Off to Aulani, Firstimer to the Islands

Yes, thank you! I will be joining DH on a work trip in Oahu in Feb - I will want to do everything on this list!!!:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Congrats on the trip to the islands. My wife and I went in May and loved it. Looking forward to going back in the not too distant future. Unfortunately, Aulani was not open so we stayed at Hilton Hawaiian Village in Wakiki.

Here is some insight on some of the questions:

1) Germaine's Luau was very good. It was on the beach not too far from Disney. The atmosphere was great and the show was very good. We did see the one at Hilton and it was on the top deck of the parking lot. I did not see anything about Paradise Cove

2) Pearl Harbor is a must do. We did a tour with Roberts Hawaii and had the guarenteed tickets out to the Arizona with the tour. It was very busy both worth the experience. I personally could have stayed there for several hurs and thinking aobut driving myself.

3) One of the best days we did was rent a convertible and drive the entire island. It took about 6-7 hours with stops and to eat.

4) Definitely plan a day or so at the resort to relax. That is what we did not do and I wish we did.

5) Public transportation is good if you do not want to drive. Parking is a bear in Wakiki

Thanks and have fun

Ken

Susan, I hope you will post after your trip and share your experiences with us. I've just started looking into this for my family. We have never been to Hawaii and this looks like a beautiful resort. The other information people have posted is very helpful. Best wishes for your birthday adventure.

I guess not enough Dis'er have been to Aulani yet. did find more information on the Dis site.

But others have comments please share.

thank you

Please take a look at my trip report. I'll also be posting photos on Shuweb.com immediately after the Thanksgiving weekend.

As for ideas on Oahu, do take a look at Shuweb.com for ideas. We were in Oahu last year too.

If you are interested in seeing some photos from our trip to Aulani, please check out www.shuweb.com. I will still be adding some photos, but I hope that the narrative will give you some insight into the activities. You will also see that we also went to Oahu just a year ago, and those pictures are up on the site as well. I hope this will give you some more ideas for your trip.

More information, thanks all it's great. It's getting closer now.

Great the have and ihome clock in the villa, thats were we will be.

Hello Mylove4disney,

My family and I were in a 2BR dedicated OV at the Aulani Nov. 1-7th. I have to tell you that you and your party are going to have so much to do and have so much fun. They are many activities planned throughout out the day and night. As for the kitchen, I thought it was a little smaller than some other Dvc resorts, but it was fine for our family. The kitchen had a medium and tiny frypan and two smaller pots. We did not need to have larger cookware because our three young kids do not eat much. They do have a rice cooker, which we used often. The dishes and glasses were for a service of eight.

As for the luau/show, we ended up going to the Fia Fia show at the Marriott Beachclub (two resorts down from Aulani-it is really close by). We had a blast and it was very intimate (only about 300 people, instead of the 1000+ at most of the other luaus) and the food was good too. Since there are not too many people, everyone who wanted to participate in the free activites were able to. The best part of the show is the host, chief S is so funny and entertaining. I would definitely see the show again. The cost is $90 for adults and they only have the show on Tuesday nights. We booked through the Marriot Beachclub before our trip. There are no discounts for the show, but I heard if you go to their timeshare meeting, you can elect to go the the show for free.

You may want to go the the Dole Plantation, there are some fun things there to see. Also, try the shrimp trucks on your way to The North shore, and don't forget to try the shave ice at Matsumoto's in Haleiwa. Also, if you all have an extra free day, try the Polynesian Cultural Center. It is about an hour from Ko Olina, but it was a wonderful experience to learn about the culture and to participate in the activities they had.

As the welcome gift at the Aulani, the women receive a flower lei and the men receive a kukui nut necklace upon arrive at the resort front entrance. We also had flower leis' waiting for us at the airport. It was a very nice way to start our vacation. Have an awesome time!

I used our Oahu Revealed book throughout our trip. The maps are great and the book was full of activites for use to do.

There is a Target right next to Costco, about 5-10 minutes from the resort.

The Costco and Target are GREAT for souvenirs and food! We found Costco to have the best prices on stuff to bring home for our families, cheaper than the PX minimart at the military resort we stayed at.

A reasonably priced luau is at the Hale Koa hotel on Waikiki. It's a military hotel, but anyone can dine there.

Every Friday night, the Hilton Hawaiian Village hotel on Waikiki shoots off a fireworks show. It was so magical- leaning against a palm tree with my family, listening to the ocean, watching the fireworks. So great!

About 15 minutes north of Aulani is Pokai Bay- dolphin tours are run out of there. We stayed at another military cabin type place there and we could see the dolphins breaching from our cabins.

Near Matsumoto's shave ice in Halewei is this cool soap factory- I think it's called North Shore Soap Factory. It's in an old sugar cane factory- neat products, and then there was a coffee roasting place/art house next to it. We have fond memories hanging out there one afternoon.

DH and I are going for four nights in January- we got Aulani for 2 nights and will stay at Hale Koa for 2 nights. I have been to all 4 main islands, and I really like Oahu the best. However, I haven't been to Maui since I was 12, so I don't trust my judgement with that island. Oahu is so incredibly diverse- nightlife and great shopping in Honolulu, and great snorkeling/quiet places just 20-30 minutes away.

...A reasonably priced luau is at the Hale Koa hotel on Waikiki. It's a military hotel, but anyone can dine there...

We will be at Aulani in a few weeks, and I have been trying to find a luau that isn't ridiculously expensive and/or badly reviewed! The Hale Koa luau actually sounds like a possibility, but are you sure anyone can dine there?

I'm not even sure we need to go to a luau--it sounds like Disney has some type of similar entertainment at the resort.

We will be at Aulani in a few weeks, and I have been trying to find a luau that isn't ridiculously expensive and/or badly reviewed! The Hale Koa luau actually sounds like a possibility, but are you sure anyone can dine there?

I'm not even sure we need to go to a luau--it sounds like Disney has some type of similar entertainment at the resort.

I'm almost positive anyone can go. Check out the website at www.halekoa.com and look at the shows. You could always call the hotel and ask.

I'm pretty sure Hale Koa requires military sponsorship to eat there / attend their luau. At least, every time we've gone, we've had to have somebody with military connections take us to Sunday brunch or any of the restaurants.

There is a Target right next to Costco, about 5-10 minutes from the resort.

The Costco and Target are GREAT for souvenirs and food! We found Costco to have the best prices on stuff to bring home for our families, cheaper than the PX minimart at the military resort we stayed at.

A reasonably priced luau is at the Hale Koa hotel on Waikiki. It's a military hotel, but anyone can dine there.

Every Friday night, the Hilton Hawaiian Village hotel on Waikiki shoots off a fireworks show. It was so magical- leaning against a palm tree with my family, listening to the ocean, watching the fireworks. So great!

About 15 minutes north of Aulani is Pokai Bay- dolphin tours are run out of there. We stayed at another military cabin type place there and we could see the dolphins breaching from our cabins.

Near Matsumoto's shave ice in Halewei is this cool soap factory- I think it's called North Shore Soap Factory. It's in an old sugar cane factory- neat products, and then there was a coffee roasting place/art house next to it. We have fond memories hanging out there one afternoon.

DH and I are going for four nights in January- we got Aulani for 2 nights and will stay at Hale Koa for 2 nights. I have been to all 4 main islands, and I really like Oahu the best. However, I haven't been to Maui since I was 12, so I don't trust my judgement with that island. Oahu is so incredibly diverse- nightlife and great shopping in Honolulu, and great snorkeling/quiet places just 20-30 minutes away.

Thanks Alice! DH is going TDY to Hickam in March, and I'm going to join him there - so excited! These all sounds like great ideas, and I'm planning to rent a car so we can get around when we have free time. There are other wives going too, so we might entertain ourselves without the guys sometimes.

Would you suggest any fun "local" type places to shop, or just stick with Costco or Target?

Just backget from Aulani ( Dec 29) and weighing in about Paradise Cove luau. I felt we had to experience a luau at least once. But I thought it was a bit cheesy. We were packed in sitting on plastic chairs with 800 of our friends. As soon as we saw the fire dancing, we got out of there. The menu was not impressive, and buffet lines long. I did hear from someone who lives on Oahu said Fia Fia is better. That being said, we went to Aulani's Starlit Hui a few days later, and found it to be wonderful. Disney is known for its showmanship and this is no exception. It is free twice a week. There is no food and you are welcome to sit on woven grass mats. The music is moving and the dances are beautiful. My husband and Iasked each other why we spent money on a luau. At least it convinced me as far as shows, Disney does it best!:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter