******Official 2017 Free Dining Plan Watch, Wait, and Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone made an official announcement that free dining will drop tomorrow? I know on the last sale that was announced it was on the same exact day that it was released so didn't know if that's what will happen this time too.

Disney would the the only one who could make an "official" announcement. Until FD or any discount drops, it's an educated guess, rumor....

Black has always reminded everyone of this and recommends not to make any changes or book until FD actually drops.

sounding more and more like it will be tomorrow, but a couple of years ago it was a day or 2 later than predicted and members here got very nasty.

I'm in Toronto. Just after 7am here. I just woke up for the day.

Ahh! I thought you meant you're going to bed NOW and leaving your husband on duty. It says something that I didn't think it strange your husband was going to pull an all nighter 24hrs before FD is meant to drop JUST IN CASE it came early. Crazy, but seemed legit in light of this thread.

I was in Toronto in 2001. Stayed at the YWCA with my backpack. Fun times!!

I haven't been able to bring myself to eat figs since I learned about their relationship with wasps... gives me the shivers!

Meh. We eat tonnes of bugs unconsciously. In Japan, Thailand and Vietnam I've even eaten them consciously!!!
Whatever you do, don't google bugs and chocolate...
:scared1:

I thought I'd share my strategy for tomorrow morning anticipating that there will be even more pressure on values given the rumoured mod QS offer. While every year is different based on demand & inventory, last year I was a good half hour late booking after the FD drop and the POP standard rooms as well as AS Music standard rooms were gone. Preferred rooms at both were still available but I didn't want to pay the difference. My guess is that WDW releases limited standard room inventory across the board at all resorts hoping to squeeze Free Diners into up market rooms. Now, many people have reported that they booked POP & AS Music standard rooms in the days after FD dropped (TA's had released holds, etc.) so this may not be the end of the world and you may be able to change to what you want in the days or weeks following drop. AS Sports standard rooms were the only value standard room available for my dates when I booked & that's what I took. I had a very good experience at Sports and didn't regret my stay at all. While the Sports theme is the least appealing of any WDW resort to me, it worked out very well. I was there late Sept to early Oct and saw no sign of sports teams or cheerleaders. I stayed in the Basketball Hoops Hotel Bldg 2 and was a quick 5 min walk to the bus. The only real theming I noticed was the Surfs Up preferred section that I cut across every morning and evening. AS Sports worked perfectly for me. So this year, I'm going to try immediately for AS Sports standard room and not waste time or mess with other options. Sports bus is the first to pick up and first to drop off when sharing with other AS resorts. While I prefer the AS Music theming, I have stayed there previously & had some concerns. At that time, the Jazz section was still standard (now preferred) and even with that section, it was a fairly dark walk to and from the bus late at night for a single guest. Now that standard rooms are even deeper back in the Music footprint, the theming just isn't enough to overcome the distance esp in the dark. I had significant bus sharing & transpo delays & Music is the worst in the middle spot to be for sharing. Like always, discuss your options with your family and have backups in place should your first choice not be available. If FD is the reason you are booking, then be prepared to book what is available for your vacation dates. You may be able to change later but be comfortable with your choice in case you can't.

Thanks for sharing. My plan was to go for a Pop standard. I may consider preferred, or Preferred pool since I'm going in December and pools close early anyways. I may consider Sports standard, but I'm just not excited about the AllStars. It's nice to know you didn't really want it, but now you're hoping for it this time around. :)

I thought I'd share my strategy for tomorrow morning anticipating that there will be even more pressure on values given the rumoured mod QS offer. While every year is different based on demand & inventory, last year I was a good half hour late booking after the FD drop and the POP standard rooms as well as AS Music standard rooms were gone. Preferred rooms at both were still available but I didn't want to pay the difference. My guess is that WDW releases limited standard room inventory across the board at all resorts hoping to squeeze Free Diners into up market rooms. Now, many people have reported that they booked POP & AS Music standard rooms in the days after FD dropped (TA's had released holds, etc.) so this may not be the end of the world and you may be able to change to what you want in the days or weeks following drop. AS Sports standard rooms were the only value standard room available for my dates when I booked & that's what I took. I had a very good experience at Sports and didn't regret my stay at all. While the Sports theme is the least appealing of any WDW resort to me, it worked out very well. I was there late Sept to early Oct and saw no sign of sports teams or cheerleaders. I stayed in the Basketball Hoops Hotel Bldg 2 and was a quick 5 min walk to the bus. The only real theming I noticed was the Surfs Up preferred section that I cut across every morning and evening. AS Sports worked perfectly for me. So this year, I'm going to try immediately for AS Sports standard room and not waste time or mess with other options. Sports bus is the first to pick up and first to drop off when sharing with other AS resorts. While I prefer the AS Music theming, I have stayed there previously & had some concerns. At that time, the Jazz section was still standard (now preferred) and even with that section, it was a fairly dark walk to and from the bus late at night for a single guest. Now that standard rooms are even deeper back in the Music footprint, the theming just isn't enough to overcome the distance esp in the dark. I had significant bus sharing & transpo delays & Music is the worst in the middle spot to be for sharing. Like always, discuss your options with your family and have backups in place should your first choice not be available. If FD is the reason you are booking, then be prepared to book what is available for your vacation dates. You may be able to change later but be comfortable with your choice in case you can't.
ASSp seems to be the least popular Value, I am sure it would be the easiest one to book tomorrow.

We have stayed a ASSp twice including last November on a TA deal. We requested and got a room in Bldg 5 in the Center Court section, a bit of a walk but much quieter. Food Court was very good: steak, turkey dinner, pizza. plus you can walk over and use the Music and Movies pools

We never shared buses last trip.

Last edited:
Ahh! I thought you meant you're going to bed NOW and leaving your husband on duty. It says something that I didn't think it strange your husband was going to pull an all nighter 24hrs before FD is meant to drop JUST IN CASE it came early. Crazy, but seemed legit in light of this thread.

I was in Toronto in 2001. Stayed at the YWCA with my backpack. Fun times!!

:rotfl:I'm not that mean. But you're right, strangely enough, it doesn't sound that weird.

Now only free quick service at moderates? This plus requiring park hoppers = major devaluation of "free" dining in recent years.

they have all categories, just depends on which ones the deal is for that month, we wanted POP or ASMu; ASSp was the only value our week in November, could have booked at POP in October.

I got POP in November as one of the TA options FWIW... I ended up choosing POR.

Now only free quick service at moderates? This plus requiring park hoppers = major devaluation of "free" dining in recent years.

True, but it doesn't affect everyone the same way.
Some people prefer QS but want to stay in a moderate. They don't want to be tied down to ADRs as they've been-there-done-that and want to focus more on rides. So having the TS dining would have been wasted on them.

As for park hoppers, a lot of people (like us) plan to get them anyway.

I can see how for some people it makes a massive difference compared to previous years, but there are also people the changes only affect mildly or not at all.

Disney would the the only one who could make an "official" announcement. Until FD or any discount drops, it's an educated guess, rumor....

Black has always reminded everyone of this and recommends not to make any changes or book until FD actually drops.

sounding more and more like it will be tomorrow, but a couple of years ago it was a day or 2 later than predicted and members here got very nasty.

Sad that members could get so nasty considering that disclaimers have been posted continuously and by many!! Still, it's aggravating to stay up all night for nothing but that's the individuals' choice to do so. Bad Disney making people do this!! LOL!!!!

Does anyone know if the Pop warner players stay at CSR or do they typically go to all stars

They always stay at values and one or two moderates. I usually hear of them staying at CBR but you never know with construction. You can actually google and usually find the official sign up package deal that the schools would use to sign up for whatever event is going on in my experience.

Thank you! Do think there's more a chance for swimming weather in November? I know it's only a few weeks a part, but I'm just trying to have something sway me one way or another

Unfortunately that time frame is just too unpredictable. We went the week after Thanksgiving a few years ago (see that picture over there <--- ). We were in shorts and Ts the first part of the week and coats, jeans and hats before the end of the week. The same is true for the other week you're looking at. You may be lucky and FD will make the choice for you...which week you can get the best deal!

And that IS the plan. Disney wants FD to go away all together. Be thankful they are weaning the public off as gradually as they can.

ASSp seems to be the least popular Value, I am sure it would be the easiest one to book tomorrow.

We have stayed a ASSp twice including last November on a TA deal. We requested and got a room in Bldg 5 in the Center Court section, a bit of a walk but much quieter. Food Court was very good: steak, turkey dinner, pizza. plus you can walk over and use the Music and Movies pools

We never shared buses last trip.

I'm hoping that Sports is the easiest get tomorrow. We have the least amount of problem with it. Here's wishing everyone gets what they want tomorrow!!!

My dilema- tomorrow I have a huge reporting deadline and I am at EST and I have to book package for 9 with 3 difierent rooms. I normally wake up at 5:45 but waking up at 3:40 to get the offer is :worried:. I have to drive 2 hours to and from work. Dilema- waking up at 3:40 or waking up at 4:45 and select any available inventory at Value.

Running numbers over and over. I've always wanted to stay at POR... but POP will be about $700 cheaper. What are your honest opinions is POR worth the extra money. We really aren't picky my kids ages 8 and 11 loved All Star Sports last visit. I just really wanted to try a moderate. So wishing there would be a surprise and the mods would still get the table service dining.

You will get a lot of opinions on this :). To me, the moderates are worth the upgrade cost. But what really makes it worth it to me is the fact that you said that you really wanted to try a moderate. This is your vacation ... you only live once. :). That said, $700 is significant. That's essentially the same number preventing me from upgrading to deluxe for my TA booking. But I have stayed at the deluxe in question twice already. So it all depends on how you define "worth it".

So we typically go the last week of October or first week of November. This year our only option is The Saturday through Tuesday before thanksgiving. I know what the crowd calendars say but just wondering from anybody's first hand experience how bad will those days be crowd wise?
We went in 2015 the week prior to thanksgiving. THe crowds got a bit worse the Saturday prior. We were in MK and leaving after the fireworks was a madhouse. But during the day, it wasn't awful. Sunday were were at AK and the crowds were moderate. We left on Monday.
I have a friend who takes her family every thanksgiving. They either fly into Disney on thanksgiving or black Friday. She says that the weekends are busy but during the week, it's really not that bad. Of course, it's all relative. She is probably used to the busy holiday season. I just feel like, you should go to Disney when you can. You can adjust to the crowds. Christmas time is the most magical time of year there and I think it's worth fighting a few crowds. Lol

My dilema- tomorrow I have a huge reporting deadline and I am at EST and I have to book package for 9 with 3 difierent rooms. I normally wake up at 5:45 but waking up at 3:40 to get the offer is :worried:. I have to drive 2 hours to and from work. Dilema- waking up at 3:40 or waking up at 4:45 and select any available inventory at Value.

If I was me, I know if I decided on the 4.45am wake up that my brain would wake me up at 3.40am anyway and I'd be lying there awake. So may as well go with the earlier one! If you get what you want you may be a bit grumpy with the early start, but it will be greatly assuaged by the triumph of free dining.

If, however, you get up at 4.45am and don't get free dining, or you have a lot of trouble and you end up having to leave for work before it's all sorted, you're not likely to say "Ah, well. I didn't get free dining but at least I got an extra hour's sleep!"

That's my rationale!

Thank you! Do think there's more a chance for swimming weather in November? I know it's only a few weeks a part, but I'm just trying to have something sway me one way or another

I went both weeks and went swimming both weeks. :). But this is very hit or miss. I have also gone in November and worn a ski jacket the whole week. You can't predict.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter