Now that the Cdn $ is in the toilet....

DisneyRookie2007

DIS Veteran
Disney needs to consider allowing Canadians to book their vacation packages using Cdn $ at par with the American $. With the economy putting the brakes on expendible income, this would go along way to make me reconsider taking another trip anytime soon.

I too have a trip for May, but I am not going to do a "freak out". I am assuming that once the US election is over, the dust will settle. I would think that our dollar will go back up to around the .85 cent mark within the month or two.

Keep in mind if they offer Canadian dollars at par, you will then lose any other discounts. Whether it is CAA discount, general public code, pin code, free dining etc. I think it would balance out in the end!

It's the USD that is the 'dollar du jour' at the moment. I think it will stabilize but I do not think there will be the parity that was once forecasted!

I am a TA--I just finished re-faring cruises that were booked in USD because at the time- it was more favourable. Now-not so much! Too bad..but those that had a good amount of money on their bookings are making a bit of a windfall now as it comes back to them!:confused3

Has anyboy got good links to what the "experts" think the dollar will do? We're going nuts (well, I am; the wife is cool as a cucumber) trying to figure out if we should just pay for February now.

It's the USD that is the 'dollar du jour' at the moment. I think it will stabilize but I do not think there will be the parity that was once forecasted
I agree. A lot of it is foreigners buying up the US green back to pay back debts accrued in USD. I expect 85 cents to be the norm once the markets stabilize. But I'm just your average soccer mom. LOL

Has anyboy got good links to what the "experts" think the dollar will do?
There's an article on Yahoo Finance right now. The CAD is tied heavily to commodities. Oil went up today now the dollar is up .50 cents from an hour ago. That is based upon speculation that OPEC will cut oil production in light of ease in demand (good speculation because, of course, it will. OPEC wants the price of oil to go up). For this, my dh deals in commmodities daily. His company does expect oil to drop at least another $10 per barrel in the coming weeks/months and are forecasting a low of $50-55 per barrel. That could definitely effect our dollar.

I feel your pain Sydney and know where you're coming from but it's a gamble either way.:confused: We leave in one week. I bought some currency when the dollar took it's big hit in case it kept sliding. Now I'm wondering whether to get the rest of our spending money, in case it plummets in the next two weeks. We have always just used bank cards and CCs for US cash down there but, for the first time, I've got traveller's checks.

I remember I went on my first trip back in '05 and got an at par deal and I think the dollar reached 77 cents and i was excited with that lol!!! jeez what a differnce a few years makes. Cross border shopping is no longer as good as it was earlier this year. oh well I'll just have to pay an extra 100 bucks for 400 US

It's the USD that is the 'dollar du jour' at the moment. I think it will stabilize but I do not think there will be the parity that was once forecasted!

I am a TA--I just finished re-faring cruises that were booked in USD because at the time- it was more favourable. Now-not so much! Too bad..but those that had a good amount of money on their bookings are making a bit of a windfall now as it comes back to them!:confused3

Your clients must really like you. I read somewhere that RCCL only changes their exchange rate twice a year, and right now some of the cruises are less in Canadian than US.

Some of the cruises are less in CAD right now-absolutely.

Princess-is at par. So those that booked in USD before they were at par..because credit cards were exchanging at a rate that was better (at the time) than the cruise line rate--are now in a tight spot. Final payment not yet made and with the dollar now..well-it's not too favourable to leave as is!
Now that being said..each fare has to be weighed up. In some cases the fuel supplements were non existant or quite small at the time of booking compared to now as well as the price of the sailing can have gone up in price. All aspects have to be looked at.

This year--ALL of the Cruiselines have had to adjust their prices a few times (mostly in our favour!) to remain competitive!

Hey ...a few years ago when our dollar was hovering around the 50 -55 cent mark, Disney did offer a Canadian at par deal..it was kinda funky how it really worked and drove my TA nuts at the time..overall it was a bit better deal.

Disney is already starting to buckle to the weak economy everywhere - deals and specials are being advertised on TV. I am sure we will see more. I know of a few people who have cancelled the trip to Disney this winter.

If you read around on the boards you will see it is just not us Canadians cancelling Disney , so are the US citizens as well....money is money no matter what it is worth on the market - if you don't have it - you don't have it - what is worth more keeping your house or a trip to see Mickey???

And as far as commodities go, this recent glut of oil and cheap oil is only temporary...sorry folks there is only so much oil in the world - it is not renewing itself...so up goes the price...

Most financial advisors are predicting an at par dollar by next year ( summer time frame)...I know it sounds like an election promise, but Canada really is in better shape then almost all other countries

Hey ...a few years ago when our dollar was hovering around the 50 -55 cent mark, Disney did offer a Canadian at par deal..it was kinda funky how it really worked and drove my TA nuts at the time..overall it was a bit better deal.

Disney is already starting to buckle to the weak economy everywhere - deals and specials are being advertised on TV. I am sure we will see more. I know of a few people who have cancelled the trip to Disney this winter.

If you read around on the boards you will see it is just not us Canadians cancelling Disney , so are the US citizens as well....money is money no matter what it is worth on the market - if you don't have it - you don't have it - what is worth more keeping your house or a trip to see Mickey???

And as far as commodities go, this recent glut of oil and cheap oil is only temporary...sorry folks there is only so much oil in the world - it is not renewing itself...so up goes the price...

Most financial advisors are predicting an at par dollar by next year ( summer time frame)...I know it sounds like an election promise, but Canada really is in better shape then almost all other countries

Do You mean Summer of 2009, or summer of 2010? Thanks for clarifying for me! :) My trip is for Fall 2009, and I am really hoping the $ gets better before my payment due date in mid July.
Marie:flower3:

Hi SydneyFalco, I'm from Gatineau too!:wave2: (Aylmer)

I'm anxious too; we have a cruise and a week at DW booked for next year, but at 20% more+, not sure we will still go...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter