Official Star Wars Weekends 2014 Tips and Tricks -The Adventure Continues

Hi everyone!

Very excited to be heading down Thursday! We will be spending the day Saturday at DHS for SWW. I wish it weren't Memorial Day Weekend as I think the crowds will be ridiculous, but we will enjoy seeing as much as we can!

To help maximize our time, we have booked the Feel the Force Package. I have read Kenny's review plus all the feedback here, so I understand the value we are getting (or not getting, depending on your perspective!).

My question is this: I have read several reports that when choosing a place to stand and watch the parade, it's best to stay to the "right" and not on the "left". I would like to follow any advice given (we're SWW newbies!), except I don't know what that's relative to. Should I be reading this as general guidance to "stay as far to the right side when viewing the parade route as possible"? Anyone have a map they could post which clearly depicts, "try for this area, over here"? I just want to know what to try for (understanding we might not get it; we won't shove our way in!).

Thanks so much for any help with this! Hoping to meet some of you on Saturday!

~KSL

Hi everyone!

Very excited to be heading down Thursday! We will be spending the day Saturday at DHS for SWW. I wish it weren't Memorial Day Weekend as I think the crowds will be ridiculous, but we will enjoy seeing as much as we can!

To help maximize our time, we have booked the Feel the Force Package. I have read Kenny's review plus all the feedback here, so I understand the value we are getting (or not getting, depending on your perspective!).

My question is this: I have read several reports that when choosing a place to stand and watch the parade, it's best to stay to the "right" and not on the "left". I would like to follow any advice given (we're SWW newbies!), except I don't know what that's relative to. Should I be reading this as general guidance to "stay as far to the right side when viewing the parade route as possible"? Anyone have a map they could post which clearly depicts, "try for this area, over here"? I just want to know what to try for (understanding we might not get it; we won't shove our way in!).

Thanks so much for any help with this! Hoping to meet some of you on Saturday!

~KSL

the space for FtF is basically a big rectangle (more or less) best spot would be close to the ropes along Hollywood Blvd, the parade comes down Hollywood Blvd and the characters go up on the Hat Stage so if you go to the left side of the viewing you won't be able to see the parade coming down...let me see if I find a good video

In this video he was completely to the left and as you can see the 501st and Rebel Legion march on which gives you a good view but then all the other characters go up on stage so you really don't see them parading
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Yr5MzRqP4
so as long as y ou're by the ropes on the Hollywood Blvds side you'll be fine

Thanks, Yulilin3!
I think I have a better idea of it, now. So there's kind of a "corner" there and if you're on the "left" side (parallel to the stage), you won't see as much, but if you're on the "right" side (along Hollywood Blvd., perpendicular to the stage), you'll see more of the parade as it approaches. I also see how some of the characters exit to the far side of the stage, and that it's harder to see those. So ok, I think I know where to try to get to. Though, TBH, this video made even that spot (on the "left") seem pretty good, so I'm a lot less concerned, now. Thanks again!!

Thanks, Yulilin3!
I think I have a better idea of it, now. So there's kind of a "corner" there and if you're on the "left" side (parallel to the stage), you won't see as much, but if you're on the "right" side (along Hollywood Blvd., perpendicular to the stage), you'll see more of the parade as it approaches. I also see how some of the characters exit to the far side of the stage, and that it's harder to see those. So ok, I think I know where to try to get to. Though, TBH, this video made even that spot (on the "left") seem pretty good, so I'm a lot less concerned, now. Thanks again!!

exactly ...:thumbsup2

We are only going to have 1 day at SWW HS. So far out plan is to get to the park by 7am. Go strait to JTA when they open and my husband goes to line up for chewbacca. After we sign up we will meet over at chewbacca. The parade I think is at 11:30 so we will find a spot at 10:30?? That's as much as I have so far. We know we would also like to meet C3po and r2d2 also storm troopers. .

We are only going to have 1 day at SWW HS. So far out plan is to get to the park by 7am. Go strait to JTA when they open and my husband goes to line up for chewbacca. After we sign up we will meet over at chewbacca. The parade I think is at 11:30 so we will find a spot at 10:30?? That's as much as I have so far. We know we would also like to meet C3po and r2d2 also storm troopers. .

At 10:30am all the shady spots will be taken, if you don't mind being in the sun for an hour and a half then that's fine. If not you need to get a spot earlier than 10:30am
Stormtroopers roam around the Backlot Tour area all day and are easy to get, the Droids are out in the afternoon with Luke and Leia, they rotate so that takes more time

Disney is placing leaflet in the rooms of people checking in during Memorial Day weekend with a couple of TIPS to "maximize the magic" during your stay

Keep your party together
On occasion, our Theme Parks become full due to capacity. Make sure everyone stays together so no one misses out on the action!

Avoid the crowd and feel the force on Friday, May 23. Plus, enjoy Extra Magic Hours until 1:00am!
While at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, schedule your day around the second showing of Fantasmic! at 10:30pm.

Leave your belongings at your Resort. Reduce time at security check by leaving your backpacks at the Resort and just pack smaller items.

Plug in and Charge. Charge your cameras, cell phones, video cameras, etc. the night before to ensure you capture all of your memories.

If anyone is interested, I also noticed there was availability on May 31. I don't know if they opened up more or if there were cancelations.

:banana: :cool1: :banana: :cool1: Doing the single digit dance and I am way too excited, 9 days to go and I'll be at the happiest place on earth! :banana: :cool1: :banana: :cool1:

:rotfl: How is one supposed to focus on work under these conditions? :rotfl:

Is a 10:20 FP for Star Wars "pushing it" for a 10:40 breakfast reservation at Sci Fi?

yes, say you are there at 10:15am (you can go in 5 min. before your scheduled fp time) it'll take you at least 15min between the queue and the ride itself. They are asking everyone to be 15 min. before their ressie to make sure you get checked in and seated, especially since it's later in the breakfast hours

Can someone describe the Rope Drop procedure for me? I'm coming on the 31st but just want to hit the rides at RD.

I know people line up at 3 AM for certain things, but I get the feeling that is to claim a meet and greet pass or voucher of some sort? Or are people actually lined up at the gate at that time?

I'm just wondering if there is any point in trying to do rope drop, or if at 7 AM I'm already going to be so far back that I won't be able to get to TSMM before the lines build up over 15-20 minutes.

Sorry, I've never been so I'm just wondering what to expect. I always assumed SWW would be a 10 crowd level non-stop but the crowd calendars list it anywhere from a 5-8. :confused3 What should I reasonably expect to get done in the first couple of hours if SWW specifics are not a priority?

Can someone describe the Rope Drop procedure for me? I'm coming on the 31st but just want to hit the rides at RD.

I know people line up at 3 AM for certain things, but I get the feeling that is to claim a meet and greet pass or voucher of some sort? Or are people actually lined up at the gate at that time?

I'm just wondering if there is any point in trying to do rope drop, or if at 7 AM I'm already going to be so far back that I won't be able to get to TSMM before the lines build up over 15-20 minutes.

Sorry, I've never been so I'm just wondering what to expect. I always assumed SWW would be a 10 crowd level non-stop but the crowd calendars list it anywhere from a 5-8. :confused3 What should I reasonably expect to get done in the first couple of hours if SWW specifics are not a priority?

If you just want to do rides, be there by 7:20am at the latest, they let you in at 7:30am there's a stormtrooper opening show that starts around 7:40am and ends about 7:50am, then you can go in, go straight to TSMM (it will be a walk on at that point) then Rock n Roller coaster then Tower of Terror...you should be done with those 3 by 9am

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter