Ohana dinner for picky eaters?

Herbord3

Mouseketeer
HI everyone,
We leave in 2 weeks for Disney and I have reservations for Ohana.
I've been reading reviews and I'm worried.. is it worth it?
I have 2 picky eaters, my husband and my daughter. They are ones that like cheesburgers plain with cheese only, don't like the food to touch, etc and they won't try much that they don't know or like.
I really want to try Ohana, so I'm just looking for your thoughts and opinions please.

They will find almost nothing they will like there. I'm sure you've looked at the menu.

Sweet and Sour chicken? They might like the steak skewers.

Seems like an expensive meal if they are that picky and will eat almost nothing.

They will find almost nothing they will like there. I'm sure you've looked at the menu.

Sweet and Sour chicken? They might like the steak skewers.

Seems like an expensive meal if they are that picky and will eat almost nothing.
That's kind of what I'm thinking.... but I didn't know if they had any kids menus or mac n cheese , chicken, etc. so that at least I could enjoy it. LOL

@Herbord3
Chicken is already on the menu and might be fine for your eaters as it's not "wet" like some versions of American BBQ chicken just sticky. The steak should be fine for your party and maybe if you take the shells off the shrimp (assuming sensory issues) they'll be OK with that. Hope they'll be fine with eating the pot stickers, stir fried veggies, salad and lo mein noodles but imagine you've seen the dishes and know your people's limitations. I seem to recall hearing that swapping one carb for another (mac cheese substitution) is fine and if by chicken you mean nuggets they can feed ya that too. Hope they are fine w/ eating the dessert otherwise you are stuck eating it all yourself, LOL. Oh and you can use the bread plates throughout the meal to keep food from touching.

Last edited:

That's kind of what I'm thinking.... but I didn't know if they had any kids menus or mac n cheese , chicken, etc. so that at least I could enjoy it. LOL
Disney is very good about providing other options. So if you're okay with those prices for mac n cheese and chicken nuggets then you can enjoy their menu.

'Ohana will have alternate foods available for your family, but holy expensive for mac and chees, nuggets and maybe a slice of pizza! My girls did not eat much of the family style offerings, so when the server noticed that she brought the mac and cheese, etc. I appreciated that there was something else, however if the majority of my family was not going to eat the food, we probably would have gone elsewhere.

I will say that if you want to try it, and you are okay with the costs incurred for the others, you may be surprised. They might just want to try some of the offerings with you.

I know for my daughter the waitress gave her a long list of things they could bring her out. She seemed happy with the cheese burger and mac and cheese this past December.

Why spend that much money for food your family won't enjoy? There are so many other places you could eat at instead.

Because she said she really wanted to try it... not real fair to her to not be able to do the things she wants to try and enjoy. She was simply asking if there was anything they could eat since she really wanted to try it. I would assume money is not the issue or she wouldn’t be going there anyways.

Because she said she really wanted to try it... not real fair to her to not be able to do the things she wants to try and enjoy. She was simply asking if there was anything they could eat since she really wanted to try it. I would assume money is not the issue or she wouldn’t be going there anyways.
Maybe re-read the OP because actually she asked if it's "worth it" and for "thoughts and opinions"...not about what else they could eat there. And my opinion is no, it's not worth it to spend a ton of money on a meal that 2/3 of a family won't enjoy.

Skip this meal. If your family is too picky to eat plain grilled steak and the equivalent of costco frozen section Asian appetizers, there is really no reason to spend all of that money. Plus, 'Ohana isn't really that good anyway. If you budgeted 'Ohana level spending for a meal, do a buffet instead where everyone can find something they like (or just choose a different TS restaurant with a menu that will appeal to everyone).

They won't like it.

If you ask, they will provide stuff like chicken nuggets, hot dogs, French fries or macaroni and cheese. It's meant for children but I think they will do it for anybody. No reduction in price though. Because of that, it won't be worth the cost.

HI everyone,
I have 2 picky eaters, my husband and my daughter. They are ones that like cheesburgers plain with cheese only, don't like the food to touch, etc and they won't try much that they don't know or like.
I really want to try Ohana, so I'm just looking for your thoughts and opinions please.

Only you can be responsible for that answer as you know what your family will eat. It's 'not' exotic food!! They won't eat steak, chicken?? We love the food and wouldn't miss it, but would be expensive if your family is that picky and won't eat. You serve yourself, so they can eat one thing at a time if they'd like - guess the food doesn't have to touch!

I'd say 'Ohana is going to be a challenge, especially with the "foods that touch" issue. You'll get a plate of pot stickers and wings. They will be touching. You'll get a plate of noodles and vegetables. They will be touching. When the meat arrives at your table, they put it on the plate where the scraps of the previous meat is, so there will be "touching". Dessert is bread pudding with sauce and ice cream. That's pretty much a melange of "touching".

I suggest you share the pictures of 'Ohana food and ask them if they think they could eat there.

HI everyone,

If it were me I will not go. It’s a big waste of $$ and like you said you have picky eaters. I will not be a O’hanna cult follower who is willing to sacrifice family for O’hann or get insulted if bad reviews are posted. This restaurant is by far (by miles) the most overrated wdw restaurant. I’d rather spend my $ in Chick-Fil-A

No way would I pay that amount if most of the group wouldn't eat the food. Even when my kids were child price they ate the food at Ohana. Even the kids price is high for just mac n cheese and nuggets.

I would go alone or with someone who would enjoy it (another child??) and send DH and DD to another restaurant. We did this with CRT last trip. DD and I went while the boys went to DS's favorite place, Cosmic Rays. I didn't want to spend $75 a person for the guys to be bored to tears and not feeling the environment. They were very happy about it. We met them at the pool after our ADR.

I honestly would have no issue going to Ohana alone. Ask for a seat by the window (if they can accommodate) and get a Lapu Lapu while you enjoy you meal. I like my alone time and when at WDW I start to crave some me time by day 4.

I have a friend who is a very picky eater. She prefers bland foods, but ended up LOVING 'Ohana. So if they're picky in that they refuse to try, then maybe not. If they're only picky after they try something and confirm they don't like it, then it might be worth a shot. I feel that there's a difference in between stubborn and picky. I can be a picky eater, but there are few things I won't try at least once.

You just described my husband and daughter. And they both hated Ohana for dinner. Sadly I was the one that really wanted to go and was very disappointed and wont be back for dinner. Still love the breakfast tho.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter