'Ohana Bread Pudding Twice In One Trip?! How can Life Possibly Get Better Than That *Complete*

jerseytinkerbell

DIS Veteran
Hey there great Dis people!!! This is jerseytinkerbell coming to you once again after another amazing Disney vacation. As always I am vacationing with my hubby and fellow WDW lover Rob. Here we are at F&G Fest last year.

This trip we were at Saratoga Springs for 11 fun filled nights. We were also able to take advantage of the last week of F&G Fest. It was an awesome trip filled with food, fun and movies. As far as food goes, this was my favorite trip ever! We had the best stuff he whole time and got to do almost everything we wanted to. There is so much great food to come!

Get psyched because the reviews are coming up now!

Oh, and if you want some great spoilers and want to follow along with my everyday adventures please join me on Instagram @jeriberri23 !

Aaaaaaaaand we're off!

We started our drive from South Jersey at 7pm on Friday and had a pretty decent drive for a change and arrived at SSR just before 10am on Saturday.

With some help from a great CM at the front desk we were in our room in the Springs section in no time.

We were feeling very grungy after our long drive, so after much needed showers we were hungry and in search of our first meal of the trip. I never know how we'll feel after the drive, so I never usually plan anything our first day. The tentative plan was no parks today. We have 12 days at WDW, but only 8 day passes, so we had to skip a few days in the park and I thought today would be one of them. I figured we would end up at DTD for lunch. I pulled up all the restaurants with current lunch ADRs available on the Disney World app. A very convenient feature that helps us be slightly less indecisive. I saw there was a reservation available for Trail's End. Now, if you've read my other DRs you'll know we LOVE Trail's End for breakfast and dinner, but we have never tried their lunch. No time like the present!

We are all cleaned up and ready to start our trip!

I drove us over to Fort Wilderness and we made our way back to the restaurant on one of the internal buses. We arrived at TE in no time and checked in.

And then we waited. And waited. And waited.

No sure what the hold up was. I guess maybe they were short staffed, because once we were finally seated we could see that the place was almost totally empty. There were maybe 20 people seated in the whole place. Our server came right over and took our order which came out very quickly.

I started with an appetizer. I loved the fried green tomatoes that Kona Cafe used to serve with their Tuna Oscar, so I have been wanting to try the ones here for some time.

Southern Fried Green Tomatoes with crawfish remoulade

So, the fried tomatoes are on the bottom of the plate. They are quartered tomatoes which were then fried in a very odd type of breading. On the top of those are fried pickles. This was nasty. Totally inedible. I promise this is the ONLY bad food of the trip, but it was SOOOOOOO bad. The crawfish was cold and way too fishy tasting. I love crawfish, but these didn't taste right. And everything tasted like the pickles. I only had a couple of bites and pushed it away. Our server never asked about why I didn't eat it, but he did take it off our bill, so bless his heart!

Rob however, loved his appetizer. He tried the Smoked Cheese-stuffed Jalapeno wrapped in Country Bacon with Peach-Pepper Jelly.

He was raving about these and felt bad that I was so disappointed with my appetizer.

Moving onto the entree I had Chicken and Waffles. Buttermilk Fried Chicken Fillets and Buttermilk Waffles with warm Buttered Rosemary-Maple Syrup.

Yum!!!! I have never had chicken and waffles before, but now I understand why they're so popular. It seems like an odd combo in theory, but it totally works. I liked the little pieces of strawberry on the plate too. They added a nice layer of flavor. The waffles were definitely a little overdone, but I still very much enjoyed this.

Rob had the Shrimp Po' Boy with Lettuce, Tomato, Spicy Remoulade, and Bread & Butter Zucchini, served with House Fries.

Sorry, not the greatest picture. He said it was just okay and was pretty plain. He was disappointed with this. So, we each had one great dish and one not so great dish, but at least his was edible.

I was definitely happy that the server removed the tomatoes from our bill and we got 10% off by using our Disney Visa. No TIW this trip. We really debated about upgrading to APs and then getting TIW this trip, but we ended up not doing it. It worked out though. We were still able to get 10% at a few locations during the trip with our Visa. Also, our Discover card is getting 5% in cash back this quarter, so we burned up our Discover cards this trip. :thumbsup2

We were very full and exhaustion was setting in, so we traveled back to SSR and took a nice long nap!

Where will we end up for dinner?

Sounds like a great trip. I can't wait to read the rest!
I love deep fried pickles but I'm not sure about that app!

YAY! One of my favorite couples!

How disappointing about your appetizer. I lovelovelove fried pickles but I prefer chips to spears. It looks like cornmeal breading to me ... which I normally enjoy but not if everything is too fishy or too pickle-y.

Looking forward to reading the rest!

Yayy!!!! I love following your trips on instagram and I'm so excited for another of your dining reviews! The chicken and waffles looks amazing!

Hey Jeri! You so know I'm gonna follow along.

I had no idea Trails End served from a regular menu for lunch, I thought it was a buffet all the time. Can't believe your appetizer was so bad. You gotta try really hard to ruin fried food ; ) But OMG that chicken and waffles looks divine. If you liked that you need to try the spicy chicken and waffle sandwich at sleepy hollow (if you haven't yet). It's sweet and spicy perfection.

Can't wait to see how the trip unfolds. 11 days sounds like perfection.

Great review of Trail's End. I've never been but there have been quite a few reviews that speak highly of it. I might have to add it to my list to hit up on my next trip. Glad to see you were back n the World!

Yay so glad you started your TR. I loved following you guys on Instagram!

Trails End is a wonderful break for lunch, especially on a hot MK day - the boat ride over, then the cool quiet restaurant (you NEVER need an ADR for lunch here!). The apps here mostly don't do anything for me but I agree the chicken & waffles are to die for. DH really enjoyed his fried catfish too, and was able to sub out the collard greens for the country coleslaw which was good because the dish needed something cool.

nice photo of the food...and yes we could do Ohana again for bread pudding ..delicious...thanks for the review so far

Another South Jersey girl here, love your reports, can't wait to hear all about it. We have 12 days planned in August and we are driving (our first time driving). Happily following along :)

Sounds like a great trip. I can't wait to read the rest!
I love deep fried pickles but I'm not sure about that app!

Thanks for joining in! Yeah I like them too, but this whole thing was just weird. But the food gets even better moving forward!

YAY! One of my favorite couples!

How disappointing about your appetizer. I lovelovelove fried pickles but I prefer chips to spears. It looks like cornmeal breading to me ... which I normally enjoy but not if everything is too fishy or too pickle-y.

Looking forward to reading the rest!

Aww thanks! So glad you are joining in! You're right, it was a cornmeal breading. It just kind of fell off everything as you tried to cut into it. So weird and gross. More reviews coming up!

Yayy!!!! I love following your trips on instagram and I'm so excited for another of your dining reviews! The chicken and waffles looks amazing!

Woo hoo! Thanks for joining in with me! It was super yummy. I need more chicken and waffles in my life now. :laughing:

Hey Jeri! You so know I'm gonna follow along.

I had no idea Trails End served from a regular menu for lunch, I thought it was a buffet all the time. Can't believe your appetizer was so bad. You gotta try really hard to ruin fried food ; ) But OMG that chicken and waffles looks divine. If you liked that you need to try the spicy chicken and waffle sandwich at sleepy hollow (if you haven't yet). It's sweet and spicy perfection.

Can't wait to see how the trip unfolds. 11 days sounds like perfection.

Yay! Thanks for joining in with me once again!

I think maybe they need to go to a buffet for lunch as well. It is a really good looking lunch menu, but I will say that it seemed like everyone but us ordered their cheeseburger. We were seated right next to the kitchen and that was all we saw coming out, so I guess at lunch they are mainly just catering to the folks who are staying at FW and just want something basic for lunch.

I actually did have that waffle sandwich from Sleepy Hollow a few years ago and OMG was it amazing! I really want to go back for it again, but my timing in MK with food never seems to work out.

Great review of Trail's End. I've never been but there have been quite a few reviews that speak highly of it. I might have to add it to my list to hit up on my next trip. Glad to see you were back n the World!

Thanks! TE is one of our favorites. We actually did the trifecta of breakfast, lunch and dinner here this trip. I would highly recommend giving it a try for breakfast or dinner. The price is very reasonable too!

Following

Thanks for joining in!

woo-hoo! Ive been waiting for your new review to start!!

Alright! Glad you found it! F&G reviews coming up soon!

Yay so glad you started your TR. I loved following you guys on Instagram!

Hey Lori! I feel like Instagram was made for Disney vacations. It's always so fun to follow along with people who are there. Too bad we never ran into each other this trip! :(

Trails End is a wonderful break for lunch, especially on a hot MK day - the boat ride over, then the cool quiet restaurant (you NEVER need an ADR for lunch here!). The apps here mostly don't do anything for me but I agree the chicken & waffles are to die for. DH really enjoyed his fried catfish too, and was able to sub out the collard greens for the country coleslaw which was good because the dish needed something cool.

That is so true! That was actually going to be our plan of action for the following day, but since we ended up eating here the first day we scrapped the idea. The fried catfish sounded good too. Glad to hear that was enjoyable. I really wanted to try a dessert, but we were so full.

Following!

Thanks for joining in!

nice photo of the food...and yes we could do Ohana again for bread pudding ..delicious...thanks for the review so far

Thanks! I love that bread pudding. It is the absolute best. I can't wait to post my 'Ohana review!

Another South Jersey girl here, love your reports, can't wait to hear all about it. We have 12 days planned in August and we are driving (our first time driving). Happily following along :)

Woo hoo! South Jersey! How exciting that you have a long trip coming up in a few months! The drive is... taxing. If you can avoid hitting too much traffic from Baltimore to Richmond, Jacksonville and I-4, it makes it much better. I highly recommend utilizing the EZ Pass Express Lanes in Baltimore and VA if they're open and you have EZ Pass. We skipped about 2 hours worth of stand still traffic for miles around Washington thanks to those lanes. Depending on what time of day you hit Jacksonville, 295 is usually a great alternative. Just stop as often as you need to to take breaks. It's all worth it once you're standing at the check-in counter of the resort. :thumbsup2

I've read several of your reviews, but have never posted. The chicken and waffles look amazing. The description of the fried green tomatoes sounds really good, what a shame the actual taste doesn't match up. I really want to try Trail's End, but I can't find a convenient time to work into our upcoming December trip.

So glad to see your review of TE lunch (I think it's the first I've really seen since they switched over from the lunch buffet!) DH and I are planning to make that our arrival lunch as well, and I was pretty excited about those fried green tomatoes, unfortunately. At least now I can plan on something else and save myself the bitter disappointment of ruined fried green tomatoes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter