Official 2015 Quick Service Meal Substitutions *Post Here*

spartankid34

DIS Veteran
There were changes rumored back in May about the possibility of substituting out a dessert, or drink item for another item marked as a snack when ordering a quick service meal: (The following is from the 2016 QSDP & Reg. DP)
***These changes are now outlined in the 2015 Dining Plans*** (click link)

For Breakfast

• Entrée
• Non-Alcoholic Beverage*

For Lunch/Dinner

• Entrée
• Dessert*
• Non-Alcoholic Beverage*

* May be substituted for any item that is an eligible snack at the location.

WE HAVE YET TO SEE MANY OF THESE SUBSTITUTIONS BEING POSTED AS BEING ALLOWED :( I am sure I'm not the only one waiting to here about these substitutions being allowed, where we can make them, and what was offered. (Onion rings instead of a chocolate cake cup...BOG soup instead of a drink) **YES, PLEASE!!

So post here, officially, the substitutions you were able to make on the dining plan when ordering your quick service meals! We can hope that this thread also helps confirm some of the new snack options around the 'World'

Last edited:
There were changes announced back in May
WE HAVE YET TO SEE MANY OF THESE SUBSTITUTIONS BEING POSTED AS BEING ALLOWED
1. The information you copied comes from the 2016 brochure, and they were not "announced" in May
2. We have seen reports of these substitutions being allowed, just not consistently

1. The information you copied comes from the 2016 brochure, and they were not "announced" in May
2. We have seen reports of these substitutions being allowed, just not consistently
I've updated my original post to say "rumored" and to reflect the 2016 plan. Thanks, but I was just looking for confirmation, and an OFFICIAL place for others to contribute and look as well.

Great idea for a post Spartankid34 and thanks for starting the thread. I'm itching to see the exact same kind of reports. I'm off to Disney in mid September and am hoping to be able to make some of the subs listed in the new 2016 plan and will report back, but it would be great to hear from others who've already tried this.

I'll be onthe regular DDP and personally I'm really hoping to be able to use some counter service credits (they're always the ones I end up with left over) in exchange for three snacks in some locations, as I want to save a lot of my snack credits for the food and wine festival!

Great news as these substitutions have now been clearly added to the 2015 Dining Plan Brochures!!!

Link added to the first post!

Might be a good idea to make it clear this is only for QUICK service where snacks are offered. Obviously if the only snack credit at that QS is a dessert or drink then you can't sub.

Might be a good idea to make it clear this is only for QUICK service where snacks are offered. Obviously if the only snack credit at that QS is a dessert or drink then you can't sub.
I think that's clearly what was originally posted, but I'll update the title to help clear it up for others.

They make it pretty clear, however, that children cannot order adult meals, which was something that was rumored to be changing.

This is a copy of a post I wrote on another thread at the request of the op here.

I will share our experience last week with trying to substitute some things according to the new policy. At Columbia Harbor House I was told by a the cast member at the register that I could not have soup instead of dessert. I told her about the new policy and she said she didn't think so, but asked another cast member who told her yes we could. She then rung it up and it worked fine. She was very nice and didn't have an attitude about it, so I think many cast members just haven't been informed of this. If you ask nicely and ask them to just try to ring it up that way at Quick service it will probably just work and they will be surprised. We did this several times with substituting something for drink or dessert. The cast member at Sunshine Seasons knew about the policy and it was fine. The cast member at the Quick service Bratwurst place in Germany was aware of the policy and we had no trouble substituting a potato salad for the dessert with our meal.

When we were there in June it seemed that more cast members were unaware of the new policy, but if I could convince them to just try to ring it up they saw that it worked. Smiling and saying please just try it seemed to work well. I remember doing this at Cosmic Rays and other places. We usually are more likely to want to substitute at Quick service places, because the desserts are generally better at table service restaurants.

When we had dinner at Be Our Guest however the waiter said we could not substitute a soup for our dessert. He said the restaurant did not allow any substitutions. He thought it may be "because we are so new." I could have pressed the issue as I think he may have been confusing my request with substituting a different side when they plate all the meals the same with certain sides, but I kind of wanted a cupcake any way. I hope others will continue to post their experiences with this, and that more cast members will be made aware of how the new policy works.

Offsite: 1980, 1987, 1990, 1998, 2000, CSR 2002, offsite 2003, DLR 2005, offsite 2005, 2011, AKL Kidani 6/2011, POR 8/2011, Dream 12/2012, POR 4/2013, ASSP 1/2014, Magic 1/2014, CSR 4/2014, VWL Christmas 2014, CBR 1/2015, YC 3/2015, POFQ 4/2015

so i wrote to disney dinning departement yesterday about the dining plan change because I had a few questions. I thought it may be helpful for other so I here is the email I send and the respond I got

I have a question about the dining plan changes and the fact that we can now exchange 1QS meal for 3 snacks.Can we do that at any counter service? Even the ones that only have snack? For example can I exchange 1QS meal for 3 cinnamon rolls at Gaston tavern? Also wondering can I make the exchange if I still have snack credits lefts because I really want too keep my snacks credits for food and wine kiost.

I have another question..I Will have some child TS credits left..Can I exchange it for 1QS regardless if its a child or adult QS?

Sorry for my bad english..I M a frencher canadian

Dear Catherine,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

We are excited to hear that you will be visiting Walt Disney World Resort!

You will be happy to know that you may exchange 1 Quick Service Meal for 3 snacks, this can only be done in 1 transaction.

Snack eligible items will be noted on each signage. Quick service meal exchange can be done at any Disney operated location.

You may use your child table service credit for an adult quick service meal.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Have a Magical Day!

Sincerely,

Camelle Johnson

eCommerce Sales and Service Team

So if you are at the resort food court you can use your refillable mug and use the drink for a snack item instead of getting a bottle water for later like I usually do? Also, do you think we will be able to substitute the drink for a snack item smoothie when available? So many options..... Will definitely exchange the drink for Flame Tree onion ring snack credit!

So if you are at the resort food court you can use your refillable mug and use the drink for a snack item instead of getting a bottle water for later like I usually do? Also, do you think we will be able to substitute the drink for a snack item smoothie when available? So many options..... Will definitely exchange the drink for Flame Tree onion ring snack credit!

As far as what it says, this seems exactly like what we'll be able to do. I am heading down in 8 days, and will be very willing to report back as I will be on the QSDP for part of my trip!

Dinner at Pop....... I got an entree and I wanted to substitute two of the soups (which cost $3.99 each) for a dessert and drink, but I wasn't allowed to do so. The cashier said, I must get an entree, dessert and drink to use as a quick service meal. No substitutions allowed. I didn't push the issue. So it really depends on who your cashier is.

The best thing to do (at resort quick service locations) is to tell the cashier what you would like and see if she'll ring it in as a meal before you go ahead and order.

My understanding was that you can go from a dessert and drink to a side, not the other way around. Am I confused?

My understanding was that you can go from a dessert and drink to a side, not the other way around. Am I confused?

No, you're not confused; people just keep typing it wrong. The DDP gives you an entree, drink, and dessert. For QS, you can "trade in" the dessert/drink for any snack item at the restaurant as long as it's all done in the same transaction.

Last edited:
Dinner at Pop....... I got an entree and I wanted to substitute two of the soups (which cost $3.99 each) for a dessert and drink, but I wasn't allowed to do so. The cashier said, I must get an entree, dessert and drink to use as a quick service meal. No substitutions allowed. I didn't push the issue. So it really depends on who your cashier is.

The best thing to do (at resort quick service locations) is to tell the cashier what you would like and see if she'll ring it in as a meal before you go ahead and order.

Obviously there is some lack of training here. I will bring a print out of the 2015 QSDP page which clearly reads these substitutions are allowed, and maybe that will make a difference. Sorry to hear that you couldn't substitute. By chance were the soups not marked as a snack??

Obviously there is some lack of training here. I will bring a print out of the 2015 QSDP page which clearly reads these substitutions are allowed, and maybe that will make a difference. Sorry to hear that you couldn't substitute. By chance were the soups not marked as a snack??
The soups are all marked as a snack.

I substituted two drinks for an order of fries and an order of chicken fried rice today at the Yak and Yeti counter service. :thumbsup2

The cm hesitated, but I mentioned the new policy and so he asked the cashier beside him. The other cashier said he had heard of the policy, but wasn't sure how to implement it, so my cashier rang the side orders in as drinks and then when he printed out the bill he crossed out the drinks and wrote in fries and fried rice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter