• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official DISNEY Cake Chatter Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on ordering the Chocolate Mickey Head cake for my DS's birthday. We're eating at Chef Mickey's so I understand I contact the Comtemporary Bakery. My question is if I order the cake when we arrive (7th Aug) will this be enough notice for them if my sons birthday is on the 19th Aug?

I'm trying to save on the overseas phone cost :)

Thanks
Clayre

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on ordering the Chocolate Mickey Head cake for my DS's birthday. We're eating at Chef Mickey's so I understand I contact the Comtemporary Bakery. My question is if I order the cake when we arrive (7th Aug) will this be enough notice for them if my sons birthday is on the 19th Aug?

I'm trying to save on the overseas phone cost :)

Thanks
Clayre

I think that should be plenty of time. That's 12 days. I ordered mine (also for Chef Mickey's) two weeks out, or maybe slightly less.

Enjoy! It was delicious!

Hi everyone!
I apologize because I'm new to the Cake Chatter thread so please forgive me if my questions have been answered already!

My understanding is that if you aren't staying at one of the Deluxe resorts that has it's own bakery, they can not deliver it to your room, correct? So for example, we're staying at CSR in October so I would not be able to have it delivered to our room there?

That aside.... I would definitely want one of the more elaborate cakes with the fondant and the whole 9 yards. We do have a dinner reservation at Jiko while we're in Disney. I looked through more than half of the cake pictures and just wanted to ask for experiences specific to ordering a cake from AKL.

My other option would be to have it delivered to Ohana on our last night but I wasn't sure if that would work either. I feel so confused and yet I know this is not that hard! :headache:

Thanks!

I think you're correct re: room delivery.

Tough call on when to order the cake. I have read some very mixed reviews on here of the cakes coming out of the AKL bakery. But your other option gives you your cake on the last night and not enough time to enjoy leftovers. (And it's a crime to have to throw them out.)

I have been reading this thread for months :) And I finally made the phone call to CR private dining and got the "e-mail" for Cakemanbri today. I e-mailed him my request and now am waiting for a response. I want a minnie/mickey themed cake for my daughter. Thanks for all the advice, tips etc... I am not sure I would have made my way through the Disney maze without all of you. Dana

What is considered a "normal" cake?? I just want a mini wedding cake. So do I call the hotline or private dining??

to answer your question about DD's tank, I made it. I did a bull's eye tie-dye pattern and with a fabric marker I drew a solid profile of Mary flying away with her umbrella. Thanks for the compliments! Her tank was also a surprise for the greatest breakfast ever!:thumbsup2

I have been communicating with Pat from the GFB regarding the Mad Hatter cake I wanted to surprise my family with. We are still going with "The Incredibles" theme and today I had my first conversation with Pat.

I wanted to post regarding my experince thus far for anyone who is new like I am to the world of WDW Custom Cakes. It can be daunting but with what I have learned on this thread I was well prepaired.

I was givien 2 size options for the Mad Hatter
8" 1 teir ( will have 4 layers of cake with filing between each ) starting @ $150.00

10" 1 teir starting @ $250

My cake options were Vanilla, Chocolate, or Marble
My Filling Option were Vanilla or Chocolate buttercream or White /Dark Chocolate mousse.

I was fine with Vanilla cake and buttercream as my DD is not a Chocolate Fan the rest of us are ok with anything. We are going with 8".

I had a few ideas for the cake but also wanted to give the bakers some freedom to be creative with the theme. We spoke about fondant colors and exchanged different pictures (via email) of the characters for the cake. I decided to have her surprise me with the colors for the fondant as long as it stays within the theme. My only other request was that they incorporate our names around the sides of the cake or on the cake somehow again totally up to them.

I have not seen a Mad Hatter Cake that I don't like so I felt comfortable giving her the freedom to what they do. Plus I will get a little surpirse too. She was a pleasure to talk to and we will talk again around 1 to 2 weeks before I leave and I plan to call ahead a couple of days prior. We are currently 24 days out.

I have been communicating with Pat from the GFB regarding the Mad Hatter cake I wanted to surprise my family with. We are still going with "The Incredibles" theme and today I had my first conversation with Pat.

I wanted to post regarding my experince thus far for anyone who is new like I am to the world of WDW Custom Cakes. It can be daunting but with what I have learned on this thread I was well prepaired.

8" 1 teir ( will have 4 layers of cake with filing between each ) starting @ $150.00

My Filling Option were Vanilla or Chocolate buttercream or White /Dark Chocolate mousse.

I was fine with Vanilla cake and buttercream as my DD is not a Chocolate Fan the rest of us are ok with anything. We are going with 8".

I had a few ideas for the cake but also wanted to give the bakers some freedom to be creative with the theme. We spoke about fondant colors and exchanged different pictures (via email) of the characters for the cake. I decided to have her surprise me with the colors for the fondant as long as it stays within the theme. My only other request was that they incorporate our names around the sides of the cake or on the cake somehow again totally up to them.

I have not seen a Mad Hatter Cake that I don't like so I felt comfortable giving her the freedom to what they do. Plus I will get a little surpirse too. She was a pleasure to talk to and we will talk again around 1 to 2 weeks before I leave and I plan to call ahead a couple of days prior. We are currently 24 days out.

Thanks for posting this! I just rearranged some ADRs today so that we can get one of Pat's cakes! I'm excited to get the ball rolling so I'm glad you are having a positive experience so far! I still have 94 days though so it will be awhile before I officially get started!

So what code word :lmao: do you have to say to get an anniversary cake? I desparately want the 6" top tier of our (WDW) wedding cake. I don't think I have my BEO anymore, we got married in '06.

We currently have a trip booked in January. Ya I know really early to be planning, but a few years ago we went for my DH's B-day and I was so busy getting everything ready I forgot his b-day! Anyway...his birthday is our "off" day with no parks. We currently have Chef Mickey's for breakfast and T-Rex for dinner. What suggestions do you have? I am sure I could get a cake for Chef Mickey's, but I don't know if anyone would be up for cake that early. I am assuming T-Rex isn't considered Disney since it isn't on the dining plan. Can I have a cake sent to POP? The night before we are at Epcot so if I had to I could have the cake then I guess. HELP!!!! I have planned many trips, but cakes are new to me! :confused3

We currently have a trip booked in January. Ya I know really early to be planning, but a few years ago we went for my DH's B-day and I was so busy getting everything ready I forgot his b-day! Anyway...his birthday is our "off" day with no parks. We currently have Chef Mickey's for breakfast and T-Rex for dinner. What suggestions do you have? I am sure I could get a cake for Chef Mickey's, but I don't know if anyone would be up for cake that early. I am assuming T-Rex isn't considered Disney since it isn't on the dining plan. Can I have a cake sent to POP? The night before we are at Epcot so if I had to I could have the cake then I guess. HELP!!!! I have planned many trips, but cakes are new to me! :confused3

T-Rex is not a WDW restaurant and is owned/operated by Landry's (also owns RFC) and I would assume that if you want a cake or special birthday dessert there that you'd need to call T-Rex directly. I've seen some really great cakes come out of Chef Mickey's and I see nothing wrong with having cake for breakfast. ;) And if that is your non-park day than it wouldn't be too much trouble taking the cake back to your room after breakfast to feast on the rest of your trip.

Just a question, maybe somewhat off topic.. How do you decide what theme for your cake? I have been mulling over this for months now. We will be there for DD's 4th bday. She loves the princesses, Tinkerbell, toy story, Mickey Mouse, Phineas and Ferb. She has never really declared a favorite color. I showed her the cakes today and of course she liked all of them. It will just be me ,DD and DH. I was planning to have it delivered when we eat at 1900 PF the morning of her birthday. Then we will have all Sunday to Thursday AM to eat it. I don't think we need anything much bigger than 8in but could probably do most of a a 10". Any suggestions?

Just a question, maybe somewhat off topic.. How do you decide what theme for your cake? I have been mulling over this for months now. We will be there for DD's 4th bday. She loves the princesses, Tinkerbell, toy story, Mickey Mouse, Phineas and Ferb. She has never really declared a favorite color. I showed her the cakes today and of course she liked all of them. It will just be me ,DD and DH. I was planning to have it delivered when we eat at 1900 PF the morning of her birthday. Then we will have all Sunday to Thursday AM to eat it. I don't think we need anything much bigger than 8in but could probably do most of a a 10". Any suggestions?

I'm having the same issue! I want to do a cake for our anniversary but we don't want anything too feminine. The problem is the he wants Pirates and I want pretty much anything BUT Pirates!

Since your daughter likes them all, I would say just go with whatever YOU like best. It sounds like she will be surprised and happy with whatever you choose! You could also try and narrow it down by showing a few different movies and see which one she would prefer watch....or show her some t-shirts, or bath towels, or whatever....with different characters on them and see which one she chooses as the one she likes best.

I'm having the same issue! I want to do a cake for our anniversary but we don't want anything too feminine. The problem is the he wants Pirates and I want pretty much anything BUT Pirates!

You could do Mickey and Minnie as pirates... like from the pin sets... OK, that's still pirates... Arrrrh..... pirate:

Hi! First of all thanks so much to the organizer of this thread-the pics are well organized and awesome!

Second, I believe there is a "Disney" Wal-Mart close to the resort area? Has anyone ordered a "Disney-fied Cake" from there while on vacation?

We have a double birthday to celebrate and I really can't gut spending a minimum of $50 on a cake for my 2 boys.

Has anyone tried this? We are going to have their B-Day lunch at T-Rex-would it even be allowed for us to bring a "outside" cake in?

Thanks for your help!

Since your daughter likes them all, I would say just go with whatever YOU like best. It sounds like she will be surprised and happy with whatever you choose! You could also try and narrow it down by showing a few different movies and see which one she would prefer watch....or show her some t-shirts, or bath towels, or whatever....with different characters on them and see which one she chooses as the one she likes best.

I ask her if she wants this character or that character. Each time she changed her mind. I think I agree that I'm gonna pick my fav.. which would be cinderella!! The other thing I thought of is to use the princesses there and maybe do mickey and friends for her party here with the fam!
For you, could you do a pirate Mickey and Princess Minnie. Or maybe just put Mickey and Minnie in a boat.. that would be close but still not a pirate!!:laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter