• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Off topic: Anyone do Colonial Williamsburg in a wheelchair? other places nearby?

Bete

DIS Veteran
Please share your experience; we leave on Saturday.

I know all buildings are not accessible and I know the so-called trolley is wheelchair and scooter friendly.

I think this place can be very tough on a wheelchair; because, all surfaces are not smooth.

How much where you able to accomplish in a day? I think we will have short days like 4 to 5 hours and call it quits.

I'd like any hints or stradegies on how to attack the place.

What about Busch Gardens there? Did you like it?

Should we go to Virginia Beach; is it worth it for a day?

What about night time activities? I'm not into hearing a harpsicord concert at Williamsburg.

We live near williamsburg and have gone several times, we have one family member with a scooter and one in a manual w/c. I think the only non-accessible places we found were some of the old shops and cafes in the historic area. of course, the upper floors of the historic homes were also impassable for us. the busses were wonderfully easy to use as was the trolley. the historic triangle tour was great as you can easily see everything from the trolley. Yes, it can get a little bumpy and the "shell" gravel is easy to get bogged down in, but a little push from someone is usually all it takes. I would not use a "transport" chair for this area, DS had one the first time we visited and it was very difficult to push over the gravel and cobblestones. If you are not from the area, you should know that it can get very hot and muggy in the summer, and shade is sometimes hard to find. we always bring a cooler along. Busch Gardens is great and worth the ticket IMHO. Have not been to Va. beach. We tend to sightsee in the cool mornings and evenings and relax in the heat of the day. I know there are evening tours you can purchase, but don't know how accessible they are. have a great trip.

I had a feeling a transport chair would be difficult to manage. I'll check with the visitor center on my options thay way.

I will be dealing with a transport chair with mom (just turned 90) and hubby is on a scooter. I will take your advice and do morning sightseeing there.

I have a question about Busch Gardens.

First - is it a one day park or do we really need two?

Second - how strict are they with the number of people that can go on the rides/wait in line with the wheelchair person? I hate to have to split up with my kids. I use a manual chair and DH is the "pusher", so he would have to stay with me. My kids are older so they can go on their own but that's no fun! lol

Thanks!

BG Williamsburg is REALLY hilly-you may want to rent a scooter.

When I was last there, we were in a group of 5- no issues on anything in terms of lines, but it was also a pretty slow day.

BG Williamsburg is REALLY hilly-you may want to rent a scooter.

When I was last there, we were in a group of 5- no issues on anything in terms of lines, but it was also a pretty slow day.

I thought about renting one at the park. It's a bit pricey though. An off site rental places there??

If you are a family that likes to see EVERYTHING, I would do 2 days at busch gardens. I seem to remember the GAC allowed up to 6 people, Mom got one too so we had enough for our whole party. I don't personally know of rental places nearby, but as this is a tourist area I am sure they exist. The scooter suggestion is a good one, DS can not control one himself so I am stuck pushing and it can get pretty exhausting by the end of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter