NYC Cruise - Driving, have ECV and luggage, help needed with logistics of parking, drop off, etc.

g_ppetto

Mouseketeer
We're cruising out of NYC, driving in from NJ to the cruise terminal, and travel with an ECV. The maps and directions give me a good idea how to get in through the Lincoln tunnel, into Manhattan, and up to the cruise terminal. I'm trying to figure out the logistics of dropping off the luggage, parking, assembling the ECV, and getting to the terminal for check in.

I see there is a drop off lane where I may be able to drop off the luggage with a porter. Will they check in the luggage for us there? If so, I think I have to then exit the terminal area, go south, turn around somewhere, drive back to the north end of the terminal, and this time go to parking. Once parked, I can assemble the ECV and get our carry on bags, and find our way to the terminal.

Am I looking at this correctly?
Is there a way to get to the parking area after we drop off the luggage? Or do I need to exit, turn around, etc.

We briefly considered a hotel in NJ with parking, for the night before, but I don't want to have worry about taking a limo / shuttle with the ECV.

Any thoughts, comments, experiences?

Thank you!

There is a drop off lane, and they will check in your luggage. I don't believe you need to exit the terminal area, I'm pretty sure you can get to the parking area after dropping off the luggage.

Wish I saw the drop off area! We were traveling with a wheelchair + luggage. I parked up on the roof and we hustled the luggage, wheelchair etc. Parking though was a breeze; a few handicapped spots (snagged one). There was someone monitoring the elevator but once in the terminal we had to go back outside to give our bags to the porter.

I think I can help. The NY port has three levels. First level is just for shuttles and buses. When you pull into the terminal there is a ramp that takes you to the mid level where you will drop off luggage with the porters. You will pass a ramp that says roof parking on your right but continue to the drop off area because there is another ramp up to the roof at the other end of the terminal. You do not check in there....just drop your luggage with the porters (tip them about $2 or $3 per bag) and they will take the luggage from there. You will
continue a bit further on the mid-level and there will be a circular ramp that leads up to the roof top parking. From the roof there is an escalator (or elevator)...I can't remember where you will go down into the terminal. Once in the terminal you will have to have your carry on bags scanned and then proceed further into the terminal to check in.

If for any reason the 2nd ramp up to the roof is closed, then you will have to exit and circle around back into the terminal and go up the first ramp to the roof. If that happens you would have already dropped your checked bags so you would not have to schelp them down to the porters.

Here are pics I took of the terminal on different days (hence rain and shine pics). Captions are above each pic.

Heading to the ramp up to the mid-level of terminal for drop off.

On the ramp to the mid-level of terminal. You can see the first ramp for roof parking. You would continue past this to the drop off area if you are dropping off luggage. There is another ramp to roof parking after drop off area.

Pulling up to area to drop bags with porters. There are usually police there directing you.

Area where you drop your bags with porters.

Picture of the 2nd ramp to the roof parking as seen from South of the terminal. You would go past the terminal, make a left and then head into the terminal. The ramp is behind the one way sign.

Street view of the terminal from West Side Highway going Northbound. You can see the 3 levels. Ground, mid and roof.

OP..which cruise are you on? I head out on the Magic this Sunday!!! Can't wait!!

MJ

Last edited:
Finding a parking spot at the terminal is easier if you arrive after disembarkation of the previous cruise. We have sailed out of NYC three times with another cruise coming up in two weeks. We have found that it is easier to find parking at the terminal lot if we arrive after 10 AM. This gives the previous cruisers time to finish breakfast and get to their cars.

Here are pics I took of the terminal on different days (hence rain and shine pics). Captions are above each pic.
snip...
OP..which cruise are you on? I head out on the Magic this Sunday!!! Can't wait!!

MJ

Thank you! Great photos! This is what we needed! Google Maps and Street View can only do so much, and the videos we saw cut out what was the most important part for us. We're on the Nov 3 sailing. We hope you have smooth sailing and warm weather. We will probably be watching you depart NYC on the PTZtv cameras. No need to wave as it never seems to zoom in enough...

Finding a parking spot at the terminal is easier if you arrive after disembarkation of the previous cruise. We have sailed out of NYC three times with another cruise coming up in two weeks. We have found that it is easier to find parking at the terminal lot if we arrive after 10 AM. This gives the previous cruisers time to finish breakfast and get to their cars.

Great tip! Thanks! I think we are hoping to arrive 10:30 or so, depending on traffic. We won't mind waiting as long as it's waiting at the terminal. We may be on the same cruise - Nov 3.

Yes, we are also on the Nov. 3 cruise. We live in South Jersey, right across the river from Philly. It usually takes us an hour and a half to get to the port terminal but we allow 2 hours in case of traffic. We take the NJ Turnpike to the Lincoln Tunnel. It's about another 10-15 minute drive from the tunnel to the port depending on traffic. We plan on arriving around 10:15.
Parking is $40 a night and they accept cash, Visa and Mastercard. You pay upon entering and then you are instructed to pull forward where your car will be searched by security officer and his dog. They will ask you to open your trunk or hatchback and to stay in the car. This only takes about a minute or two and then you can go and park your car.
If you have any other questions, just feel free to ask.

Yes, we are also on the Nov. 3 cruise. We live in South Jersey, right across the river from Philly. It usually takes us an hour and a half to get to the port terminal but we allow 2 hours in case of traffic. We take the NJ Turnpike to the Lincoln Tunnel. It's about another 10-15 minute drive from the tunnel to the port depending on traffic. We plan on arriving around 10:15.
Parking is $40 a night and they accept cash, Visa and Mastercard. You pay upon entering and then you are instructed to pull forward where your car will be searched by security officer and his dog. They will ask you to open your trunk or hatchback and to stay in the car. This only takes about a minute or two and then you can go and park your car.
If you have any other questions, just feel free to ask.
Thanks for the parking, trip and security info. Looking again at Google Earth, it appears I'll be dropping off the luggage and doing a quick exit, drive around and re-enter from the north to get to the parking. The only ramp I could find south of the luggage drop off area was an exit ramp from the parking level. Maybe they reverse it... No big deal if they don't. We live near Exit 3 of the NJTPK. At this point I plan to take 295 north to Bordentown to get on the NJTPK. Gotta make the stops at Dunkin and Wawa before we hit the interstate.

@jiminy14, @g_ppetto :wave:
Just wanted to say hi and see you on the cruise.
We are also on the November 3rd Cruise! :goodvibes

It’s not a very active group but here is a link to our cruise here on the DIS.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...2019-7-night-bahamian-from-nyc.3684220/page-3
Hello and thanks for the link. I don't partake in FB but my wife is active on the group for our cruise. I understand there is a meet and greet scheduled for the group. We're planning to attend.

Let's hope for no delays on the NJTPK! In addition to Google Maps and Waze, 1010 AM (1010WINS) provides frequent traffic updates comparable to what we get here from KYW1060.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter