Odd "Footloose" question

elgerber

DIS Veteran
Just watched "Footloose" again for about the 100th time in the 19 years since it came out. I noticed something I never noticed before on this viewing. At the prom at the end, Rusty (Sarah Jessica Parker) shows up with Willard, Willard fights then they all head into the dance. Once inside, you never see Sarah Jessica Parker at all in the entire Prom dance sequence, not even for a second. Where the heck is she? Has anyone else noticed this, and does anyone know why she isn't there???

Erika

Maybe she was just embarassed to be with such a single minded doofus!

Seriously, I noticed that as well. I could think perhaps, some practical suggestions why...

SJP did not like any of the dance sequences at the end, and did not want to participate..

SJP had other contractual obligations (ie, another movie, TV, etc...) and could not complete the shooting.

Hey, she was at a high school dance. She was probably underneath the gym bleachers with a boy she didn't go to the dance with.

Karen

It's been so long since I saw Footloose, I didn't even remember or notice that Sarah Jessica Parker was in it!;)

My daughter was watching this, this weeknd!! I loved that movie!!!

I came in during the sequence where they are going over the state line to dance and my daughter said She (Rusty) is SO young.

Oh yeah..I said.. who is she?

My daughter looks at me like I'm from Mars.. thats Sarah Jessica Parker! OMG! Yes it was and all these years I have NEVER known that..maybe I AM from Mars!!!

In response to your question... my guess is probably when they edited the dance sequence she didn't end up in any footage. I never noticed that even though I have seen the movie 50 times.
Course when you think about it she was a pretty major character, so who knows..maybe she wasn't available when they shot the scene.

I see I am not the only fan of the movie LOL. The reason I thougth it was so odd, was that Willard learned to dance to impress Rusty. He wouldn't dance with her when they crossed the state line to dance, so when he is showing off and dancing solo at the prom while everyone cheers him on, I thought she would be the one they would be showing cheering him on. Very odd LOL. I thought maybe she got sick or hurt or something when they were filming that scene? Who knows, probably never know, just something I thought was odd.

Erika

I found a website http://www.fast-rewind.com/ that has all kinds of info on Footloose. (If the link takes you to their main page just find footloose and click....)

Seems they reshot that last dance scene entirely after they finished the movie so maybe SJP couldn't get back to film it or they just didn't edit her in.

Interesting stuff there...including that Lori Singer was 27! This was one of those movies that the actors were in their late 20's but you would never know it.. not like Grease where you knew John Travolta wasn't 17!

she is in there, she is standing with everyone watching willard and Ren dance, she is standing right behind willard. She is in a few more shots you just have to have a quick eye;)

she is also one of the girls dancing behind Ren at the very end, she has a dark dress on with her hair up on the side.

Originally posted by stormi65
It's been so long since I saw Footloose, I didn't even remember or notice that Sarah Jessica Parker was in it!;)

Same here. :D

When we watched it on Saturday night, there were two girls dancing behind Ren at the end, Lori Singer and a larger blonde haired girl. It makes sense that she couldn't be there when the scene was re-shot!! That sight makes it seem like there may be two different cuts of the movie in circulation with slightly different edits.

Erika

I really think I've seen her in the end of the movie. I'm wondering if some of the scenes of her are edited out "for time" when it is on comercial TV.

I have pics that I was trying to upload. She is definitely in the end of the movie. In several shots

Just watched "Footloose" again for about the 100th time in the 19 years since it came out. I noticed something I never noticed before on this viewing. At the prom at the end, Rusty (Sarah Jessica Parker) shows up with Willard, Willard fights then they all head into the dance. Once inside, you never see Sarah Jessica Parker at all in the entire Prom dance sequence, not even for a second. Where the heck is she? Has anyone else noticed this, and does anyone know why she isn't there???

Erika

I think she ran off with Big!!!:banana::banana:

I have pics that I was trying to upload. She is definitely in the end of the movie. In several shots

Welcome to the DIS ! You cannot post pics or send pm's till you have at least 10 posts if I remember correctly. Just find it strange that the first post was about a thread that is already 14 years old!

I never saw the movie but I LOVE the soundtrack.

In 1984 I was doing my own dancing in the clubs of Boston. Good times! And that HiNRG sound was fabulous!

I didn't notice that when I saw the movie when I was a kid. I thought that movie was great, awesome soundtrack too. I am also a big SATC fan, so I re-watched it when I was older because I knew SJP was in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter