• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ok dis drs...whats up?

actually prozac is prescribed this way for PMS and PMDD
heres a link.....'Taking low-dose Prozac (fluoxetine) for a few days during the premenstrual period shows promise in preventing the negative and emotional symptoms associated with PMS (premenstrual syndrome), neuroscientists at the University of Birmingham, England have revealed. PMS affects millions of women globally.'...........

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/201778.php

It might be prescribed that way, but it doesn't work that way. What it's banking on is the psychological recovery from that temporary usage, not the physiological recovery that comes from consistent usage.

That being said, ADs carry their own nasty brands of symptoms and I believe they should be avoided at all costs unless very, very necessary.

Get those blood tests done. Check for vitamin deficiencies and see where your body is hormonally.

It might be prescribed that way, but it doesn't work that way. What it's banking on is the psychological recovery from that temporary usage, not the psychosocial recovery that comes from consistent usage.

That being said, ADs carry their own nasty brands of symptoms and I believe they should be avoided at all costs unless very, very necessary.

Get those blood tests done. Check for vitamin deficiencies and see where your body is hormonally.
well i have never studies ssri so i cant comment on how they work ..... i have only worked in drug discovery in cardiocvascular pharmacolgy and immunopharamacology............i was just responding to the response that she needed a new doctor cause of how meds were prescribed when it is a legitamet way of prescribing prozac............as to weather AD's should be avoided at all costs i can not agree they have helped many people.....i tried them for peri symptoms for a few weeks and i could not tolerate them but everyone is different..... cause they did not work for me does not mean they will not work for someone else...........but i agree get your blood work done and see what your doc thinks

35 symptoms of perimenapause
Hot flashes, flushes, night sweats and/or cold flashes, clammy feeling (see note)
Irregular heart beat
Irritability
Mood swings, sudden tears
Trouble sleeping through the night (with or without night sweats)
Irregular periods; shorter, lighter periods; heavier periods, flooding; phantom periods, shorter cycles, longer cycles
Loss of libido (see note)
Dry ****** (see note)
Crashing fatigue
Anxiety, feeling ill at ease
Feelings of dread, apprehension, doom (see note)
Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion
Disturbing memory lapses
Incontinence, especially upon sneezing, laughing; urge incontinence (see note)
Itchy, crawly skin (see note)
Aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons (see note)
Increased tension in muscles
Breast tenderness
Headache change: increase or decrease
Gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas pain, nausea
Sudden bouts of bloat
Depression (see note)
Exacerbation of existing conditions
Increase in allergies
Weight gain (see note)
Hair loss or thinning, head, pubic, or whole body; increase in facial hair
Dizziness, light-headedness, episodes of loss of balance
Changes in body odor
Electric shock sensation under the skin and in the head (see note)
Tingling in the extremities (see note)
Gum problems, increased bleeding
Burning tongue, burning roof of mouth, bad taste in mouth, change in breath odor
Osteoporosis (after several years)
Changes in fingernails: softer, crack or break easier
Tinnitus: ringing in ears, bells, 'whooshing,' buzzing etc. (see note)

Thanks for the info. No, I have not had my annual in 2yrs...time to go. I don't believe I have had my blood done in 6 yrs - with my last kid it seems like I had them ck my thyroid . My mom has been on synthroid forever now.
I can't compare my mom - she had a hysterectomy in her late 20s.

So, I need to request the bloodwork - I take it - they don't automatically do this as part of an exam? I need to ck my insurance & see how it's covered (if its not part of the yearly exam).

Will all those things be cked on one panel or do I need to specify all the things you mentioned (thyroid, b12, etc)?

I'm going to ck out the other thread

some of those 35 symptoms I've had for years.

Mainly the incontience - since my 3rd child was born!

Thanks for the info. No, I have not had my annual in 2yrs...time to go. I don't believe I have had my blood done in 6 yrs - with my last kid it seems like I had them ck my thyroid . My mom has been on synthroid forever now.

So, I need to request the bloodwork - I take it - they don't automatically do this as part of an exam? I need to ck my insurance & see how it's covered (if its not part of the yearly exam).

Will all those things be cked on one panel or do I need to specify all the things you mentioned (thyroid, b12, etc)?

Yes most Dr.s do the workup with a physical. When you go in ask though. My GP does not order all of the tests but my Gyno does.

Just have a list of tests that you need done along with your drs normal list.

Thyroid - most insurance will pay for a normal test and then for the T3-T4 if it comes out abnormal. BUT ASK YOUR insurance, if they will pay with the original draw.

D - there are a few other D, D3 I believe is additional. My insurance had to be coded special to get paid for. So this is also something you want to ask insurance ahead of time.

B12 has always been included in my normal workup, but it is very important, so ask.

Hormone levels - my GP gave me a hard time then said I was not in perimenopause. Took the results to my Gyno who was grateful it was done for a baseline and YES she said I was definitely in perimenopause.

So the most important thing you can do is make a list. An HONEST list. Then ask your insurance what is and isn't covered. For instance if you tell the doctor your ear hurts during a physical with my insurance it is not longer a physical and I am responsible for the copay while a physical is free.

I would also make an appt with the Gyno and get your PAP and Mamo done if you haven't done this either.

Preventative care is so important and can save you money BIG time.

Don't be worried, just make the list and then make the calls and get the appointment.

Feel better.:flower3::flower3:

Cripes! You have not had bloodwork done in 6yrs?:faint:

Is your PCP a good doctor or not? If you tell your PCP your symptoms and say you want a blood panel to rule out stuff will the doc go over it with you?

Have a list prepared when you go in. (I see PP above me described it in detail, yea!)

Plus you need to get your cholesterol & blood sugar checked and that is a fasting blood panel.

Yep, time to get yourself together!!!:thumbsup2

Yeah you really need to get in there and get a good look over and work up. Six years is far too long.

Every insurance is different. As an example, my insurance pays for the complete thyroid panel, not just the regular one and then the others if it shows up abnormal. Actually I've never had my health insurance not cover any type of bloodwork.

Also, luvmyfam, if your mother has thyroid issues more than likely you will at some point have them as well.

Definitely get a physical! It doesn't necessarily have to be anything serious (though you do need to look into the depression).

I was feeling draggy over the last year, then I realized that I was spending far too much time sitting down. It's a bit of a vicious circle, isn't it? You lack energy, so you don't move, so you end up lacking more energy. In my case, the kick in the butt was a UTI I couldn't seem to kick.

So... Vitamin D (the doctor told me I could take more than the recommended, up to 2000 mg a day). Vitamin C (good for preventing UTIs apparently). Kegels (also good for the UTIs, and for urinary continence if you have issues with that). And most especially... exercise! I get outside when I can, which makes the dog happy. I also bought a Kinect game system so that I can move indoors on the days it's not nice to get out. When I start to feel down or draggy, instead of napping I get up and move. I often feel just as refreshed afterward, as I do after a nap.

And I try not to spend too much time parked on my butt. It's amazing what a difference it makes to your mood, when you're up and active.

40 is not over the hill!!!! Its practically teenagerhoodom!! Cripes..if 40 is over the hill whats 50? 40,50,60... is prime time!

It was meant to be funny...come on laugh :rotfl2: I'm not quite 40, but some of the days I have had lately, I sure feel over the hill.

Thyroid problems could cause the fatigue, fuzzy brain and feelings of depression as well. Has your Dr tested your thyroid?

Yes I was going to say the same thing. I have a thyroid issue so i'd know. Definitely try to get your thyroid levels checked. prior to being diagnosed I have most of those symptoms.

And quite honestly, i cant believe your Dr would prescribe prozac so easily. I'd get another dr.

I did have my thyroid cked - but 6 yrs ago.

So bloodwork is something that needs to be done on a regular basis? :confused3 I thought that was something only done when there may be a problem.

I do not go to a dr on a regular basis other than an obgyn - but I slacked last year there - so its now been 2 yrs there...plan to make an appt ASAP for that.

If I'm sick I'll go a doc in the box - an urgent care place. In 7 yrs we've lived here I think I've been to the doc 1or 2 times. - that's NOT counting the obgyn. and I was under a cariologist for a bit while preggo.

So bloodwork is something that needs to be done on a regular basis? :confused3 I thought that was something only done when there may be a problem.

I do not go to a dr on a regular basis other than an obgyn - but I slacked last year there - so its now been 2 yrs there...plan to make an appt ASAP for that.

If I'm sick I'll go a doc in the box - an urgent care place. In 7 yrs we've lived here I think I've been to the doc 1or 2 times. - that's NOT counting the obgyn. and I was under a cariologist for a bit while preggo.

Now, now OP--it's been 19 days since you made your first post with all of your symptoms. Based on the above, are you telling me you STILL haven't gone to the doc to get this checked out?

I am like you. I no longer go to the doctor unless I have to. As a result, I have no established relationship with an general practiction. We have one in town who is supposed to be "the best." I've been to him a few times and I just don't care for him so that does not help when I have a problem. I am established with an endocrinologist for my thyroid cancer but that's it. Oh and GYN of course.

Anyway, thyroid checks become part of a routine physical for a woman probably after your 40s. If you have an annual physical, it would be checked annually but, barring any symptoms, checking it every 5 years is good too.

Having it checked once in a lifetime is not standard. The thyroid gland can start to fail at any point in your life so you'd probably always want to get a baseline and then check it periodically, especially with symptoms like yours.

Yes, bloodwork EVERY year.

A physical every year is advisable. That is generally when you get your blood work done. Testing for thyroid, cholesterol, blood sugar, and the basic stuff should be a yearly thing. I also insist on testing my liver because I have had bad readings in the past.

The key here is that you need a baseline for all of your stuff. The reason you go yearly is that you can compare the current results with last year results.

If you do not like your PCP, find one that you do like. I know how hard that it is. Urgent care is fine for a cold/flu thing however fatigue and other stuff should be handled with your PCP.

Now go, make an appt. ASAP.;)

If they check your thyroid make sure they are not just doing the TSH test but doing the t-3 and t-4 test. I complained for over 10 years of the same things you are and I always got that my thyroid was normal. Well..last year I finally went to see an endocrinologist and they did the full work up and my thyroid was a mess. I was reading as hyperthyroid but had zero hyper symptoms, all my symptoms were hypo. I had my thyroid killed with nuclear medicine over a year ago and they are still trying to "fix" me. It caused so many other issues.

I also need to take prescription Vitamin D because my body does not hold onto the levels at all. Normally I take 1000 mgs a day but they test me every 3 months and the regular does nothing...so now they just keep me on the presciption stuff for 3 months at a time.

Unfortunately so many symptoms mimic the whole peri stuff and the doctors tend to poo-poo them because "you know you are over 40 and this is what happens as you get older". :rolleyes::sad2:

Now, now OP--it's been 19 days since you made your first post with all of your symptoms. Based on the above, are you telling me you STILL haven't gone to the doc to get this checked out?

This!

Go get that physical with a full thyroid panel not just TSH. Don't just accept not feeling well.

njcarita said:
35 symptoms of perimenapause
Hot flashes, flushes, night sweats and/or cold flashes, clammy feeling (see note)
Irregular heart beat
Irritability
Mood swings, sudden tears
Trouble sleeping through the night (with or without night sweats)
Irregular periods; shorter, lighter periods; heavier periods, flooding; phantom periods, shorter cycles, longer cycles
Loss of libido (see note)
Dry ****** (see note)
Crashing fatigue
Anxiety, feeling ill at ease
Feelings of dread, apprehension, doom (see note)
Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion
Disturbing memory lapses
Incontinence, especially upon sneezing, laughing; urge incontinence (see note)
Itchy, crawly skin (see note)
Aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons (see note)
Increased tension in muscles
Breast tenderness
Headache change: increase or decrease
Gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas pain, nausea
Sudden bouts of bloat
Depression (see note)
Exacerbation of existing conditions
Increase in allergies
Weight gain (see note)
Hair loss or thinning, head, pubic, or whole body; increase in facial hair
Dizziness, light-headedness, episodes of loss of balance
Changes in body odor
Electric shock sensation under the skin and in the head (see note)
Tingling in the extremities (see note)
Gum problems, increased bleeding
Burning tongue, burning roof of mouth, bad taste in mouth, change in breath odor
Osteoporosis (after several years)
Changes in fingernails: softer, crack or break easier
Tinnitus: ringing in ears, bells, 'whooshing,' buzzing etc. (see note)

A lot of these symptoms can easily be related to other factors including nutrition, personal care, aging, and a host of other things. Most of the femalepopulation hhave some ofhese "symptoms." People always want to blame it on menopause which find kind of annoying. Go to your doctor for a well-check. Blood work should included (It is with our insurance).

I'm 48 and still feel great! Live a healthy lifestyle and take 2000 IU of Vitamin D to help with your lethargic/sleepiness. Your doctor can fill in the other blanks.

You can't take Prozac for one week a month...it is a drug that has to build up as well as wean off of...I would look at a new dr.

I have never heard of taking the medication for one week at a time. At the very least I would ask for more clarification on this.

As others have mentioned, have them check your parathyroid, thyroid, and vitamin D. I have extremely low levels of D and maybe an issue with my parathyroid.

I feel so much better after taking mega doses of Vit D (prescription). My levels are still on the low side, but even still - I feel so much better.

Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter