• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Number of points?

1momof3boys3

Mouseketeer
I'm trying to calculate how many points I should purchase. Right now it looks like I can get a 1 bedroom villa at AKL (6 nights in a Savannah room in October) for 189 points. I've seen it recommended to get a cushion because, undoubtedly, points will continue to increase over time. What percentage of cushion is recommended?

because, undoubtedly, points will continue to increase over time.
No, that's not how it works. The total number of points are locked in at each resort. In order for one category to increase in points, another has to decrease. And that doesn't happen often. One bedrooms would likely never increase, anyway.

I'm trying to calculate how many points I should purchase. Right now it looks like I can get a 1 bedroom villa at AKL (6 nights in a Savannah room in October) for 189 points. I've seen it recommended to get a cushion because, undoubtedly, points will continue to increase over time. What percentage of cushion is recommended?
Points requirements won't change over time but your desire to stay elsewhere, for longer, during a more expensive season or in a larger villa is more likely to happen. Most recommendations to add a buffer of a few points stems from that possibility.

Oh, I completely misunderstood the way it works!! I'm so glad I asked. Thank you for clearing that up for me!

I often recommend a buffer for 3 reasons, one is that reallocations can get you esp for smaller villas or lower seasons, another is you often need more than you think you need (or sometimes less for some) and lastly, you may want to try other things or other times. In this case you likely don't need much or any buffer to get the 1 BR for 6 nights for Oct. There's a small chance they could return to the days where weekends were far higher than weekdays but even if they did such a reallocation it'd likely only hit you to the tune of 6-8 points per trip.

That will give you enough points to try a 1 BR 6 nights the same time for most resorts in a 1 BR. But for some resorts you'd need a 2 BR and some resorts/times are more expensive than Oct at AKV which is one of the cheaper times currently. Plus there will almost certainly come a time when you'll need a 2 BR routinely at least for a few years. But there are always ways to save points if you get squeezed. Were I in this situation and assuming I could pay cash, I'd look at around 200-220 total with a resale purchase and a retail add on. You wouldn't have to add the retail right away if the passes weren't a major plus for you but I'd do so within a year or so to make sure I still had the option. The nature of the contract you buy will also have a major impact. A fully loaded contract of 189 points would give you quite a cushion for some time and a fully stripped contract of 189 might never be enough. My guess is ultimately you'll need 250-300 or so but it'll take a while to get there. So one option is to cut it close and plan a second contract later.

I often recommend a buffer for 3 reasons, one is that reallocations can get you esp for smaller villas or lower seasons, another is you often need more than you think you need (or sometimes less for some) and lastly, you may want to try other things or other times. In this case you likely don't need much or any buffer to get the 1 BR for 6 nights for Oct. There's a small chance they could return to the days where weekends were far higher than weekdays but even if they did such a reallocation it'd likely only hit you to the tune of 6-8 points per trip.

That will give you enough points to try a 1 BR 6 nights the same time for most resorts in a 1 BR. But for some resorts you'd need a 2 BR and some resorts/times are more expensive than Oct at AKV which is one of the cheaper times currently. Plus there will almost certainly come a time when you'll need a 2 BR routinely at least for a few years. But there are always ways to save points if you get squeezed. Were I in this situation and assuming I could pay cash, I'd look at around 200-220 total with a resale purchase and a retail add on. You wouldn't have to add the retail right away if the passes weren't a major plus for you but I'd do so within a year or so to make sure I still had the option. The nature of the contract you buy will also have a major impact. A fully loaded contract of 189 points would give you quite a cushion for some time and a fully stripped contract of 189 might never be enough. My guess is ultimately you'll need 250-300 or so but it'll take a while to get there. So one option is to cut it close and plan a second contract later.

Thank you for the explanation on the cushion!

So, here's what I was thinking.... I would get 120 points at AKV because we only go EOY, and then get 25 points direct (not now, but maybe next year). That should be 290 EOY, right? ... If I bank 2017 and go in 2018, alternating years from there... but I get 25 every year from the direct contract. Am I looking at that correctly? Let's say I get a contract today that only has 2018 points, I could bank those points and go in 2019, right?

...and then get 25 points direct (not now, but maybe next year).

Am I reading this right? You want to get ~120 points now, followed by 25 direct next year? My recommendation would be budget/plan on getting the direct contract now, immediately after your resale. Who knows if DVD/DVC will close the loophole and increase the minimum requirement for membership benefits.

That should be 290 EOY, right?

Correct. Ensure your contracts are title the same and are for the same resort/UY for maximum usability for an every other year trip.

Let's say I get a contract today that only has 2018 points, I could bank those points and go in 2019, right?

I can't say I've seen very many people who buy a contract now for a trip 2+ years down the road. (Buying stripped, with intentions on banking)

Am I reading this right? You want to get ~120 points now, followed by 25 direct next year? My recommendation would be budget/plan on getting the direct contract now, immediately after your resale. Who knows if DVD/DVC will close the loophole and increase the minimum requirement for membership benefits.

Correct. Ensure your contracts are title the same and are for the same resort/UY for maximum usability for an every other year trip.

I can't say I've seen very many people who buy a contract now for a trip 2+ years down the road. (Buying stripped, with intentions on banking)

Yes, I planned on purchasing direct further down the road, but I can look at getting it sooner if that's what is typically recommended.

I would really NOT prefer to get a stripped contract. I was hoping to plan a trip for October 2018, so I would have to purchase a contract that has bankable 2017 points and then use 2018's points. I am hoping something comes up before November, because that's my 11 month window to October 2018, right? There's not a lot of AKV contracts like that right now... or I'm not looking at the right sites.

No, that's not how it works. The total number of points are locked in at each resort. In order for one category to increase in points, another has to decrease. And that doesn't happen often. One bedrooms would likely never increase, anyway.

The 1BR's increased at VWL during the past reallocations. Probably because we had exactly the number needed for a week. :laughing:

Anyway, all categories are fair game if they reallocate again.

Thank you for the explanation on the cushion!

So, here's what I was thinking.... I would get 120 points at AKV because we only go EOY, and then get 25 points direct (not now, but maybe next year). That should be 290 EOY, right? ... If I bank 2017 and go in 2018, alternating years from there... but I get 25 every year from the direct contract. Am I looking at that correctly? Let's say I get a contract today that only has 2018 points, I could bank those points and go in 2019, right?
I wouldn't go under 150 personally even if this meant foregoing the direct contract. EOY is more difficult but workable though it is more risky if you have to change or cancel.

Yes, I planned on purchasing direct further down the road, but I can look at getting it sooner if that's what is typically recommended.

I would really NOT prefer to get a stripped contract. I was hoping to plan a trip for October 2018, so I would have to purchase a contract that has bankable 2017 points and then use 2018's points. I am hoping something comes up before November, because that's my 11 month window to October 2018, right? There's not a lot of AKV contracts like that right now... or I'm not looking at the right sites.
Worry about getting the best long term deal, not about the current points or stripped vs non stripped per se. Having said that it's currently usual to get a better deal on a loaded contract. The problem with smaller is you have less to chose from, higher closing on a points basis and are more likely to only have stripped contracts available. Not to mention you may pay more per point, sometimes quite a bit more though it shouldn't be that much difference between 120 & 150.

Resale takes a long time. I made an offer on a contract on 3/23. Two months later, the deed has been recorded but the points still are not in my account. Realistically, you should hope to have found your contract before September if you hope to be able to use the points in November.

I wouldn't go under 150 personally even if this meant foregoing the direct contract. EOY is more difficult but workable though it is more risky if you have to change or cancel.

Worry about getting the best long term deal, not about the current points or stripped vs non stripped per se. Having said that it's currently usual to get a better deal on a loaded contract. The problem with smaller is you have less to chose from, higher closing on a points basis and are more likely to only have stripped contracts available. Not to mention you may pay more per point, sometimes quite a bit more though it shouldn't be that much difference between 120 & 150.

I really appreciate your feedback!

Resale takes a long time. I made an offer on a contract on 3/23. Two months later, the deed has been recorded but the points still are not in my account. Realistically, you should hope to have found your contract before September if you hope to be able to use the points in November.

Good point! I didn't think of that!

Did I do the math right? Is 6 nights in October/in a Savannah view room/1bedroom... 189 points? I saw a chart that lists Sun-Thurs at 31 points and Fri-Sat at 34 points. So, if I go Sunday night through Friday night, I calculated 189 points. I just want to make sure I understand the point chart before deciding how many points works for us.

Did I do the math right? Is 6 nights in October/in a Savannah view room/1bedroom... 189 points? I saw a chart that lists Sun-Thurs at 31 points and Fri-Sat at 34 points. So, if I go Sunday night through Friday night, I calculated 189 points. I just want to make sure I understand the point chart before deciding how many points works for us.

Yes, 6 nights with a Sunday check in and Saturday check out for a 1BR savannah view is 189 points in October (Choice Season).

That's what I get as well.

My thoughts and reasoning on recommending you consider more than you are are these. First using 189 points assumes there are no changes from your plan and everything works the same every time. There's essentially zero chance of that long term. It's likely at some point there will be a reallocation and it could affect you. That you'll go 6 nights and not more or less consistently is unlikely. It's also likely you'll need a 2 BR part of the time at some point or even every other year. But the main reason I generally wouldn't go under 150 is that there are a lot more contracts on the table and the price per point tends to be much better for the full sized contracts. Plus the chances of getting a loaded contract are much better than if you limit to smaller ones. Worst case scenario if you don't need them you can always do a single rental every few years to pear down the points. But if you can find a slightly smaller contract of comparable qualify and price, I do think that's workable as you've laid out. I think people often box themselves in when doing the planning and cut it too close OR they get overly excited and manic and overbuy.

That's what I get as well.

My thoughts and reasoning on recommending you consider more than you are are these. First using 189 points assumes there are no changes from your plan and everything works the same every time. There's essentially zero chance of that long term. It's likely at some point there will be a reallocation and it could affect you. That you'll go 6 nights and not more or less consistently is unlikely. It's also likely you'll need a 2 BR part of the time at some point or even every other year. But the main reason I generally wouldn't go under 150 is that there are a lot more contracts on the table and the price per point tends to be much better for the full sized contracts. Plus the chances of getting a loaded contract are much better than if you limit to smaller ones. Worst case scenario if you don't need them you can always do a single rental every few years to pear down the points. But if you can find a slightly smaller contract of comparable qualify and price, I do think that's workable as you've laid out. I think people often box themselves in when doing the planning and cut it too close OR they get overly excited and manic and overbuy.

Yes, I have noticed that on the contracts lately. The smaller ones are more expensive per point and they go fast! I've seen odd numbers too, which I don't fully understand. Why get 226 points?? I like to round up. lol.

Yes, I have noticed that on the contracts lately. The smaller ones are more expensive per point and they go fast! I've seen odd numbers too, which I don't fully understand. Why get 226 points?? I like to round up. lol.
Historically it has not been uncommon for people to buy the exact number of points for what they think they need. As long as the contract fits your needs, it really doesn't matter if it's an odd or even number of points. It is my opinion that too much value and emphasis is put on smaller contracts and I think it's at least 50/50 that long term they will not hold their value if one pays a premium and just as possible they will actually be wort less pp if too small. I believe the approach of buying multiple small contracts, thus paying extra closing, more per point and getting contracts of lower quality is short sighted and risky at best. If one can get good contracts without paying more for them, I think it's reasonable if not preferred, but I'd only bother with it if the contract falls into your lap while you're looking anyway. The only reasonable ways to do this are to buy retail where one was going to buy retail anyway or to find someone selling multiple contracts which can be purchases as a package for little or no closing and for a price PP comparable to similar sized single contracts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter