Off-site Guests Meeting Us for Dinner: Should we go to CityWalk, or off-site?

weather_lady

Mouseketeer
We are semi-annual Universal visitors, but we always stay onsite and have never had a rental car, so the public-facing side of CityWalk and the parking situation are entirely unknown to us.

Some relatives (a couple in their 70s) will be driving up from Tampa to grab dinner with us (DH and me, and our teen son and daughter) during our upcoming Universal visit over February break. Obviously, meeting them in CityWalk or even at one of the hotels would be more convenient for my family than taking a rideshare offsite to meet them someplace, but I don't want to create a giant hassle for my relatives either. I'd love to know your thoughts on the following questions:

1 - Should we plan to eat at CityWalk, a resort hotel (we'll be staying at Hard Rock), or offsite? I know that CityWalk parking is free after 6pm, but is it a time-consuming task to find an open spot, and get through security? (This would be on Tuesday, 2/22 -- President's Day week). My relatives don't have any mobility issues and are very sharp, but I don't think they've been to Universal before, so it would be new to them, and I don't want their evening to start out with any frustrations.

2 - Either way, do you have any restaurant recommendations? If we want to eat at CityWalk, our options are already a bit limited, as places like Toothsome are already booked up. I was thinking maybe NBC Grill as it has a diverse menu... offsite, I'm not sure what's decent, but we'd be looking for something within a 10-minute drive or so from Universal that is appealing to different age groups, and not too upscale (as my family won't have anything nicer than typical park-wear).

Your thoughts and recommendations are much appreciated!

For people that age that are unfamiliar with Universal, it would be much easier to meet at one of the resorts than to try to meet at CityWalk. If it's in the budget, I'd highly recommend the Palm at the Hard Rock, but it is expensive. If you are looking for a less expensive option, I would recommend Jake's at Royal Pacific.

For people that age that are unfamiliar with Universal, it would be much easier to meet at one of the resorts than to try to meet at CityWalk. If it's in the budget, I'd highly recommend the Palm at the Hard Rock, but it is expensive. If you are looking for a less expensive option, I would recommend Jake's at Royal Pacific.

Thank you! We've never dined at The Palm. The expense is not an issue, as we haven't seen these particular relatives in years, and are happy to splurge on them, especially as they're driving some distance just to see us. I'll have to double-check the dress code to make sure we pack appropriately, if we opt to go in that direction. :)

I would definitely opt for one of the hotel restaurants, whether that's one of the options at Hard Rock, Portofino (we really enjoyed BiCE), or any of the others. Not having to walk through the CityWalk/park crowds would make a huge difference, especially with your guests being older.

Can I give you some advice on their parking? If you choose a hotel to meet and have dinner, make sure that they get the parking ticket validated by the restaurant, so they won't get charged. The parking garage at Citywalk does allow Floridian free in after a certain time but with the hotel best to get their parking ticket validated or they will be charged

Hotels will be far quieter but just to make you aware of the parking situation

Can I give you some advice on their parking? If you choose a hotel to meet and have dinner, make sure that they get the parking ticket validated by the restaurant, so they won't get charged. The parking garage at Citywalk does allow Floridian free in after a certain time but with the hotel best to get their parking ticket validated or they will be charged

Hotels will be far quieter but just to make you aware of the parking situation

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

Hope you don't mind a semi-hijack. I have almost the exact same situation next week-mom & her husband driving from Marathon to meet us. It's me, husband, our 18 yo nephew, & our 3 yo daughter also staying at HRH. I'm thinking The Palm may not be the best choice w/the wide age group? Although, my husband would probably prefer this choice!
The Kitchen menu looks small-ish? Jake's looks promising. Or maybe Mama Della's?
ETA: Do all the table-service restaurants at the hotels validate parking?

Last edited:

Hope you don't mind a semi-hijack. I have almost the exact same situation next week-mom & her husband driving from Marathon to meet us. It's me, husband, our 18 yo nephew, & our 3 yo daughter also staying at HRH. I'm thinking The Palm may not be the best choice w/the wide age group? Although, my husband would probably prefer this choice!
The Kitchen menu looks small-ish? Jake's looks promising. Or maybe Mama Della's?
Mama Della's would probably be a very good choice for that age range.
Yes, all of the hotel table service restaurants validate parking.

Thank you! We've never dined at The Palm. The expense is not an issue, as we haven't seen these particular relatives in years, and are happy to splurge on them, especially as they're driving some distance just to see us. I'll have to double-check the dress code to make sure we pack appropriately, if we opt to go in that direction. :)

You do not have to get super dressed up to eat at the Palm at the Hard Rock Hotel. For a woman, I would say a skirt/slacks and a blouse or a polo shirt, and for men, slacks and polo shirt would do it. For footwear, something nicer/more dressed up than sneakers or flip-flops.

@PoohNFriends-I would not do the Palm with a three year old.

Dress code isnt really an issue there. We have eaten there many times in our park gear. If we have the opportunity, we would shower/change into something a little nicer, like a golf shirt for me. Most people in there lean towards the nicer end (golf shirt and nice shorts or dress pants for men), but there will always be some people in there straight from the parks with a t-shirt and running shorts.

I like Jake's but the last time is was just okay. The Kitchen was really good both for breakfast and dinner.

Trattoria del Porto also had a good dinner. We were able to eat outside and enjoy the Opera singer

The bay area at PBH is fantastic at night, especially with the opera singer. Like the Palms, I'm not sure Bice is a good place for a 3 yo, but the others would be good choices. You could even take the boat over to CityWalk if they haven't seen it before. The view on the boat ride back to PBH at night is one of my favorite parts of our trips to UO; it is stunning...

We’ve eaten at both Jakes and Mama Dellas and both are nice. Jake’s has a bar so if you’re sitting close to it, it might be a little noisier but the main dining area is very nice. If you don’t have a strong preference between the 2 based on the menu, I’d go with Mama Dellas for the general ambience in the area. The restaurant itself is casual but it’s on the harbor which is very nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter