Oceaneer Lab for a 12 year old on the Dream

tritter72

Earning My Ears
My family will be going on its first Disney Cruise in August--4-night Bahamian. Tonight, I was able sign up for excursions and dining, as well as complete on-line check-in...no problems at all thanks to the great tips and advice I've found here!

The only area where I ran into trouble was registering my kids for the kids' clubs. I have two boys, ages 8 and 12. They would both like to attend the Oceaneer Lab; the 12 year old is not particularly mature for his age and still enjoys hanging around with the 8 year old. When I went to register them, I was able to do so only for the 8 year old. The 12 year old's name doesn't show up, and the pop-up box says the club is for children ages 3-10. The DCL website, however, lists the Oceaneer Lab on the Dream as being for ages 3-12. So, what gives? Is the registration form right, or is the website right? Does anyone have experience with an 11 or 12 year old attending the Lab on the Dream? Thanks in advance for any information!

You will not be able to register him online and will need to do it in the terminal or once on board. My DD will be 12 for our April cruise and wants to go to the lab because she loves it and it is her last chance before she ages out.

You can only register them online for kids up to age 10, but the 11-12 yr olds will be allowed at the Club/Lab as well. You'll just need to register them in person at the terminal or onboard during Open House. Because 11-12 are also allowed at Edge, which doesn't require registration, the online system defaults to that. Easy to change once you are there.

Enjoy your cruise!

Which cruise are you going on? I'm also a first tim cruiser going in August and my boys are the same ages. I was wondering the same exact thing.

May from my iPhone

Be prepared to be a bit emphatic about registering your 12 year old in the Lab. Last year I tried to register my 11 year old DD in the lab at the terminal and the CM "suggested" I allow her to try Edge before registering her. I went along with it although my DD clearly wanted to be in the Lab. Later that evening, we went to the Lab to register her, and it was again "suggested" she try Edge's meet and greet before coming to the Lab. At that point my DD (who is tall for her age) asked the CM, "Why doesn't anyone want me in the Lab?" The CM did feel bad and asked her to come in. She politely declined because she felt unwanted. I wish I had been a bit more forceful in the terminal and insisted on registering her then so we could have avoided the other "rejection". In the end it worked out, she did go to Edge and met 2 sweet 11 year old girls which she hung out with the rest of the cruise.

Be prepared to be a bit emphatic about registering your 12 year old in the Lab.

Thanks for the tip--I'll keep that in mind! My 12 year old is actually small for his age...only 4 inches taller than his 4 years younger brother. Maybe that will help. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter