Nursing mamas and Disney runs?

mollybloom

Earning My Ears
Hi! Has anyone been or will be nursing during a Disney run?

My LO will be 8 months at marathon weekend, and I'm still thinking through what I will do on marathon day in terms of pumping. She goes to bed at 8pm and wakes to eat at 5. I'll definitely be gone by 5, and don't anticipate finishing the marathon until 11am (or later? Not sure how long it will take my corral to start). Considering getting a car adapter for my pump and pumping in the parking lot around 4-4:30? Or a hand pump in the corral? I'm not worried about saving the milk, but I am worried about super painful engorgement!

Not a nursing mom: I've heard of people "pumping and dumping" before the race. :confused3 Maybe google around and see what pops up?

Some people successfully "dream feed" their babies -- feeding them without waking them up -- but it didn't work for either of my kids! If you have a car, I would consider the car adapter and then pump/dump as close to race time as possible. Or, bring the pump and use some sort of medical tent (and then leave the pump with bag check). I successfully handpumped a few times, but never got as much output as the pump -- so I'd worry that even with that, you might still experience a little engorgement.

ETA: Congrats -- being able to train with a new baby, and breastfeed is certainly an accomplishment!!

Some people successfully "dream feed" their babies -- feeding them without waking them up -- but it didn't work for either of my kids! If you have a car, I would consider the car adapter and then pump/dump as close to race time as possible. Or, bring the pump and use some sort of medical tent (and then leave the pump with bag check). I successfully handpumped a few times, but never got as much output as the pump -- so I'd worry that even with that, you might still experience a little engorgement.

Yeah I can get a couple of ounces with the hand pump, but it's slow and frustrating! Hmm, a dream feed is interesting. We worked so hard to night wean, lol! But that might be the best option actually.

Whatever you decide to do, it would be a good idea to do a training run of it at home this month. Like in your car in the drive way, etc. Hours being similar...maybe if you plan on a long run over a weekend. Although I wasn't running until my kiddo was 2+ years old, I did do "practices" for my schedule change prior to going back to work and I'm glad I did. Might be good idea in this case too! Maybe the engorgment won't be as bad or you will realize what you may need in your car, etc.

I've heard of running mamas who just express manually as need while running (either in a port a potty or med tent or whatever) and then just keep on going. The only thing that may go wrong with pumping in the car is if the cars aren't parked near the corrals. I don't know what the new set up is.

ETA: Congrats -- being able to train with a new baby, and breastfeed is certainly an accomplishment!!

Thanks for the congrats!! She is the light of my life, and also sometimes I don't mind letting her daddy watch her for a couple of hours while I run. ;)

Whatever you decide to do, it would be a good idea to do a training run of it at home this month. Like in your car in the drive way, etc. Hours being similar...maybe if you plan on a long run over a weekend. Although I wasn't running until my kiddo was 2+ years old, I did do "practices" for my schedule change prior to going back to work and I'm glad I did. Might be good idea in this case too! Maybe the engorgment won't be as bad or you will realize what you may need in your car, etc.

This is a great idea, thanks!! Totally good call.
I've heard of running mamas who just express manually as need while running (either in a port a potty or med tent or whatever) and then just keep on going. The only thing that may go wrong with pumping in the car is if the cars aren't parked near the corrals. I don't know what the new set up is.

Oh my God, haha, instead of character stops, I'll do hand expression stops! LOL.

I don't think they can arrest you anywhere in the US for pumping in public. If they ever did there would be so much bad press around it.

Oh no, I meant hand expressing, not hand pumping. I was just joking, like if I were toodling down the course fondling my boobs, that'd be a little weird. ;)

I was breast feeding at two WDW Marathons. I fed my son before leaving the room and them again immediately at the finish. At the time I worried about engorgement, especially since I was still nursing every two hours or so, but it never happened.

I was breast feeding at two WDW Marathons. I fed my son before leaving the room and them again immediately at the finish. At the time I worried about engorgement, especially since I was still nursing every two hours or so, but it never happened.

Oh super, thank you!! This is just what I was hoping to hear. If you're as slow as me (5-5.5 hour estimated finish time?) I'll feel even better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter