October 2020 WISH Challenge - A Bunch of Hocus Pocus

DD is doing great. Is has been off all meds except for 1 once a day she is taking a dose of motrin. I did make her get out for a walk yesterday. She told me in the morning that she hasn't been using her foot because it is faster with the crutches and not putting her foot down. One of the big things with this surgery is you need to move it or what they took out can grow back. I didn't push her while walking but that she had to use we foot. If she felt like it was too much after getting part away around the block we would call DH to come pick us up. We went slow but she made it around the whole block. I only asked her to go once as I didn't want to fully push her. She, on her own, decided to go for 2 more walks. These walks were awesome. She started to walk with out the crutches. We went for 2 walks today and now she isn't even using the crutches in the house. THe only thing is she won't go on the tile in the kitchen. She says the tile hurts her foot.

So Saturday I went for about an hour walk with DH in the morning and then 3 walks round the block with DD. Each being about 15 minutes. Today, I went for a walk with DH in the morning for about an hour and then 2 walks with DD around the block. I need to keep this up and end the month on a strong note. I do need to still work on my eating though.

DD is doing great. Is has been off all meds except for 1 once a day she is taking a dose of motrin. I did make her get out for a walk yesterday. She told me in the morning that she hasn't been using her foot because it is faster with the crutches and not putting her foot down. One of the big things with this surgery is you need to move it or what they took out can grow back. I didn't push her while walking but that she had to use we foot. If she felt like it was too much after getting part away around the block we would call DH to come pick us up. We went slow but she made it around the whole block. I only asked her to go once as I didn't want to fully push her. She, on her own, decided to go for 2 more walks. These walks were awesome. She started to walk with out the crutches. We went for 2 walks today and now she isn't even using the crutches in the house. THe only thing is she won't go on the tile in the kitchen. She says the tile hurts her foot.

So Saturday I went for about an hour walk with DH in the morning and then 3 walks round the block with DD. Each being about 15 minutes. Today, I went for a walk with DH in the morning for about an hour and then 2 walks with DD around the block. I need to keep this up and end the month on a strong note. I do need to still work on my eating though.
That’s great for both of you!

My heart is breaking for some good friends tonight that we know through our homeschooling community and 4-H community. They had a nephew of the adults cousin of the kids go missing in the mountains outside of a town about 2 hours away from where I live on Friday night seperated from his friend. The friend ended up falling down a ravine in the night while they were seperated but managed to survive the night on Friday hiking out to a highway early Saturday morning to flag down a hunter on a logging road who took the friend to a place of safety and being able to contact the authorities.
Several agencies searched late into the evening yesterday until darkness and conditions made it unsafe for them to continue. The search resumed this morning including air support from a nearby airforce base though conditions made flying for long periods of time next to impossible. The uncle headed up this morning to help with the search of his nephew.
They found him this evening but unfortunantly it was too late he had passed away of exposure at 20 years old. Due to loosing light they are unable to get his body off the mountain tonight but are guarding it through the night with removal planned for tomorrow once there is enough light to safely do so.

My heart is breaking for some good friends tonight that we know through our homeschooling community and 4-H community. They had a nephew of the adults cousin of the kids go missing in the mountains outside of a town about 2 hours away from where I live on Friday night seperated from his friend. The friend ended up falling down a ravine in the night while they were seperated but managed to survive the night on Friday hiking out to a highway early Saturday morning to flag down a hunter on a logging road who took the friend to a place of safety and being able to contact the authorities.
Several agencies searched late into the evening yesterday until darkness and conditions made it unsafe for them to continue. The search resumed this morning including air support from a nearby airforce base though conditions made flying for long periods of time next to impossible. The uncle headed up this morning to help with the search of his nephew.
They found him this evening but unfortunantly it was too late he had passed away of exposure at 20 years old. Due to loosing light they are unable to get his body off the mountain tonight but are guarding it through the night with removal planned for tomorrow once there is enough light to safely do so.
:grouphug: So sorry! How tragic! 🙏 Prayers for the family & friends!

@piglet1979 great news about your daughters foot!

@sjrec how nice that you get to spend this special time with your grandson! Your daughter is fortunate to have you to help. I know that has been a tricky piece for virtual learning for working parents! Ok

@Oneanne sorry I missed yesterday’s bingo game! I’m going to save it and try to complete one thing a day throughout the week to try and make this week better than last!

Right now survival is my goal for the week. I have dinners, breakfast & lunch prepped, workouts planned to start each day, and my gallon water bottle to push me to drink more water. I have a late night on Thursday for our virtual Back to School Night. But teachers have to be at school for the evening. Oh and there’s Halloween this week, so the kids energy will be rising throughout the week. So I need to make sure I get to bed early!

I am so sorry. This is horrible news. Prayers to the family and friends.

I got up with the intention of following my usual morning routine. But before I made it to the basement for my workout, my daughter came down saying her throat hurt. She’s also been congested (we assumed from allergies). But that made 2 symptoms which meant no school and all of us in quarantine until she’s tested and results come back negative (hopefully). So morning routine changed to frantically contacting contacting all necessary school personnel and typing up sub plans. Then calling her doctors office to get a COVID test ordered and getting her in for the test. Hoping for quick negative results.🤞

View attachment 534713
I got up with the intention of following my usual morning routine. But before I made it to the basement for my workout, my daughter came down saying her throat hurt. She’s also been congested (we assumed from allergies). But that made 2 symptoms which meant no school and all of us in quarantine until she’s tested and results come back negative (hopefully). So morning routine changed to frantically contacting contacting all necessary school personnel and typing up sub plans. Then calling her doctors office to get a COVID test ordered and getting her in for the test. Hoping for quick negative results.🤞
Hope you get answers quickly! Fall is a terrible time for allergies, so hoping that’s all she’s dealing with.

I hope you get the test back quickly and that it is negative. My mom and I (for DD's test) were able to get the test results either that night or the next morning on the portal that the hospital/drs. use here before we heard from the dr. If you have something like that keep an eye on it for the results.

View attachment 534713
Praying for you and your family that all goes well.

With Halloween coming up Saturday, do you have a strategy for all the candy coming into your house? Do you have to buy candy for trick or treaters or have kids that will bring bags of candy home? My daughter was not a big candy lover so I spent too many years eating her leftovers.

Once I committed to WW I finally made a plan and stuck to it. I don't buy candy until the day before Halloween and I buy candy I don’t like-Kit Kats or Twix because I can resist those! Any leftovers used to go to the faculty room, but since I’m retired they go in a jar in my husband’s office. Instead of candy my grandson gets a Halloween lottery card.

What are your coping strategies?

Number 1, we aren't giving out candy this year. We are that house that gets hundreds of kids every year. We decorate inside and outside to the nines. We will have the house undecorated on the outside and dark for the first time ever. Not having bags and bags of candy around the house to pick at the weeks leading up to Halloween has been helpful.

Number 2, we are celebrating at home just us. We decorated in the beginning of October, and have enjoyed how festive it looks inside. We bought our favorite candy for ourselves. I have a package of 3 Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and a small bag of Twizzlers for myself. Not gonna lie, the Twizzlers are gone lol. We will be making sugar cookies on Saturday and decorating them. We also plan on Halloween themed cocktails. Halloween movies will be the entertainment. It will be nice to not have to jump up to answer the door every 10 seconds.

Number 3. No Halloween party at school this year. No Halloween parade. No Halloween cupcakes and candy in my classroom. Just stories, modified costumes, and a Halloween craft.

So, yes, I will be enjoying some sweets on Saturday, but not to the obnoxious degree I normally do.

What are your coping strategies?

Hide the candy from DH until Halloween! :rotfl:

I'm pretty good about having the mini candy bars in the house, but only eating one when I really want it. - I store them far out of the way, so I can't just grab them because they're handy.

If there are too many leftovers, I'll freeze some (especially Reese's Cups) or designate them for a later baking recipe. (Kit Kat banana bread was actually pretty good!)

Number 1, we aren't giving out candy this year. We are that house that gets hundreds of kids every year. We decorate inside and outside to the nines. We will have the house undecorated on the outside and dark for the first time ever. Not having bags and bags of candy around the house to pick at the weeks leading up to Halloween has been helpful.

Number 2, we are celebrating at home just us. We decorated in the beginning of October, and have enjoyed how festive it looks inside. We bought our favorite candy for ourselves. I have a package of 3 Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and a small bag of Twizzlers for myself. Not gonna lie, the Twizzlers are gone lol. We will be making sugar cookies on Saturday and decorating them. We also plan on Halloween themed cocktails. Halloween movies will be the entertainment. It will be nice to not have to jump up to answer the door every 10 seconds.

Number 3. No Halloween party at school this year. No Halloween parade. No Halloween cupcakes and candy in my classroom. Just stories, modified costumes, and a Halloween craft.

So, yes, I will be enjoying some sweets on Saturday, but not to the obnoxious degree I normally do.
Well that sounds like fun! Do you have any pictures from past years of your house? I would love to see the decorations!

Hide the candy from DH until Halloween! :rotfl:

I'm pretty good about having the mini candy bars in the house, but only eating one when I really want it. - I store them far out of the way, so I can't just grab them because they're handy.

If there are too many leftovers, I'll freeze some (especially Reese's Cups) or designate them for a later baking recipe. (Kit Kat banana bread was actually pretty good!)
I always have chocolate in the freezer-I’m saving a Reese’s pumpkin for Saturday. :)

We will not be handing out candy and the twins are not going trick or treating. There is plenty of junk food here from all the treats/packages Twin2 got when he broke his leg. They're crushed, but we've promised them a fun day and our church will do a drive thru trick or treat event. We'll make/decorate sugar cookies and I'll try not to eat too many before putting them in the freezer. I think actually there is Halloween candy from last year in our freezer!

We will be passing out candy this year. Last year was the first year in a long time that we passed out candy. We just don't get a lot so in the past DH and my dad (his birthday) would go trick or treating with the kids. I put bags together and I will but a sticker on them with the date it was packaged. We will have a table by the side walk so we can stay social distant. The kids will not be trick or treating this year. It was not a big deal as they are getting to that age of not going anymore. Last year DS had 5 friends over. I will miss this.

In the past I would take all the candy that kids didn't like and took them to work I would also take any left over Easter candy that they had. This way it was gone before I really got to eat any of it. Depending on how much candy we have left I will do the same with the left over candy.

I did take the kids to my favorite chocolate factory to pick out candy as a replacement for not going out this year. It might have been an excuse for me to get some too. DD and I finished ours already but DS is being so good with his. He is only eating like 2 chocolate covered pretzels a day. I don't know where he gets this control from because it sure was not me.

Earlier in October I did take baskets of candy to friends and family. This weekend we will be taking beer (the DH made), cupcakes and pumpkin cookies to family. Just trying to keep people happy and not have all the stuff in my house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!