Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

OK, I got the skinny on the situation at the Contemporary.

They have a new Cake Coordinator who works 5 days a week (she is off on Wednesday and Thursday). The Contemporary's special Cake Hotline (407-824-2955) is still active and she monitors it. But the generic email has been replaced by her personal email, and the DIS does not allow us to post cast members' personal emails.

Also, they have some new guidelines for the timeframe in which you can place cake orders (which are really so sensible I'd use them as a rule of thumb for any resort or park's cake-ordering process): At least 1 week's notice is required for elaborate cakes; simple cakes may be ordered 72 hours in advance. Orders may not be placed more than 90 days in advance.

So am I correct in assuming they’re not monitoring the old email address then? I think we may be out of luck now. That’s what we get for waiting patiently for a response. Bummer.

@Skylarr29 I would not give up hope yet! You still have a whole week, and the cake coordinator is working today. I'd email everything again to that address your husband got, then call the main number for the Contemporary (407-824-3500) and ask to be transferred to Private Dining. Explain how your order got lost in the changeover and how close your trip is, and I'm sure they'll be able to get you in touch with the cake coordinator.

I just received an email from someone named Terry - looks like someone is still checking the email and referring folks to the phone number.

Just as an FYI, I emailed MK specialty desserts and the list they sent me no longer has the little cake for the Fireworks Dessert Party.

I imagine they weren't too popular... but darn it I was actually considering it!

So am I correct in assuming they’re not monitoring the old email address then? I think we may be out of luck now. That’s what we get for waiting patiently for a response. Bummer.

Don't give up hope! I had e-mailed before too and was just waiting but never got a response. Called last night after reading the info on here and left a message with my phone number and e-mail and received an e-mail from the coordinator today following up! Definitely call

I had asked awhile back about a Boba Fett inspired cake and lurkyloo has posted an awesome picture of a cake done by the Grand Floridian pastry team. I am bummed to report that I cannot get the Boba Fett helmet cake because of copyright laws. I am trying to figure out what to do now. My husband turns 40 on our trip and I was really wanting something cool for him. He always tells me his favorite Disney movie is Frozen so I may go that direction. Any thoughts or ideas would be great!
I posted a yoda cake if he is a yoda fan - we just did a mini cake and it turned out super cute. My husband loves Boba Fett, too, but was happy with yoda, and well, cake. Can't wait to see what you decide!

Some questions:
>If I want a cake delivered to Sanaa, do I call the Cake Hotline or the number listed for Animal Kingdom Lodge? It's been several years since we've had a cake at AKL (delivered to Jiko) and at the time, Amanda wasn't too easy to work with.
>What are the costs associated with in-room delivery at AKL?
>Are there flavor options on "fruit mousse?"
>What is the Zebra Cake like?

I'm not sure I'm going to order a cake. It seems to get more and more difficult to get the cake you want!

My daughter's 24th birthday cake for the fireworks cruise we took last August. Delicious. This was made at the Grand Floridian.

img_4137-jpg.344767

Attachments

• IMG_4137.JPG
    IMG_4137.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,024
I'm thinking about getting a cake for our stay at AKL; we are celebrating DD's 25th birthday. I am OK with the 8" options and price, but what is "fruit mousse" for a filling? Is it a generic "fruit" flavor or will I get to choose from a variety of fruit flavors (strawberry, raspberry, etc). Also, has anyone had any luck getting cake flavors other than the vanilla, chocolate, or marble that is listed? I know that 4 years ago we were able to get red velvet cake from the AKL team, delivered to Jiko. Can't decide if I want the cake delivered to Sanaa or just get it for our room. If I get it for the room, can I pick it up in one of the AKL restaurants (staying at Jambo) or do I HAVE to do private dining/room service?

Also... has anyone had the zebra striped cake? What is the filling?

About the fruit mousses - they are individual flavors. I ordered strawberry mousse filling for my daughter’s cake this past May and it was outstanding.

:sunny:

Got some fantastic news today! Legal approved the Boba Fett helmet cake so I am moving forward with that! I'm so excited!

YAY! I'm sorry - I missed which location you will be ordering from? I am having a really hard time deciding on if I should do a Star Wars theme or something standard for an anniversary one I'm getting as a surprise for my husband in September. I should probably do something with a mini cake but I love the options a 6-8 inch opens up and he's a Star Wars Fanatic!

YAY! I'm sorry - I missed which location you will be ordering from? I am having a really hard time deciding on if I should do a Star Wars theme or something standard for an anniversary one I'm getting as a surprise for my husband in September. I should probably do something with a mini cake but I love the options a 6-8 inch opens up and he's a Star Wars Fanatic!
We're staying at Pop so Boardwalk Bakery will be making it :)

Hi all!

After wavering back and forth for literally months, I finally just put in my order for a Lion King custom fondant cake to be delivered to our room at Beach Club for this Thursday. I'm glad I got the order in on time! I'm so excited for the trip, and the cake, and I am so grateful that I had all the cake chatter threads to prepare me for the phone conversation with the CM. I knew to ask for an email with the image choices for the Simba on top of the cake, and that I could also send them some photos for inspiration, as well. I was a little disappointed that I had to size up to an 8 inch cake, after I had read that people have been having success with getting 6 inch custom cakes done, but the CM absolutely wouldn't budge on the size, saying that the only 6 inch available was the new Mickey ear celebration cake (which I knew from these threads that I didn't want!).

I was quoted $76 from Y&B private dining for an 8 inch vanilla cake, with white buttercream filling and frosting, under fondant, with a 2-D Simba image on top, with green grassy-leafy fondant decorations. Does that sound like a reasonable price for what I'm getting? From doing my research on the thread, I think it is, but I just wanted to check with the rest of the Disney cake crew here!

Of course, there will be pictures when we get it!

Hi all, back after over a year, finally with pictures of last summer's Lion King cake from Y&B. My brother was so pleased with it! I hope the picture works, it's my first pic upload to the DIS!

June%202017%2076_zpsmghagk9f.jpg

DH and I are going back to YC in October to celebrate our 5 year anniversary/babymoon. This time, I'm thinking of ordering us a minicake, possibly themed with baby Mickey and Minnie 2-D images, if possible, to celebrate us moving into this new phase of our lives!

If anyone has any baby themed cakes, I'd be thrilled to see!

Hi all, back after over a year, finally with pictures of last summer's Lion King cake from Y&B. My brother was so pleased with it! I hope the picture works, it's my first pic upload to the DIS!

June%202017%2076_zpsmghagk9f.jpg

DH and I are going back to YC in October to celebrate our 5 year anniversary/babymoon. This time, I'm thinking of ordering us a minicake, possibly themed with baby Mickey and Minnie 2-D images, if possible, to celebrate us moving into this new phase of our lives!

If anyone has any baby themed cakes, I'd be thrilled to see!
Simba turned out great, love the cake!

So, I waited two full weeks for a response from the YC&BC bakery for, what I thought, would be an easy Haunted Mansion 20th anniversary cake. Finally received response that they won’t do the Bride and her groom in frame. They suggested an edible image of my DH and myself in a frame which...no, just no, The HM Bride and groom was the entire point and implying I am the bride is kinda weird and inappropriate, IMO. Plus it is just us, who wants a cake featuring yourselves? LOL This is very disappointing, our experiences with this bakery have been amazing over the years, but there has been nothing good about this one.

So, I need a new idea and, since this process has taken forever, I need one fast. Does anyone have an anniversary theme suggestions? I have to say, we aren’t into characters at all, really, so no Mickey and Minnie or most other couples. A SW themed “I love you”, “I know” could work but afraid they will bounce it back for copyright reasons or whatever reasons. Would appreciate any other ideas.

My other option is to try to get my original cake idea at our Cali Grill brunch. We really prefer for it to be set up in our room though.

Attaching a photo of my inspiration cake.

Attachments

• B2AC5821-09B4-413C-95CD-4D03F2D126D6.jpeg
    B2AC5821-09B4-413C-95CD-4D03F2D126D6.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 228
Just to follow up with the post above. When I questioned their response, they answered that the image was denied by legal. I am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt but this exact chocolate Bride and groom frame has been used for many Disney World cakes so I am sceptical about that. @lurkyloo, any idea why one cake would pass and the same cake idea wouldn’t?

@jenjersnap That is ridiculous. As you have said, that image has been used by basically every other pastry team on property for Haunted Mansion cakes. Do they want proof? Cuz we can dig up a dozen images just from the Disboards.

This is when I hate the old "ask a different cast member, get a different answer" at WDW.

One sorta complicated idea would be to order just the frame and image to be delivered to you at CA Grill and then take it back to Y&BC to put on your cake. Heck, you could probably print it out yourself and put it in a little frame to stick on the cake. There are even people on Etsy who will print it on edible paper for you!

@jenjersnap That is ridiculous. As you have said, that image has been used by basically every other pastry team on property for Haunted Mansion cakes. Do they want proof? Cuz we can dig up a dozen images just from the Disboards.

This is when I hate the old "ask a different cast member, get a different answer" at WDW.

One sorta complicated idea would be to order just the frame and image to be delivered to you at CA Grill and then take it back to Y&BC to put on your cake. Heck, you could probably print it out yourself and put it in a little frame to stick on the cake. There are even people on Etsy who will print it on edible paper for you!

Thanks so much for the confirmation it is ridiculous. I did point out that Google images shows this is a very common image. The coordinator said they had no idea why some things get through and others don’t. He did send some other inspiration Haunted Mansion cakes (all featured here, BTW) and one had the stretching room portraits so trying to get that next. Betting the quote goes way up, but I would be happy with those.

Thanks so much for the confirmation it is ridiculous. I did point out that Google images shows this is a very common image. The coordinator said they had no idea why some things get through and others don’t. He did send some other inspiration Haunted Mansion cakes (all featured here, BTW) and one had the stretching room portraits so trying to get that next. Betting the quote goes way up, but I would be happy with those.

Great. Now I'm expecting my Coco-inspired cake to cost $1 million.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter