Ohana or Skipper's Canteen

Callsdodisney

Mouseketeer
Which would you pick between the two?

Considerations:

- Ohana reservation is at 5:40, fireworks are at 8. So can't make it back to MK to watch fireworks. Planned to watch them from the poly. One member of our party is going through chemo and may run out of steam before fireworks even if we eat at Skipper's Canteen. One member of our party is slightly scared of fireworks. But this would be the only day we could see them from the park. Choosing Ohana means we choose not to see them there no matter what.

- We are getting mixed up in the DDP changes and may have to pay for two adults out of pocket-- so Ohana is much more expensive than Skipper's Canteen if we do that. But is the food at Ohana that much better?

Coming from someone who holds Ohana in high regard based on nostalgia and bread pudding, I'm going to recommend Skipper's Canteen. It's quickly becoming one of our favorite restaurants, and we were all disappointed we didn't book it for our trip last week. We stayed at the Polynesian and we were fine not having Ohana...although our kids did request it for next time!!

I have eaten at both and while I am alone in my family in loving Skipper's we eat at Ohana twice every vacation for dinner and at least one breakfast each trip. My 18 year old daughter hates being anywhere near the sound of fireworks but loves watching them while eating and enjoying the music.

Considerations:

- Ohana reservation is at 5:40, fireworks are at 8. So can't make it back to MK to watch fireworks. Planned to watch them from the poly. One member of our party is going through chemo and may run out of steam before fireworks even if we eat at Skipper's Canteen. One member of our party is slightly scared of fireworks. But this would be the only day we could see them from the park. Choosing Ohana means we choose not to see them there no matter what.

- We are getting mixed up in the DDP changes and may have to pay for two adults out of pocket-- so Ohana is much more expensive than Skipper's Canteen if we do that. But is the food at Ohana that much better?
You can make it back to MK if you really prefer Ohana.

Arrive at Ohana a bit early and you really should be able to make it back to MK.

But we prefer the food and cost of Skipper Canteen.

You can make it back to MK if you really prefer Ohana.

Arrive at Ohana a bit early and you really should be able to make it back to MK.
The OP was saying that due to a member of their party's medical issues, they may not have the energy to return to MK after Ohana.

I would prefer to eat at Ohana. You are still close enough to the fireworks to have a really good show.

I would prefer to eat at Ohana. You are still close enough to the fireworks to have a really good show.

Considerations:

One member of our party is going through chemo and may run out of steam before fireworks even if we eat at Skipper's Canteen. One member of our party is slightly scared of fireworks. But this would be the only day we could see them from the park. Choosing Ohana means we choose not to see them there no matter what.

Ah.

Even if nobody has 'energy issues', then even just leaving MK around the fireworks is work.

Therefore, I stand by my earliest recommendation - Ohana.

The alternative, but that means I'm spending someone else's money, go to either Narcoossee's or CA Grill for dinner instead.

Viewing of fireworks is easier from these restaurants than jostling inside Magic Kingdom.

CA Grill has lots of room outside. And is far enough away for someone who does not enjoy being too close (but they do lower the lighting).

Narcoossee's has a small outside deck that holds everyone wanting a view. And, if someone is not interested in fireworks (or just wants a warm & inviting place to relax), we very much enjoy sitting inside the lobby of Grand Floridian to just enjoy the ambiance with live jazz music - no fireworks.

Skipper's. The food and service are consistently good and the atmosphere is lovely. O'hana has become a train wreck IMHO. Bad, greasy food and terrible service.

Ohana is a must for us on every trip, but we ate at Skipper Canteen our last trip an absolutely loved it. It offers a much different menu than you will find at most restaurants at Disney and the staff was fantastic when we were there. If you are possibly paying out of pocket there are some nice choices for "Disney Cheap". If you want the all you can eat aspect of Ohana and still stay in the Magic Kingdom the Liberty Tree Tavern is an excellent choice as well. No matter what you choose you will be eating well. Have a great trip.

IMHO the food, service, and atmosphere are far better at Skipper Canteen. Used to like Ohana years ago, but my last two experiences there were very disappointing to me.

DITTO. Food quality and service have plummeted at OHana and it is always INSANE. Long waits even with ADR>

I love Ohana and I liked Skipper Canteen as well but with your situation I would have a relaxing dinner at Kona Cafe (especially with mixed DDP/non DDP party). You can get potstickers and sticky wings and noodle dishes which are all similar to Ohana but at a much lower price and can also have the bread pudding (I have read of people getting it delivered here but you could always move to the tambu lounge for it as well). The vibe will be much less low key than Ohana and honestly the view from the Poly is imo the best out of park view... I like it even better than CA Grill to be honest. It's a straight on distant view, you can go sit on the beach and they pipe the music in and are definitely far enough away to not be bothered by the fireworks.

This way you kind of get the best of both worlds. You're out of the crazy fray for the people for whom it might be difficult but it's not as expensive or nutty as Ohana. You can probably even find an earlier ADR and maybe split up and leave part of your party at the Poly while you head back to watch the fireworks from inside the park? This way everyone is happy? or is that a major no-go? The lower energy and fireworks noise averse people might enjoy just chilling out and also feeling like they are not holding you back. Also Kona does not run as late or take as long as Ohana.

I love Ohana and I liked Skipper Canteen as well but with your situation I would have a relaxing dinner at Kona Cafe (especially with mixed DDP/non DDP party). You can get potstickers and sticky wings and noodle dishes which are all similar to Ohana but at a much lower price and can also have the bread pudding (I have read of people getting it delivered here but you could always move to the tambu lounge for it as well). The vibe will be much less low key than Ohana and honestly the view from the Poly is imo the best out of park view... I like it even better than CA Grill to be honest. It's a straight on distant view, you can go sit on the beach and they pipe the music in and are definitely far enough away to not be bothered by the fireworks.

This way you kind of get the best of both worlds. You're out of the crazy fray for the people for whom it might be difficult but it's not as expensive or nutty as Ohana. You can probably even find an earlier ADR and maybe split up and leave part of your party at the Poly while you head back to watch the fireworks from inside the park? This way everyone is happy? or is that a major no-go? The lower energy and fireworks noise averse people might enjoy just chilling out and also feeling like they are not holding you back. Also Kona does not run as late or take as long as Ohana.

Ate at Kona in September (have eaten at Kona and Ohana multiple times) and the Kona noodles were NOT good. totally totally lame. Ohana's noodles are far above. Sticky wings were on point so score one in Kona's favor there. Pot stickers were good but not many of them. I was super disappointed in Kona and I had loved it in the past.

I can't vote between Skipper vs Ohana as I've never been to Skippers. But I'd still vote Ohana. It has mass appeal, we've never had to wait very long for our ADR, and personally I enjoy watching fireworks more from the Poly than in the actual park. It's too much of a cluster.

Sounds to me like the bigger issue is the location. Both restaurants are a great dining experience. But, with your group, the logistics of going to/from MK for the fireworks sounds like more effort than it would be worth.
Pick Ohana, especially if you are staying at the Poly. Walk down to the beach and watch from there. It's still a magical experience.

Ohanas has lost its shine.
Hands down, Skippers is much better. For the person on Chemo, it gives them some downtime to relax and get their strength back to watch the fireworks. With the laser projections, Watching anywhere, but on Mainstreet misses a HUGE part of HEA.

Personally I would choose O'Hana. I really like the food and atmosphere of the whole resort. Only tried Skipper's Canteen one time and thought the menu very limited and many items were spicy for my tastes. Wait Staff attempt to entertain with jokes and the décor is nice, just could not find something to eat to my liking.

We ate at both places on our trip during Christmas. Ohana's was very good. Skipper Canteen's was the best meal we had on property. We split the steak and it was better than the steak we had at Shula's earlier in the week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter