Ohana Let Down!

Starwart said:
Feelings. Nothing more than feelings. Trying to forget...

Food that is overcooked or too salty or no flavor... goes to where?
The dumpster.

Yup. O’Hanna is a “cult” thing.
Followers do really get offended by bad reviews.

Well if liking Ohana means I'm part of cult....than judging by your history, you're the president of the Ohana bashing committee. So just like you're entitled to your opinion that it sucks, those of us that love it is entitled to say so also.

I think Starwart is talking about some Irish pub somewhere - "O'Hanna" - LOL.

Well if liking Ohana means I'm part of cult....than judging by your history, you're the president of the Ohana bashing committee. So just like you're entitled to your opinion that it sucks, those of us that love it is entitled to say so also.

Yes. I agree that we are all entitled to our opinions.
I don’t comment in post that has titles like “I had a great time in O’hana” or something similar to that. I leave them alone.I comment in post with titles like this or ask opinions about O’hana , Ohana O’hanna.
Thing is some members of Scientologist church of O’hana see negative post like this one and act as if they’re Love child is getting attacked or something.
They just can’t help it and go on “defense” mode.
Should I go and post in Ohana worshipers club too? No. I won’t. I will leave you guys alone.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you had a bad experience at 'Ohana.. We went for our anniversary last year (11/30) at around 8pm and found the waiter to be very fast - talker and mover - we got all our items except the skewers within 10 mins I swear, then the meat came pretty fast after that - and he did come twice with steak and chicken but not shrimp which was ok (as I wasn't feeling well and my Hubby doesn't eat them) dessert came while I had stepped away from the table but the waiter left my plate of food and then offered to pack it up when he came back.. my hubby didn't have to ask for drink refills, they just showed up which is always helpful. while we did have a window seat it wasn't directly in view of the fireworks but if we shuffled our seat a bit we did get to see some. that was nice.

We are going back in Sept with extended family and have a 4pm dinner with 11 of us (3 toddlers included) and most are first timers - I am hoping for a similar experience to my Nov trip.. most things you have control of and few you don't so we shall see but I am going into with good feelings that we'll have a GREAT time..

A lot of these posts make me sad because they are so easily resolved. Didn't get something? Just ask someone in an Ohana uniform. They will either get your server or get it for you. There's never a time when no one is around. And heck, if there was I would walk up to the grill myself and find someone.

Feel rushed? I have a three word phrase that will change your life... "Not yet, thanks.". It works wonders. They will come back later, trust me. And if they don't see my note above.

I can't count the number of times we've been enjoying our wings and dumplings when the skewers arrived. I just say we're still enjoying our appetizers, catch us the next time around.

If you are polite, and not asking for anything unreasonable (and asking for more time is not unreasonable) then you will be accommodated.

I really wonder if a lot of the confusion comes from a combination of the desire to turn tables plus the history of a lot of theme parks guests wanting to eat and be on their way. It's different for my family because when we're there, we're there for dinner and to enjoy the restaurant. There's still plenty of people who will turn their tables faster because they want to be on their way.

And lastly, don't forget to bump up the tip for that extra time and service that you are getting.

It's a win-win. Trust me.

ITA! I am always baffled by these types of criticisms too. SPEAK UP for goodness sake! I have, on several occasions, gotten up from my table and physically walked over to either a server's station or the hostess stand when I need something and my server has disappeared. Trust me, once you do that, they will bend over backwards to make sure the rest of the meal service is flawless.

At Ohana specifically, just flag down ANY server and tell them what you need. They will help you and then ALSO pressure your actual server to pick up the slack. Servers always work as a team and when one slacks off, the others are affected, so they will pressure each other to keep up with their own tables demands.

Finally, just tell your server when you sit down that you are NOT in a hurry and want to enjoy each course. It works.

So much great advice in these posts. I worked as a server in two different, very busy restaurants in the past, which makes me both a very easy and very difficult customer at the same time. I have no problem speaking up about anything relating to my meal experience to the server or the manager. Honest and accurate statements like "at this price level, we expect (insert your choice - to not be rushed, to have fresh, hot meat, another serving of X, Y, Z....) get the point across without the server or manager being told "you are doing it wrong"

The above assumes the floor manager is empowered to work with the kitchen to adjust the flow of food.

Of course one can and should speak up. But the restaurant should take a hint too - if they are bringing you skewers while you're still eating apps, it should go without saying that they should come back around to you. A good server should use some intuition to understand your pace based on how quickly (or not) you're eating and bring the other things out accordingly. Most of the food is already prepared, so I bet its the servers setting the pace of the meals in experiences where people feel rushed. I would also bet they are encouraged to turn tables over faster, especially at Ohana which is a popular and busy restaurant that always seems to be running late seating their ADRs.

I suspect both statements reflect current management practice.

I suspect both statements reflect current management practice.

I definitely think that's what is cascaded down by management. But at the same time, the more tables the servers turnover, the more money they stand to make too.

'Ohana is served 'family style' which means it basically all comes out at one time - not supposed to be like courses in most TS places.
You can only feel rushed if you allow yourselves to be. We are never rushed - we thoroughly enjoy our experience there. But, it's not for everyone - no place is.

Well, there is still an appetizer/bread course and there is a dessert course. So if they are bringing out your main dishes when you've gotten the bread 5 minutes before, people are inclined to feel rushed. Many people who felt rushed are saying the server never returned to ask if they wanted seconds of anything - they simply brought out dessert or brought over the check. While customers can and do ask for more at that point, that doesn't change the fact that these customers now feel rushed.

Feelings. Nothing more than feelings. Trying to forget...

Food that is overcooked or too salty or no flavor... goes to where?
The dumpster.

Yup. O’Hanna is a “cult” thing.
Followers do really get offended by bad reviews.

Nope, not offended!! Takes more than individuals reviews to offend me !! :)
Just truly wonder how your food could have been so bad to give it the lowest of the lows dumpster food review!!

Get the message that 'Ohana is really not for you, and that's fine - no place of dining is for everyone. :goodvibes

Well, there is still an appetizer/bread course and there is a dessert course. So if they are bringing out your main dishes when you've gotten the bread 5 minutes before, people are inclined to feel rushed. Many people who felt rushed are saying the server never returned to ask if they wanted seconds of anything - they simply brought out dessert or brought over the check. While customers can and do ask for more at that point, that doesn't change the fact that these customers now feel rushed.

It should be obvious but I'll say it anyway - this is only in my personal experience of many trips to Ohana.

I have never been just "presented" with desert. One of the cousins comes by and clears the table of all the dinner dishes, the appetizer pan, dipping sauces, etc before bringing desert. I'm not sure they're permitted to plop down the bread pudding on a table full of dirty dishes.

Seems to me that when they go to clear your table it would be an excellent opportunity to request more of anything you desire rather than just watching the plates disappear.

Also, just a a tip, even if you are ready for desert and to have the plates cleared, it's a great time to ask for that hot tea or coffee you would like to enjoy along with your bread pudding. Or if you just want a dish of ice cream on the side, whatever. There's no extra charge for getting a different beverage and some people really enjoy a hot beverage with desert.

I promise you, they will take good care of you if you just communicate with them.

Yes. I agree that we are all entitled to our opinions.
I don’t comment in post that has titles like “I had a great time in O’hana” or something similar to that. I leave them alone.I comment in post with titles like this or ask opinions about O’hana , Ohana O’hanna.
Thing is some members of Scientologist church of O’hana see negative post like this one and act as if they’re Love child is getting attacked or something.
They just can’t help it and go on “defense” mode.
Should I go and post in Ohana worshipers club too? No. I won’t. I will leave you guys alone.

Who hurt you?

This is a safe place, you can tell us.

Were you held down and poked with skewers of shrimp and marinated chicken?

Were you made to sing Aloha Oe and dance the hula while eating bread pudding?

Seriously though, I think the main reason anyone defends a restaurant or anything else they love, is because they want others to experience it like they do.

Nothing is going to take you back to a night like I had with one of my first Disney dates with my wife at Ohana. Where we sat at a two-top overlooking the pool and later the fireworks. We dined from the lazy susan containing fried rice, shrimp wontons, chips, and green beans. The skewers even included grilled turkey back then - so good.

But we can try to impart to you that you can have an experience like that too, if you open yourself up to it.

Either way, I wish you successful dining for all your days!

Who hurt you?

Seriously though, I think the main reason anyone defends a restaurant or anything else they love, is because they want others to experience it like they do.

Nothing is going to take you back to a night like I had with one of my first Disney dates with my wife at Ohana. Where we sat at a two-top overlooking the pool and later the fireworks. We dined from the lazy susan containing fried rice, shrimp wontons, chips, and green beans. The skewers even included grilled turkey back then - so good.

But we can try to impart to you that you can have an experience like that too, if you open yourself up to it.

I'm at work on a phone meeting and it's a good thing that I'm on mute! :rotfl2::rotfl:

Who hurt you?

Oooo. Getting personal there.
Well. I’m glad you and your wife enjoyed o’hana food worthy for the dumpster.

Someone upthread asked if you can get the bread pudding anywhere else.... didn't I see you could get it somewhere else at Poly? The lounge?

Seems people either love Ohana or hate it. I've never been, we're debating going, but I want to try the dessert either way!:thumbsup2

We went last summer for the first time and it was a disappointment. The recent dis unplugged review rang true. The food tasted fine but it was so rushed and service was pretty terrible. Everything came out at once except for the steak. It didn't come until our waiter (who I hadn't seen for 15 minutes) came by to offer dessert. When I pointed out we hadn't got any steak skewers he rudely said "oh so you want more steak" and took off before I could correct him. Not more, just any. Also we were never at any point offered more of anything. I probably could have eaten more chicken. Oh well. One and done for me.
This is totally what happened to me as well. I felt like I had to beg just to get all of the meats, and they tried to bring dessert before I had gotten them. Couldn’t get pop refills. The food I got was good, but service is horrendous. And this has always been my favorite restaurant. Or at least used to be...

It should be obvious but I'll say it anyway - this is only in my personal experience of many trips to Ohana.

I have never been just "presented" with desert. One of the cousins comes by and clears the table of all the dinner dishes, the appetizer pan, dipping sauces, etc before bringing desert. I'm not sure they're permitted to plop down the bread pudding on a table full of dirty dishes.

Seems to me that when they go to clear your table it would be an excellent opportunity to request more of anything you desire rather than just watching the plates disappear.

Also, just a a tip, even if you are ready for desert and to have the plates cleared, it's a great time to ask for that hot tea or coffee you would like to enjoy along with your bread pudding. Or if you just want a dish of ice cream on the side, whatever. There's no extra charge for getting a different beverage and some people really enjoy a hot beverage with desert.

I promise you, they will take good care of you if you just communicate with them.

I'm sure. I don't disagree with you. But it should be incumbent upon the server and restaurant to provide good service. When a server gives off the fast paced vibe, it inevitably makes the customer feel rushed. The server and restaurant should take some accountability for this too. It shouldn't be up to the customer to communicate this from jump street. If it was an isolated incident, then I'd lean more towards the customer being unreasonable. But considering multiple people here as well as a reputable podcast/blog reported similar rushed experiences, I would bet that management is encouraging the servers to pick up the pace - so they can turn more tables over at this popular restaurant that is usually seating their ADRs late and often booked to capacity.

Just got back again from Disney. I’m probably one of the people who have the emotional attachment to O’hana and keep going back, no matter what.
As before, the service was the worst part. The waiter plopped the sauces on our table without explaining what they even were. No drink refills. Warm wash cloths were brought way before I was even done eating and my memory says they used to bring them at the end of eating? Not sure. Or maybe after the wings, etc? If that’s the case they were brought while the meats were being delivered. The steak was brought bloody which would be the cooks fault. The problem with that is that where we were, it was so dark that it was only discovered when we started eating and the steak was chewy so we turned on our cell phone flash lights and realized it wasn’t cooked hardly. They were playing one song when we got there but then not again. No coconut races, etc. This was like at 7:30 in the evening. My past experiences I remember entertainment scattered throughout my meal, so possibly they cut down?
I really wanted to enjoy my meal. If I had not had free dining I would have been furious to pay those prices and have the experience I ended up getting.
I’m embarrassed to say that I’d probably go back on a future trip - sentimentality is a terrible thing.
Edited to add that before anyone says “make them do this or that” or that they have had wonderful service, I want to say that I imagine I could have “made” the waiters do their job or demand what I pay for, but in the moment you don’t always think of those things. Or you get put off because you imagined more from an eating establishment of this reputation, your memory or even the price of it all. So I wanted to post my recent experience here because I had posted on this thread of my last experience. Maybe next time I’ll go “ready” and make sure I get what I deserve, but you really shouldn’t have to demand good service either.

Last edited:
Ohana is one of those restaurants that does tend to generate intense opinions on both sides. I don't think it's horrible (we will dine there when we stay at the Polynesian) but I don't think it's anything special either. Some of our experiences have been better than others, and as detailed here by the contributors to this thread, Ohana can be wildly inconsistent. But at the end of the day, one walks in hungry and walks out full so mission accomplished!

Just got back again from Disney. I’m probably one of the people who have the emotional attachment to O’hana and keep going back, no matter what.
As before, the service was the worst part. The waiter plopped the sauces on our table without explaining what they even were. No drink refills. Warm wash cloths were brought way before I was even done eating and my memory says they used to bring them at the end of eating? Not sure. Or maybe after the wings, etc? If that’s the case they were brought while the meats were being delivered. The steak was brought bloody which would be the cooks fault. The problem with that is that where we were, it was so dark that it was only discovered when we started eating and the steak was chewy so we turned on our cell phone flash lights and realized it wasn’t cooked hardly. They were playing one song when we got there but then not again. No coconut races, etc. This was like at 7:30 in the evening. My past experiences I remember entertainment scattered throughout my meal, so possibly they cut down?
I really wanted to enjoy my meal. If I had not had free dining I would have been furious to pay those prices and have the experience I ended up getting.
I’m embarrassed to say that I’d probably go back on a future trip - sentimentality is a terrible thing.
Edited to add that before anyone says “make them do this or that” or that they have had wonderful service, I want to say that I imagine I could have “made” the waiters do their job or demand what I pay for, but in the moment you don’t always think of those things. Or you get put off because you imagined more from an eating establishment of this reputation, your memory or even the price of it all. So I wanted to post my recent experience here because I had posted on this thread of my last experience. Maybe next time I’ll go “ready” and make sure I get what I deserve, but you really shouldn’t have to demand good service either.
The steak sounds perfect to me.

I've never eaten there, but a good friend of mine told me the story of when she went on her last trip. The were seated and within 15 minutes of that the waiter asked if they were ready for dessert. They had gotten bread and dumplings so far, nothing else- not even their drinks! When they told the server that they hadn't eaten yet the server asked "What do you need more of?" She was one of the people who loved it and went every trip, but she said the last time ruined it for her.

"Ohana is hit or miss, but for us, the miss was huge a few years ago. My family always enjoyed this meal, but for the money I have a reasonable expectation of service and quality. As mush as I sympathized with teh enormous challenges our server was addressing (she had the family from hell seated next to us) my family suffered the consequence. The food was subpar, and the cocktails resembled lighter fluid. DIning plan or no, it was unacceptable. There are few times I choose to let something go becuase I am walking away, and this was one of those times.

With this said, I respect that others have had and are still experiencing good food and service from this restaurant, and cannot understand why there are people who ridicule them for sharing their experiences here. IMO, that is not only unkind, but downright mean.

We just got back from Disney on Friday and ate at Ohana twice for dinner last week. This is a restaurant that we have always loved and my family requests each trip. Both times we ate there last week, it was just bad. They now have a new salad that is spinach and dark greens, craisins, and chow mein noodles. It was gross. I have always loved Ohana salad, and I know they have changed it several times over the years and we have always enjoyed it and asked for more. My son actually spit it out b/c the greens were so bitter. My family enjoyed the shrimp, but I don't eat it, so I waited patiently for the beef. I asked for medium or medium rare, whichever he had, and it was cooked perfectly, but was such a bad cut that I literally could not chew it. Then they brought out the bread pudding...honestly the real reason I go to Ohana! It was so hard that I could not even put the spoon in it to divide it. The sauce and ice cream didn't help it at all. It tasted like it had sat on the counter for a week. We chalked it all up to just being an off night, and went back again a few days later to eat the Ohana deliciousness that we always enjoyed...and the second meal was actually worse! The food was cold, and it was very hard to get our waiter to bring refills on drinks or any meat skewers. When the meat was finally served it was just as bad as the first night, chewy beef, dry chicken, and the shrimp was overcooked this time.

We have had off nights at Ohana before, but this was 2 nights in a week that were terrible. I sure hope they get some better cuts of beef and change out the salad. For now, we have no intentions of returning on our next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter