the food court and tell us not to use the DP for breakfast because it was a better deal for lunch. But by sharing these we never purchased any additional food other than the DP. So I think it was a great value. And we never went hungry.

That's a good idea...then you won't be so stuffed for the appetizer & dessert at your table service!
Also, I think the plan will ALMOST pay for itself for you just with a pricey entree (don't forget that tax & tip is also covered)...and then the appetizers & dessert are a bonus...and FUN! which I wholeheartedly agree you deserve.

I am so sorry about the loss of your father. I hope you will have a beautiful trip with your mother.

My husband and I finally figured out a strategy to deal with the large amounts of food you recieve on the dining plan when we used it in July. We would use one CS credit for breakfast and one for lunch, splitting both meals. We didn't feel too full and, after figuring this out on the second day, never paid for any meals the rest of the week.

You can order anything you want! Do it, your mom and you deserve to eat like queens. :wizard:

maddhatir said:
i too am sorry for the loss of your father.

Yes you DO have to eat all the food you order or they wont let you leave the table................. :rotfl2:

seriously.......go for the dining plan- you will have so much fun trying different places-- pick all the expensive TS restaurants and BE SURE to order the most expensive items....you both deserve it! :love:
This is not true. When we were there in December we took away the left overs on some nights because my DS 12 did not feel good and couldn't eat or was just too full. So they will give you your meal to go, not from a buffet though but from sit downs you can.

twinsmamma said:
This is not true. When we were there in December we took away the left overs on some nights because my DS 12 did not feel good and couldn't eat or was just too full. So they will give you your meal to go, not from a buffet though but from sit downs you can.

i was just kidding............. :)

Thank you all for your replies. I should have said that we will not be using the DP for breakfast. Mainly because I don't usually eat a big breakfast - I usually just get a muffin or croissant so I don't want to "waste" my DP on that. We stay at CBR so we will just get something from they food court.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter