Number of People Walking

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a fee were charged for every date modification (i.e., every drop & add change with none free) you could still walk. You would just be paying for the inconvenience you cause other Members who actually want the nights you are temporarily holding with no intent to use.
That might be a deterrent to walking in general, but not enough so to open up the window at 11 months.

Larger point owners would still be at a competitive advantage to smaller point owners, something not currently the case.

People who can afford to “pay to play” will be at an advantage to others.

Under your plan, the effective NEW strategy would be to book a full week and pay to bump twice. The new window will start not at the 11 months window, but 18 days earlier.

All complains about walking come from "I cannot book the room I want". Eliminating walking won't guarantee you can get the room you want at 11 months.
People walk because there is more demand than availability. If there are 10 rooms and 25 people want them, 15 are not going to get it.
Replace walking with the "how fast are you at clicking within one millisecond after 8am" lottery and you still have 15 unhappy people.
Rejoice you know what walking is, this gives you an advantage against the 99% who don't know and hope it never gets changed, because there are good chances that you're going to be affected more than just by walkers.

Is there a way to tell what size room is being walked for AKV Club level? Based on these threads I know of at least one studio being walked into Dec. Does a 1 or 2bd ever show up for a brief moment?

Walking may not always get an owner what they're looking for. One can be on top of stepping the reservations forward only to find rooms have been taking out of rotation for scheduled upgrades.

I'm a person who has to research and understand how systems work. So, this last summer I dove into walking an AKV value studio. It was interesting, I did learn a lot more than just the base definition. It was clear, however, that at one point that all value rooms had been blocked off for the end of August. I called MS asking what was up (thinking someone had coded the days wrong in the DB) and was told that I missed out, others had grabbed them before me. I had to explain myself several times over as even the CM had no idea what walking really was and there was no possible way that could have happened. She put me on hold and after 10 or so minutes came back with the answer that the rooms had been intentionally removed from inventory for a scheduled service or upgrade. Oddly enough, after 2 weeks of waiting those rooms came back online for the blocked out dates. Guess they don't get upgrades, LOL.

Well I got the room I wanted this morning. First booked Oct 01-08. Then waited a few minutes and Sept 30 opened up as the walkers moved along and added Sept 30th to my reservation. So now have Sept 30-Oct 08 booked. Oct 01 is now gone, while Sept 30th is back open even after I booked it.

Well I got the room I wanted this morning. First booked Oct 01-08. Then waited a few minutes and Sept 30 opened up as the walkers moved along and added Sept 30th to my reservation. So now have Sept 30-Oct 08 booked. Oct 01 is now gone, while Sept 30th is back open even after I booked it.

Happy to hear you ended up getting what you wanted. I have been following you every day LOL
How far along did you walk you ressie?
I am really trying to understand it all. If I want to walk and book 7-8 nights, should I do that when I feel comfortable before
my seven month mark (book the week) and every day take a day off the front and add to the end. Is that the easiest way
to secure a reservation?

Does anyone have any experience with Member services combining Studio and 1 bedroom into a 2-bedroom reservation without losing both? Right now it looks like I stand a chance of grabbing one or the other for AKL concierge as people continue their walks and the earlier dates drop...the walks for each of those are moving at different paces, and I'm worried I'll never be able to coordinate and actually get a 2-bedroom for my dates in November. Is grabbing one or the other pointless, or can member services combine if I'm able to eventually get both (wishful thinking, I'm sure.) Hopefully this question makes sense!

Am I correct in thinking that if a person can grab one night of the room they want then if they have the patience, they can walk for months and try to keep adding days until they get the number of days and dates they want?

Am I correct in thinking that if a person can grab one night of the room they want then if they have the patience, they can walk for months and try to keep adding days until they get the number of days and dates they want?

You would need more than 1 day otherwise you're battling every single day to switch to the following day. If you're able to get the first day at 11 months then all following days are open to you so you could get the length you want then (up to 7) and then walk from there.

Does anyone have any experience with Member services combining Studio and 1 bedroom into a 2-bedroom reservation without losing both? Right now it looks like I stand a chance of grabbing one or the other for AKL concierge as people continue their walks and the earlier dates drop...the walks for each of those are moving at different paces, and I'm worried I'll never be able to coordinate and actually get a 2-bedroom for my dates in November. Is grabbing one or the other pointless, or can member services combine if I'm able to eventually get both (wishful thinking, I'm sure.) Hopefully this question makes sense!
Studios and One bedroom units usually run at a slightly different point rate than the 2 bedroom units. To keep the point inventory correct the two rooms have to stay as they are so I doubt MS can simply combine the two reservations into a 2br on paper.

However, you can leave a note for the assigner so they see that you are traveling together and they can do their best to book the rooms as adjoining.

You would need more than 1 day otherwise you're battling every single day to switch to the following day. If you're able to get the first day at 11 months then all following days are open to you so you could get the length you want then (up to 7) and then walk from there.

Thank you. So, if I could book a week one day, then the next day, cancel (modify) the first day and then add a day to my existing ressie at the end?

Thank you. So, if I could book a week one day, then the next day, cancel (modify) the first day and then add a day to my existing ressie at the end?
Yes....you also wouldn't have to do it every day because you have it blocked. Some will still do it daily but really you could switch every 6 days and keep it blocked. I guess you may run larger risk of it being pulled out of inventory that way though.

Yes....you also wouldn't have to do it every day because you have it blocked. Some will still do it daily but really you could switch every 6 days and keep it blocked. I guess you may run larger risk of it being pulled out of inventory that way though.

Thank you VERY much! This thread was very helpful for me.
Congrats again!

Thank you VERY much! This thread was very helpful for me.
Congrats again!
This is the 11 month window where you can lock up a room ahead of the window from anybody else.

You can only “hold” a room in advance of 7 months from non-home resort owner. Any home resort owner can pick off your 7 month walk. This is why walking is far less common and for far shorter periods ahead of the 7 month window.

Why “walk” a 7 month reservation for weeks if a home resort owner can undo your efforts at any time?

This is the 11 month window where you can lock up a room ahead of the window from anybody else.

You can only “hold” a room in advance of 7 months from non-home resort owner. Any home resort owner can pick off your 7 month walk. This is why walking is far less common and for far shorter periods ahead of the 7 month window.

Why “walk” a 7 month reservation for weeks if a home resort owner can undo your efforts at any time?

Thank you. Now I fully understand. I appreciate it.

Happy to hear you ended up getting what you wanted. I have been following you every day LOL
How far along did you walk you ressie?

I wasn't walking my reservation. I was being blocked from making it by people that were walking.

As someone already mentioned more people want to go during F&W so to ensure you get a standard/value view room you need to walk them.

Maybe they will add a fee to make changes, say you get 3 for free then a fee for a change after that. That will slow down the walkers and renter agents.
Does anyone else think it's a bad idea to suggest Disney add more charges? I get that it's frustrating when you want a specific room for a popular time, but we're being nickel and dimed to death lately. Every time I figure out how the system works, Disney changes the rules and finds a way to get more money out of me. :confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!