October 2021 trip with newbies

kikismom

DIS Veteran
I've been thinking about these questions from weeks, I know there really are no good answers but I need some sort of advice. I'm anxious over a trip we have planned.

As of now we have a timeshare booked from October 2 - 6, Saturday to Wednesday. It will be my husband, daughter and myself along with out friends who have two daughters. They've graciously invited us to go stay at their timeshare. My husband is a once every two to three year DLR person and my daughter and I are an at least every year duo. Out of our friends only the mom has been before and it was long ago.

We would like to go to a Halloween party if they are going but don't have high hopes. I feel like 3 1/2 days is not enough to not feel rushed but the husband of our friends doesn't want to go longer. If park hopping is a thing of the past I really feel like 3 1/2 days isn't enough. We love both parks and go back and forth throughout the day.

I've offered to pay for the extra night at the condo but I'm not sure it's going to fly. Who has taken new people to the parks? How many days did you go? I'm thinking if they really want to go home we may just stay another day or two ourselves.

Anyone else anxious about Halloween parties this year?

What a fun vacation you have planned. :)

I think you should plan the vacation that you want to do and let the other family know that you are going to stay "x" number of days. If they offered to let you stay at their timeshare for 3-4 nights, then make arrangements at another lodging for the other nights instead of prolonging your stay at their timeshare. They may want those nights for another stay someplace else. If you let them know your intentions now everyone can plan accordingly and there won't be surprises. For the time with them you can do your group activities, and then do those special things you and your daughter like to do afterwards. I hope that you can do something like this to destress your vacation.

We visited DLR for the first time in May 2019. We did 3.5 days, with park hopping, and frankly found it to be more than enough time. We did purchase Max Pass each day, including the half day, and were able to do everything we wanted and some things multiple times. I think whether its enough time will depend on park hours, the status of park hopping, and the status of fast/max pass. If we did not have max pass and/or park hours were shorter, it would have been barely enough time.

We visited DLR for the first time in May 2019. We did 3.5 days, with park hopping, and frankly found it to be more than enough time. We did purchase Max Pass each day, including the half day, and were able to do everything we wanted and some things multiple times. I think whether its enough time will depend on park hours, the status of park hopping, and the status of fast/max pass. If we did not have max pass and/or park hours were shorter, it would have been barely enough time.

Totally agree with the MaxPass. I love using that and can do so much more in a day with it. It would be awesome if they have that up and running when the parks reopen. I told my husband that there probably won't be park hopping for the trip and he is bummed. We go back and forth kind of a lot.

Totally agree with the MaxPass. I love using that and can do so much more in a day with it. It would be awesome if they have that up and running when the parks reopen. I told my husband that there probably won't be park hopping for the trip and he is bummed. We go back and forth kind of a lot.
Have there been indications park hopping won't be available upon initial reopening? Its such a big part of the experience at DLR, and logistically easier than it is at WDW. I would guess that was part of the reason it wasn't initially offered when WDW re-opened, since transportation was limited. Whenever DLR gets the green light to reopen, there's going to be so much money to recoup, I would imagine they'd want to permit park hopping as soon as possible.

It all depends on the people. My brother and his family went once for 3 days and thought it was plenty. We go for 5 park days and always feel like we never got enough done lol!!!

Have there been indications park hopping won't be available upon initial reopening? Its such a big part of the experience at DLR, and logistically easier than it is at WDW. I would guess that was part of the reason it wasn't initially offered when WDW re-opened, since transportation was limited. Whenever DLR gets the green light to reopen, there's going to be so much money to recoup, I would imagine they'd want to permit park hopping as soon as possible.

Just the bits and pieces I can find. I hope park hopping is available! We always buy those tickets. It's so strange though so many of our fellow Disney friends don't like hopping back and forth and feel like it wastes time. I feel the opposite but to each their own. I think it will be a miracle if we can even pull this trip off. So many things have to line up to make it work. I'm worried about getting tickets, getting park reservations, etc.

ETA: Trip check ins look here: ***Official DLR October 2021 Check-in Thread***

Is anyone interested in an official October DLR trip thread? I've never done one before but read a lot of the official threads so I feel like I can handle it. It's so far away but we've got our hotel booked and are booking flights as soon as our Alaska Air gift card gets here in the mail.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no plans to go in October and still would love to see your thread. I miss having some reading when I come to the boards, something looking toward the future.

It's been so long, I was just trying to remember the name of the nice restaurant in DCA and literally can't remember. To be fair, I have never eaten there but still, how can I not remember?

On a total side note our extremely picky 8 yo tried steak last night and loved it. We've been wanting to take her to BB but knew she wouldn't eat anything. Now we can finally take her. Woohoo! Baby steps. Your BB and CC comment reminded me.

Is anyone interested in an official October DLR trip thread? I've never done one before but read a lot of the official threads so I feel like I can handle it. It's so far away but we've got our hotel booked and are booking flights as soon as our Alaska Air gift card gets here in the mail.
Yes! We are planning to go in October! Honestly, I mught wear a Halloween costume every single day of October! We had to cancel our 10 yr. Anniversary last year. So, lucky #11! Yes. Lol I'm so excited!

Yes! We are planning to go in October! Honestly, I mught wear a Halloween costume every single day of October! We had to cancel our 10 yr. Anniversary last year. So, lucky #11! Yes. Lol I'm so excited!

Well now I'm wondering if I should start a new one or just go from here.

We are booked at Club Wyndham Dolphins Cove from October 2 - 7. Super excited because we are going with our really good friends and their kids. It will be the husband and kids first trip, the mom has been before but not for a very long time. My daughter and I go a lot but my husband usually skips our trips, he will be joining us on this one.

Well now I'm wondering if I should start a new one or just go from here.

We are booked at Club Wyndham Dolphins Cove from October 2 - 7. Super excited because we are going with our really good friends and their kids. It will be the husband and kids first trip, the mom has been before but not for a very long time. My daughter and I go a lot but my husband usually skips our trips, he will be joining us on this one.
How fun! Well, if you start a new tgread, I'll definitely follow. We planned on staying at the Grand California hotel. And doing the Halloween party. So. We're just playing the waiting game for when we can book our room again.

Maybe start a new thread so you can use the OP to add new links and announcements as they come up?

I dunno, I bet it will be a popular thread! I am so restless. I wish you the best trip and I really think October is *safe* to count on! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter