NYC cruises - how popular?

lscrivan18

Mouseketeer
I'm eyeing the 5 night Dream cruise end of September to Bermuda out of NYC. This would be our first Disney cruise. Do these cruises tend to be popular due to the limited NYC sailings or not so much since school has just started up? I'm not sure if I want to book just yet but also would hate for all the rooms to disappear or pricing to go up.

I'm eyeing the 5 night Dream cruise end of September to Bermuda out of NYC. This would be our first Disney cruise. Do these cruises tend to be popular due to the limited NYC sailings or not so much since school has just started up? I'm not sure if I want to book just yet but also would hate for all the rooms to disappear or pricing to go up.
I just booked one this morning in October, and I was still able to get main dining, so it can't be all that popular. Then again, we're a long ways until PIF for those cruise dates so there is literally no harm in booking something beyond tying up a deposit--you can always cancel later if you change your mind.

I just booked one this morning in October, and I was still able to get main dining, so it can't be all that popular. Then again, we're a long ways until PIF for those cruise dates so there is literally no harm in booking something beyond tying up a deposit--you can always cancel later if you change your mind.
Deposits are refundable?? 🤯 told you this was my first Disney cruise lol

Deposits are refundable?? 🤯 told you this was my first Disney cruise lol
Yes, deposit fully refundable up until PIF (“pay in full”) date for your cruise, which for a 5 night cruise is 90 days before. So for a September cruise you’d have until sometime in June to decide.

Only exception is concierge which is not refundable but can be transferred to another cruise. Sorry should have mentioned that in my first post but we are not really concierge people so didn’t think of it.

We’ve done two cruises out of NYC and LOVED them! This fall we have a bunch of family weddings so won’t be able to make a cruise work, but I’d expect to be back in 2024 assuming DCL keeps sailing there.

For our 2022 cruise we were originally booked on the September 30th sailing but some people in our traveling party got COVID the week before and we had to switch last minute to the October 16th sailing. We were able to get two similar rooms at the same price as we booked on opening day.

Obviously your experience may differ, but for us there was no problem or extra cost for booking later.

We live in NJ, commuting distance from NYC, and we've embarked from there twice. Incredibly convenient and the sail-away thru NY/NJ Harbor is awesome.

Not particularly crowded, not necessarily swimming weather. Bermuda is a different kind of place that requires some effort to explore and understand.

Lots of posts on these boards about navigating Manhattan Cruise Terminal, parking, and yes, Bermuda. For a short DCL cruise, it was among our favorites.

We live in NJ, commuting distance from NYC, and we've embarked from there twice. Incredibly convenient and the sail-away thru NY/NJ Harbor is awesome.

Not particularly crowded, not necessarily swimming weather. Bermuda is a different kind of place that requires some effort to explore and understand.

Lots of posts on these boards about navigating Manhattan Cruise Terminal, parking, and yes, Bermuda. For a short DCL cruise, it was among our favorites.
We are just over the bridge in NJ too and love Bermuda cruises for the same reason. Have sailed it several times but never with Disney and didn't know if the very limited amount of NYC sailings would lead to sold out ships or the demand wasn't there.

Has Disney ever gone later into the fall/early winter with their NY cruises? I live in NJ so obviously I know about how weird the weather can be later in the year, but we're taking a Royal cruise in December out of Bayonne so I was curious if Disney has ever left NY that late. Thanks!

Has Disney ever gone later into the fall/early winter with their NY cruises? I live in NJ so obviously I know about how weird the weather can be later in the year, but we're taking a Royal cruise in December out of Bayonne so I was curious if Disney has ever left NY that late. Thanks!

They used to sail out of NYC until the end of November but they have recently started ended their NYC sailings at the beginning of November now.

Did the DCL cruise out of NYC that went to Canada 7 days - was either a Star Wars or Marvel Day at sea. Loved it since I never went to NYC (wife has been there before and loves it) so we went a few days earlier so I was able to check out NYC. Even went to the Yankees vs Astros playoff game during the visit.

We also live in NJ and have enjoyed DCL cruises out of NYC. Our favorite was NYC to San Juan. We did it after Thanksgiving which is our preference. Now they do it earlier in November, if they ever changed that I think we would do it again!

Also in NJ. I was looking to book a NYC sailing, we just did the WISH out of Orlando in November and loved it. Wanted to do our next one out of NYC however, when I started looking at the port fees they thousands of dollars more than Florida. I don’t remember but when I looked it felt like it was cheaper to fly to one of the Florida ports and take a similar cruise.

Also in NJ. I was looking to book a NYC sailing, we just did the WISH out of Orlando in November and loved it. Wanted to do our next one out of NYC however, when I started looking at the port fees they thousands of dollars more than Florida. I don’t remember but when I looked it felt like it was cheaper to fly to one of the Florida ports and take a similar cruise.
I never looked at the breakdown but it makes so much sense. I'd always heard (and seen) NYC cruises were pricier than identical itineraries from other homeports and that would explain why.

As I lived in Manhattan until recently, I preferred the NYC departures. It's a giant hassle and time sink for me to go to MCO (having done it more than once) I would much rather leave from NYC.

I've done cruises out of NYC twice, but on the Magic. One was over Thanksgiving and it was packed (my busiest cruise ever), the other was to Canada and not so full. I'd guess that moving from Magic to the Dream which is a larger ship, it'd take longer to fill up, but that's totally an uneducated guess. I'd wager they'll be busier around holidays. NY/NJ schools get the Jewish holidays off so there can be a lot of extra days off around Sept/Oct (don't know when they fall this year) which will probably see more people traveling.

I never looked at the breakdown but it makes so much sense. I'd always heard (and seen) NYC cruises were pricier than identical itineraries from other homeports and that would explain why.
I don't know. The cruise last year from NYC to San Juan was one of the cheapest 7-day itineraries that I've seen on the Magic in the last few years. That cruise had about 1200 guests on it, too. They didn't even bother with two dinner seating times.

I don't know. The cruise last year from NYC to San Juan was one of the cheapest 7-day itineraries that I've seen on the Magic in the last few years. That cruise had about 1200 guests on it, too. They didn't even bother with two dinner seating times.
wow, incredible!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter