Ohio schools are closed (again) because of the heat

Columbus City Schools are dismissing early as the buildings are very old and not air conditioned. 95 degree stuffy classrooms are not conducive to learning. Buses are still running, everything is just 2.5 hours ahead of schedule. Unless I missed something -it is only Columbus schools, none of the suburbs are affected. They are closing about two hours early. Your post is incredibly misleading if this is what you are referring to.

Yes, we need better schools. No, it does not seem unreasonable to me. I've had to work in one of those buildings. It was cinder block and did not have windows. It was not great. I do think it's a little weird that all of the sudden they care, but I am sure there's a reason we don't know about.

I went to one of those un-air-conditioned schools when I was in school and they are miserable in the heat. We never closed, but I think I know the reason why they're willing to close now. It's the same reason why Columbus Public never did the "2 hour delay" for fog/snow/cold that suburban schools often do in the winter. Columbus Public was always either open or closed.

Until last year, the state mandated that schools had to be open a certain number of *days* per year, and each day had to have a minimum of 5 hours. Columbus Public's normal school day was relatively short, so they couldn't dismiss early/open late and still count it as a "day." Last year, I believe they changed the requirement to a certain number of instructional hours required, rather than a certain number of days. Now, Columbus Public (and other school districts probably) can count the number of hours that they were open as instructional time, and will only have to make up the hours that they missed, not a whole day. (My kids' suburban district has a relatively long school day, and they are not shy about the 2 hour delays... but all the schools have a/c, so my kids are in school this week.)

I also think there is something to be said for being "used to the heat." Back when I was in school, there were still quite a few people who didn't have a/c in their cars or houses (or only had window a/c in certain rooms.) To a certain extent, I think that made you more used to being able to function in the heat. Today, I'm rarely in an un-airconditioned area for an extended period of time (a/c in my house, my car, my work, my kids' school, all the stores I visit, etc). Spending a whole day in sweltering heat would be tough.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea to close... especially if conditions are hot and little learning would be done anyway. Hopefully they've got the make-up time already built into the schedule. I do feel bad for the parents though -- they announced Monday's early dismissal pretty late Sunday night, and today's last night. I'm sure a lot of people were scrambling for child care... and a half-day is almost harder to arrange than a whole day.

I grew up in Virginia going to schools with no AC. They did early dismissal if it was over 100 degrees, but they kept us until noon because it didn't really get super hot until then.

I think those who are saying that 92 degrees isn't too hot, have to realize that if the building doesn't have proper ventilation, and also depending on where the rooms are located (top floor vs power level), the actual temperature in those rooms get can much hotter than the outside temp of 92. There is a reason we outlaw leaving pets and young kids in hot cars, as temps can quickly rise above the external air, and hyperthermia occurs. People can and do die of heat stroke every day, and that is not people being "soft" and wimpier than they were "back in the good old days", it's just physiology.

So I say it depends on a variety of factors when or if to cancel school in the heat. I know the school my DD attended last year does not have a/c, it's been 95 degrees, and they haven't cancelled school. But there have been local stories of kids and adults needing emergency medical care in this heat.

Where in Ohio? I'm in NW OH and no school closures around here. My kids are lucky in that in our district they just put air conditioners in last year but I don't know of any area schools closed. I see the PP stated Columbus - are there other places too? I guess I'm just surprised to hear this.

Parma city schools and many of the Akron schools as well. My son's Catholic high school (in Parma) does have school, but only because they started school a week later than planned because a construction project (ironically one that didn't include adding A/C).

My son said it was really stifling hot in the building yesterday. I know in previous years, they were having kids pass out during class, so it can be dangerous when the temps get that high.

We live in upstate NY and have also had record breaking heat the last few days, but none of our schools here have closed and none of them have AC either. I guess I could see if the school were several stories tall, but that's not the case here. Frankly, I think the cancellations are better saved for inclement weather and snowy conditions which are also very dangerous and more likely to cause an issue later in the year. At least with the heat, fans can be set up, room assignments can be moved around, water breaks can be given, etc. There's ways to combat it. Not as easy to do in a snowstorm.

What do you do in June?!?

Can't speak for the OP, but we live about 3 hours from Ohio in upstate NY and in June, it's rare that temps are in the 90s. Hig 70s - low 80s are common June averages here. The heat doesn't ramp up until July. And at least here, in June, there's a lot of half days, field trips, field days, etc. since the school year usually ends 3rd week of June.

My schools also lacked AC and I can't say I ever recall school being closed or even dismissed early for heat. I remember some teachers taking us outside, and some turning the lights off. The buildings did have those big old windows that you could open, but usually those hot humid days also meant no air was moving. I can't say much really was accomplished those times anyway.

So people get criticized for leaving kids in cars when the temperature is in the 70s, but going to a school with no ac (and presumably no ventilation) is ok. Got it.

I doubt the schools are leaving children in classrooms in direct sunlight with the windows sealed shut and no water. Apples and oranges.

I'm a teacher at one of the closed NE Ohio schools. It has been brutally hot inside the old buildings. We pushed our start date until after Labor Day this year to try to escape the problems we had last year in the August heat. The classrooms soar to over 100 ° when temps ate in the mid 80s. The 90s make the buildings unbearable. I know we never closed when we were all kids but we didn't have temps like this either. It's been 60 years since we've had weather like this in this area. Last year in the heat we had many sick kids and teachers. Asthma attacks, vomiting, diarrhea, heat stroke. The closures are a good thing, even if inconvenient.

No, I would not be happy if they closed for the heat. Our school doesn't have a/c, either. Hot days, the windows come open, teachers bring in fans, kids wear shorts, and can have a water bottle on their desk.

This is a sore spot for me. My husband is a high school teacher in Ohio - the first few weeks back are always miserable for him. He's in an old building with poor circulation, and he does what he can to stay comfortable (buys dri-fit collared shirts to wear - lightest possible fabrics for shirts and pants, we've tried a couple of different fans, he uses a Frogg Togg, he does his best to drink water throughout the day - which, barely time for a bathroom break with his packed schedule...). As a teacher, he's not allowed to wear shorts. Add to that the pressure of having to be "on" all day, up in front of the kids. We had a very mild summer here and simply aren't used to this, and yesterday after teaching, he was dehydrated to the point of feeling sick in the evening. And now he gets to do it all over again today! His school is due to get AC installed in the next couple of years and it can't come soon enough.
I also think there is something to be said for being "used to the heat." Back when I was in school, there were still quite a few people who didn't have a/c in their cars or houses (or only had window a/c in certain rooms.) To a certain extent, I think that made you more used to being able to function in the heat. Today, I'm rarely in an un-airconditioned area for an extended period of time (a/c in my house, my car, my work, my kids' school, all the stores I visit, etc). Spending a whole day in sweltering heat would be tough.
YEP. I understand that people from the South are used to the heat...how about when there's an inch or two of snow? We wouldn't bat an eye at that here in Ohio. :confused3

No, I would not be happy if they closed for the heat. Our school doesn't have a/c, either. Hot days, the windows come open, teachers bring in fans, kids wear shorts, and can have a water bottle on their desk.
But what if the school is built so the windows don't open?

Columbus City Schools are dismissing early as the buildings are very old and not air conditioned. 95 degree stuffy classrooms are not conducive to learning. Buses are still running, everything is just 2.5 hours ahead of schedule. Unless I missed something -it is only Columbus schools, none of the suburbs are affected. They are closing about two hours early. Your post is incredibly misleading if this is what you are referring to.

Yes, we need better schools. No, it does not seem unreasonable to me. I've had to work in one of those buildings. It was cinder block and did not have windows. It was not great. I do think it's a little weird that all of the sudden they care, but I am sure there's a reason we don't know about.

ETA: After research, it appears that Parma City Schools (Northern Ohio) schools closed yesterday, and some schools in Stark, Summit, and Cuyahoga counties are closing today. 35 schools total. It doesn't appear that the temps are quite as high as central Ohio, but they are close. I can't speak to this area-but the decision to close is certainly more drastic than an early dismissal.

35 schools are closed:

School Closings Last Updated: Tue Sep 26 10:38:02 EDT 2017
  • Constellation Schools-Collinwood Village Academy | Closed
  • Constellation Schools- Eastside Arts Academy | Closed
  • Constellation Schools-Madison Comm. Elementary | Closed
  • Constellation Schools-Old Brooklyn Elementary | Closed
  • Constellation Schools-Parma Community Elementary | Closed
  • Constellation Schools-Puritas Community Elementary | Closed
  • Constellation Schools-Puritas Community Middle School | Closed
  • Constellation Schools-Stockyard Comm. Elementary | Closed
  • Constellation Schools-Stockyard Comm. Middle | Closed
  • Constellation Schools-Westpark Community Elementary | Closed
  • Constellation Schools-Westpark Community Middle | Closed
  • Constellation Schools-Westside Community School of the Arts | Closed
  • Constellation Schools: Elyria Community Elementary | Closed
  • Constellation Schools: Elyria Community Middle | Closed
  • Constellation Schools: Lorain Community Elementary | Closed
  • Constellation Schools: Lorain Community Middle | Closed
  • Constellation Schools: Old Brooklyn Community Middle | Closed
  • Constellation Schools: Parma Community High | Closed
  • Constellation Schools: Parma Community Intermediate | Closed
  • Constellation Schools: Parma Community Middle | Closed
  • Constellation Schools: Parma Community Pearl Road Elementary | Closed
  • Constellation Schools: Shaker Academy | Closed
  • Elyria Community Elementary School | Closed
  • Franklin Elementary | Closed
  • Gorrell Elementary | Closed
  • Heritage Christian - Canton | Closed
  • Holy Family Elementary-Parma | Closed
  • Horizon Science Academy-Denison Elem. | Closed
  • LEAP Program-Garfield Heights | Closed
  • LEAP Program-Rittman | Closed
  • Luther Memorial | Closed
  • Parma City Schools | Closed
  • SUPER Learning Center | Closed
  • St. Anthony of Padua-Parma | Closed
  • St. Barnabas | Closed
  • St. Bridget | Closed
  • St. Charles Borromeo | Closed
  • St. Columbkille | Closed
  • St. Peter-Lorain | Closed
  • St. Thomas Aquinas School - Cleveland | Closed
  • Summit Academy Akron Middle School | Closed
  • Summit Academy Canton Elementary | Closed
  • Whittier Elementary | Closed

Where in Ohio? I'm in NW OH and no school closures around here. My kids are lucky in that in our district they just put air conditioners in last year but I don't know of any area schools closed. I see the PP stated Columbus - are there other places too? I guess I'm just surprised to hear this.

NE Ohio. See list above.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter