NYC hotel recommendations

aristocatz

DIS Veteran
Can someone recommend a hotel in NYC?

We don't know our way around well at all, so please forgive me if I am all over the map-we are still brainstorming what we want to do on our mini vacation..

We are looking into the following criteria:

-Nice hotel with comfy beds in a safe area that is walking distance to some of the action, yet not too noisy. Hopefully a price of less than $300 per night. We are not planning to go during Christmas or New Years.

-A view of something from our room, maybe the Statue of Liberty or the Brooklyn Bridge-just something fun to look at.

-We would like to hit up a good NYC deli, good pizza, go to the Museum of Natural History, Ellis Island, WTC memorial, FAO Shwartz....or maybe catch a matinee Broadway show

Anyone know any hotels that might fit or somewhat fit this wishlist??

Check travelzoo.com. They often have deals for large cities. You can also check anything you find on trip advisor.

The Marriott Marquis right in Times Square is nice- you can get a room overlooking Times Square!

The Millennium Hilton in Lower Manhattan across from the World Trade Center Memorial often has excellent weekend rates. I also recommend perusing Hotwire.

I like the Hilton Midtown. If you're not going at a peak time, the prices aren't bad and the rooms are nice. It's in a great location within walking distance to Central Park, 5th avenue, Rockefeller Center, Broadway, Times Square, lots of food options and is close to the subway.

I'll share a little tip for budget travellers.... think about the nightly cost, the room size, private bathrooms, and how much would it cost to take your luggage to/from Manhatten.

When I go back to NYC in the future.... I'll be looking for a suburb hotel (with airport transfers?) that has good access to the subway (to avoid the Manhatten traffic congestion).

My last trip had me staying at the Pan American. It's closed now, but it offered airport transfers (free pickup, but $10 to JFK), 30 minutes subway ride for $2 to Time Square, and decent sized rooms with private bathrooms for $130 a night. The amount of money I was saving each night was great for attractions and restaurants. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3eWx1x3hfU

NYC has many hotels to choose from and look forward to reading others suggestions. Can anyone suggest a good alternative to the Pan American?

I really liked The Bentley Hotel... it's on the Upper East Side, so a very safe area and quiet. You can walk to Central Park/5th Ave. and possibly Times Square, or take a quick cab ride. It overlooks the East River and the Queensboro Bridge.

Just an FYI - sites like Priceline, Expedia, etc, get a grouping of rooms. The hotels that are booked may not have been released yet to the site you are looking at and or they get a small amount each month. SO keep looking.

I have stayed at the Marriott Marquise(sp) and The Waldorf Astoria. Both had their good and bad features. December is an expensive month to stay in NYC.

We also have stayed at Bed and Breakfasts. I feel this is a better option for December and since you are booking now you may be able to secure a better rate. Just make sure that you know the neighborhoods is you do this.

OP, I'm planning a little mini getaway in November. We'll be taking the train in on Friday morning, staying Friday and Saturday night and coming home Sunday evening. Much of what you have on your list are things I'm considering as well.

I have been to Times Square. I can do without it, but DH(A NEW YORKER) has never been there:faint:. I have also been to the 9/11 Memorial(pre-museum). I'm not opposed to doing that again, but it really has a lasting effect on me and I don't know that I want to deal with those feelings(I'm sorry if that sounds heartless:worried:).

The museums are definitely on my list and maybe taking the Staten Island ferry to see the Statue of Liberty since it's free.:scratchin

I will be following along to get some ideas myself as well.:goodvibes

The Marriott Marquis right in Times Square is nice- you can get a room overlooking Times Square!

Is the noise level bad?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was looking at the hotel next to Grand Central(the name escapes me now). They had good prices and decent views.

The Marriott Marquis and The Hilton Garden Inn Times Square Central (the one located at 136 West 42nd Street)

We've stayed at both and have enjoyed both. The Marriott Marquis' price is usually $300 and up. Same with pretty much most of the hotels in the Times Square area.

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn back in September only to find out that it had just opened the week prior. It was really nice. My personal favorite though, is the Marquis.

Be sure to check out Hotels.com. DH has gotten some pretty good deals from there. At the Hilton Garden Inn, we got it for $185 per night for the weekend. We also got about $100 off our one night stay at the Marquis a few days before NYE.

I have been to Times Square. I can do without it, but DH(A NEW YORKER) has never been there:faint:.

I live on Long Island and have been to the City many times since I was a kid. My father worked for the Long Island Railroad so we would always go in during the holidays. In all of those years, I have NEVER been to the Statue of Liberty. DH has, but not me. Even when DH and I started going in on our own when we were dating as teenagers. The closest I ever came to it was on the Circle Line when DH and I spent our 10th anniversary in the City for the weekend.

I live on Long Island and have been to the City many times since I was a kid. My father worked for the Long Island Railroad so we would always go in during the holidays. In all of those years, I have NEVER been to the Statue of Liberty. DH has, but not me. Even when DH and I started going in on our own when we were dating as teenagers. The closest I ever came to it was on the Circle Line when DH and I spent our 10th anniversary in the City for the weekend.

Yeah! As someone not from NY(but obsessed with plans to move there after H.S. until I searched apartments:lmao:) I didn't get it! He's only been down there to go to Yankees games! I thought he is weird. Apparently not.;) Well...

We loved the Hotel Edison. It's right near Times Square and in the middle of all the Broadway theatres. It also had the comfiest beds I've ever slept in! Our room didn't have a view, but I think you could get a view from a more expensive room.

We didn't go to a deli, but they're everywhere. We did get excellent pizza from Carve on the corner of W47th and 8th (the hotel is on 47th between 7th and 8th). The hotel actually had a weird special where it was cheaper to get pizza vouchers with your room booking (either 1 whole cheese pizza or 3 slices of any pizza per night).

All of the places on your list are accessible, either on foot, by subway or by cab (which were very cheap and easy in NYC!).

The jewel at the rock. Small boutique hotel. Very clean. Right near Rockefeller center.

Also, the best view of the Statue of Liberty is from the Staten Island ferry and it's free.

Another New Yorker who hasn't been to Statue of Liberty.

We just got home yesterday from NYC, we were there for our anniversary.
We stayed for the first time at The Bryant Park Hotel. It was very nice we had a junior suite with a Bryant Park view for $294 a night. Huge room with a king bed and a sitting area with a couch.
Very friendly staff, close to the theater area.

We saw Aladdin which was wonderful. Cabaret was awesome also.
Dinner at Keen's Steakhouse and Scott Conant's Scarpetta was delicious.
We went to this little place called Parm, they had some of the best chicken parm we have ever had. It was located on Mulberry street in Little Italy.
Pizza places are everywhere, but our favorite is Lombardi's in Little Italy or Grimaldi's in Brooklyn, just over the Brooklyn Bridge (which is great to walkover to get to Grimaldi's.)

Have a wonderful time, NYC is one of our favorite destinations.

I can very highly recommend the Intercontinental, which is located Just a couple blocks off Times Square. Loved the almost floor to ceiling windows that you can actually open! :thumbsup2

Yes, the rooms, like ALL rooms in this area, can be pricey.
Perhaps one can still do what we did, and sign up for the Intercontinental program, (was $200.00) and get a free night. A room here for $200.00 is actually a good price.

We visited the Marquis, enjoyed really delicious drinks at their roof-top bar... But, as far as the hustle and bustle and noise... OMG!!! Even their entry and lobby is a part of the concrete-jungle.

Our longest taxi ride from this area was down to the Statue of Liberty, and of course the 9-11 site is right there. I can recommend getting up early, taking the first ferry over to the Statue of Liberty (wow! amazing to be there in the morning before the crowds) Then see the site of 9-11 on the way back out. One can just walk... (unless mobility issues are involved)

Everything else we wanted to see and do on our very limited trip... Times Square, Rockefeller, Central Park, Theaters, etc... is all up in the area of Times Square and just North of there.

I would post a picture for you, but with changes at Shutterfly, I am not sure I can... If you do a search here on the DIS, you might find that I have posted on the topic of NYC before, and had posted a photo of our room/skyline view.

ETA: try this link
http://www.disboards.com/showthread...ht=intercontinental+times+square#post48046358

Happy Planning!

We just got home yesterday from NYC, we were there for our anniversary.
We stayed for the first time at The Bryant Park Hotel. It was very nice we had a junior suite with a Bryant Park view for $294 a night. Huge room with a king bed and a sitting area with a couch.
Very friendly staff, close to the theater area.

That hotel looked so gorgeous that I had to stop and take photos of it! It definitely is on the list for hotels to consider next time we go to New York!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter