'Ohana Dinner Review - 7/13/06

nybound

Mouseketeer
The dining reviews continue with our dinner at 'Ohana on July 13th. We chose 'Ohana based on a wonderful time last year (and the fact that it is quite kid friendly).

We arrived about five minutes before our 6:00 pm ADR. We waited about 10 minutes for a table mostly because there was a wedding party ahead of us that was taking some time to get situated.

Once we sat down, we quickly got our beverages and the food started coming! As been noticed elsewhere, there have been several chances to the appetizers in the past year. Noticeably, the wontons and fried rice are gone and replaced by wonton chips and scalloped potatoes. None of us missed a beat with these changes. The fried wonton chips were a big hit with the kids.

In addition, the first course contained barbeque chicken wings, mixed vegtables, and salad. None of this is what I would consider "to die for" items, but that didn't keep us from gobbling it up. I'm a big fan of the salad with the honey lime dressing. DW liked the chicken wings, and the kids kept eating the wonton chips. I can't comment on the scalloped pototoes, they kind of sat there neglected (DW and I don't eat potatoes, and the kids only eat potatoes that are fried).

Soon after, the shrimp arrived in a bowl (as opposed to skewers in the past). At this point, the rest of the food was ignored and the DW and I plowed into the shrimp. We are big shrimp eaters, and we were not disappointed by the taste or number of shrimp.

Next up, and probably a little too soon, came the skewers of meat. The choices were beef, turkey, sausage, and pork. Along with these, there are three dipping sauces (which also work well with the wonton chips): a peanut sauce (my personal favorite), chimichurri sauce, and harissa sauce. The last two I would describe as a barbeque sauce and a soy-like sauce. I tended to stick with the peanut sauce. I wouldn't say any of the meats were outstanding, but they were still good. I tended to stick with beef and pork.

During all of this, the kids went up and took part in a few activities around the restaurant.

Finally, once we had stuffed ourselves (which given the frequency of the food was about 20 minutes), the bread pudding arrived. I have to say that I really like this! The bread is similar to what I call easter bread (or challah for those that know what that is). On top is vanilla ice cream. And, on the side is a bananas foster sauce. Even though we were all stuffed, we managed to finish this (okay, I managed to finish it).

In summary, we had another good time at 'Ohana's. The only troubling aspects were that the food came out too quickly for us, and that there was way too much of it. For a family of four, we left a good portion of the food on the table (and some things were barely touched). We felt we were wasting food.

Pictures to follow.

IMG_1437.jpg

Salad with the honey-lime dressing.

IMG_1439.jpg

The dipping sauces (trying to look like a hidden mickey). The peanut sauce is the bottom one. The chimichurri sauce and harissa sauce are the other two. Sorry, I forget which one is which.

IMG_1443.jpg

The shrimp before they disappeared. There is more in that bowl that it looks in the picture.

IMG_1444.jpg

The mixed vegetables and scalloped potatoes. The poor potatoes sat there for the entire meal.

IMG_1445.jpg

DD7 and DD4 enjoying themselves (or at least staying out of trouble for a few moments).

Hhmmmm Hmmmmm that looks yummy. I can't wait until october, we have reservations at O'hanas...Thanks for the great review and great pics.. Now I am hungry.. :bitelip:

I have to admit that I have narrowed my TS restaurants to 8 and I need 6 so I am a little on the fence about this restaurants especially with a vegetarian DW and two picky children. This review helps.

Group of 10ppl going in November, none of us have ever eaten at Ohana's before, I am really looking forward to it !!

YUMMY YUMMY FOR MY TUMMY !! :teeth: ::yes::

I could really go for one or 2 of those bread pudding dishes right now... :crazy:

Great review and pictures, thanks for taking the time to post. Your DD's are adorable, BTW. :goodvibes

Great detailed review and awesome pictures. Thanks! The shrimp looks delicious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter