• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ok Car People

I was wondering if the accident had damaged the fuel pump relay that is supposed to shut off the fuel pump when in a bad accident. No fuel in it would produce the same result.
In every vehicle I've ever had I've gotten a pretty good warning when the alternator was going bad. It would not start but take a jump, or the battery light would come on if it happened during a long drive.

I was wondering if the accident had damaged the fuel pump relay that is supposed to shut off the fuel pump when in a bad accident. No fuel in it would produce the same result.
In every vehicle I've ever had I've gotten a pretty good warning when the alternator was going bad. It would not start but take a jump, or the battery light would come on if it happened during a long drive.
It's the fuel sensor. My service "advisor" sent me a video with the technician describing how the sensor is supposed to work and then saying when he opened it up "this (the sensor) was off it's track and stuck like that and has been reading full for I don't know how long." "The issue is when it popped up, it bent this thing out of the way... "

While I was hoping before the accident caused my issue (a little too much of a coincidence), this even cements it more in my mind. Whether insurance accepts it is a different story.

I'm still going to try to get this repair ($1300) reimbursed by insurance for the accident.
Now I know why I have known people who drive cars with inoperable fuel gauges.

That is pricy.

I would be tempted to just fill up every 3-4 days to ensure I didn't run out of gas and wait to get it fixed until I knew if it would be covered by the accident. If not covered I would probably continue to drive it without a working gauge.

Now I know why I have known people who drive cars with inoperable fuel gauges.

That is pricy.

I would be tempted to just fill up every 3-4 days to ensure I didn't run out of gas and wait to get it fixed until I knew if it would be covered by the accident. If not covered I would probably continue to drive it without a working gauge.
The bolded would have been my plan IF I knew that was a problem. I did think "no gas" when the car died last night, but the fuel gauge was full (I didn't think how long it had been since I filled up), and I would have expected an engine to sputter and die from fuel starvation, and it just sort of coasted to a stop.

I should have noticed the fuel gauge not going down, but I honestly didn't think of it. I knew my trip odometer was higher than normal (I reset 99% of the time I get a full tank), but thought this was one of the 1% of time I forgot to reset it.

Try resetting your fuel pump shutoff. The button should be hidden somewhere in your trunk. Modern cars......ones with electric fuel pumps instead of the fashioned mechanical ones....... have a fuel shutoff shutoff that is triggered when it senses an impact. This prevents fuel from being pumped all over in an accident where the fuel tank might be damaged.

Try resetting your fuel pump shutoff. The button should be hidden somewhere in your trunk. Modern cars......ones with electric fuel pumps instead of the fashioned mechanical ones....... have a fuel shutoff shutoff that is triggered when it senses an impact. This prevents fuel from being pumped all over in an accident where the fuel tank might be damaged.
It's the fuel sensor.

Ha, no gas. Have to admit that is funny.

Neighbor across the street has his motorcycle out in the side yard all tore apart. I amble over to see what's up. He is not mechanically inclined and has a tool box with a screwdriver and a very thin selection of sockets. I on the other hand have a 15 drawer 2 piece tool chest in my shed. So I grab some tools and head back over to prod around for him.

I asked several times, you sure there's gas in there? I finally ask him where his mower gas is, toss a splash in the tank, get everything reassembled to fire it up and it fires right up. I suggested running over and filling it with gas, LOL.

I would check the + battery connection make sure it didn't loosen in accident. I am not sure about the negative but if the positive looses or almost losses connection I believe the car will just quit. It will also be funky if trying to restart if connection if loose. Did all the settings on your radio go?
That would probably be a sign.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter