• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not the Response I was Looking For....

SandyinMonterey

DIS Veteran
I had posted about the poor workmanship at the WLV during our last trip (Easter Break). Holes in wall, missing pieces to kitchen faucet, mix-matched bathroom fixtures, not being able to open fridge if pushed back to wall, etc. Heard back from DVC today and it was truly a one sided conversation. She didn't say much at all, except for the occasional "I'm sorry" and "I will pass this on." Disappointed in their response ( lack of).

I also had a similar response. We stayed at WLV for the first time in years and maintenance was horrid, room door continued to fall apart, missing items in the kitchen, toilet didn't work properly, dingy and dirty room....list goes on. Was once a favorite resort, but unless I can stay in the hotel section, this is not for me. Sad because the resort as a whole is just beautiful.

She made me feel like I was the first and only ever complaining about the poor workmanship. I said to her there are plenty of people complaining on these forums. Our toilet did not work right either. We called someone to check it out. When he got to the room, he had no tools or anything. The man flushed the toilet and said it would have to wait till morning when he could call the plumber.

She made me feel like I was the first and only ever complaining about the poor workmanship. I said to her there are plenty of people complaining on these forums. Our toilet did not work right either. We called someone to check it out. When he got to the room, he had no tools or anything. The man flushed the toilet and said it would have to wait till morning when he could call the plumber.

I'm sorry.

There are a lot of wonderful CMs working in DVC customer service. But there are many that are quite frankly not for the position. One could say that they are trained to be non-committal but it doesn't explain when you get a terrific employee who make you at least feel heard.

I had atrocious Christmas stay about two years ago. And absolute comedy of errors, daily. Before that, in years of DVC stays I had been very lucky. Nothing but great service or things that were a mere blip to me. And I've had great service since.

But for that situation I had to deal with some very immature and almost accusatory CMs to find a few that knew what to say and do. And these incompetent CMs were in DVC member satisfaction. It was the manager at the CR/BLT, who was truly appalled, who led me to someone to listen within the system. Contacted them for me. And they were shocked about what I had to go through to get to a simple "that's not good enough". It's really not that difficult to make people feel like they're understood or heard.

Good for you for taking it all on for all of us. :thumbsup2

It has been my experience that the cm's have been trained to deal with a complaint in two ways. 1. Say little other then I am sorry or 2. Put the blame on you, the customer. But no matter what they cannot admit to have ever heard about the issue before. And god forbid you mention the internet. Like a CM said to me laughing once "don't believe anything you read online!" Nothing shuts a cm down as fast as mentioning the internet. These attitudes really bother me a lot because it fosters all the horrible attitudes we have seen in CMs rather then encouraging true helpful guest services. I had a friend in vet school who had a professor literally tell a class that horse owners were crazy and to not trust them. I can totally see a cm in training being told similarly "watch out for those crazy dvc people. They will try to take advantage of you"

It has been my experience that the cm's have been trained to deal with a complaint in two ways. 1. Say little other then I am sorry or 2. Put the blame on you, the customer. But no matter what they cannot admit to have ever heard about the issue before. And god forbid you mention the internet. Like a CM said to me laughing once "don't believe anything you read online!" Nothing shuts a cm down as fast as mentioning the internet. These attitudes really bother me a lot because it fosters all the horrible attitudes we have seen in CMs rather then encouraging true helpful guest services. I had a friend in vet school who had a professor literally tell a class that horse owners were crazy and to not trust them. I can totally see a cm in training being told similarly "watch out for those crazy dvc people. They will try to take advantage of you"

unfortunately, it happens. WDW has a reputation of making it right, but imo you do need to pick your battles and speak to the proper person.

We had an over-the-top issue during stay @ BWV last summer as to unidentified loud noises in room at night (told it was malfunctioning ice machine) and nowhere else to move us. I spoke to the same CM each day @ the desk who was increasingly disrespectful, even laughing about the situation with two co-workers and when he called the back office after I asked if they had checked out the problem the 2nd morning I spoke to him. He stated there was another room open for the 3rd night but we would have to pay a cleaning fee to be moved, which i found out was dead wrong. Insisted on speaking to assistant manager at that point& called DVC to express my concerns. I understand that things happen, but staff should always be professional.

That afternoon came back to room and found a beautiful floral arrangement with note of apology from the general manager. DVC called me the next morning and apologized profusely & refunded our points for the 3 nights. Magically a room was located for the last night of our stay but it wouldn't be ready until after we had left for MNSSHP that evening so we declined.

Note that the DVC rep indicated that a new system is in place and that by accepting the point refund we acknowledged that a file would be opened and placed under our name containing the details of the incident. She apologized for the need but said there was a contingent of members who are chronic complainers asking for comps.

The reality is, they will make note of your comment but probably do nothing about it. Why would they, you don't have a say in what DVC does, the rehab selections or the quality of the work or cost.

Sadly DVC continues to show us that they care little about service after the sale. The MS phone hold times continues to be a issue so that tells me that they have cut CM's or reassigned them to other functions like "chat" that doesn't do anything other that tell you to call MS or to Membership Magic who is selling members "special events". Resale processing time has increased so they didn't move anyone to that group. :sad2:

:earsboy: Bill

The reality is, they will make note of your comment but probably do nothing about it. Why would they, you don't have a say in what DVC does, the rehab selections or the quality of the work or cost. Sadly DVC continues to show us that they care little about service after the sale. The MS phone hold times continues to be a issue so that tells me that they have cut CM's or reassigned them to other functions like "chat" that doesn't do anything other that tell you to call MS or to Membership Magic who is selling members "special events". Resale processing time has increased so they didn't move anyone to that group. :sad2: :earsboy: Bill

Agree with phone wait times. Yesterday was a 22 minute hold time. I instead used the contact form online...still waiting for that response.

Sad to hear Member services is taking the approach that we are guilty as whiners and looking to get compensation until proven otherwise.

This is not the same MS I remember. All the focus seems to be on building, selling and building some more. While the older DVCs are maintained to just good enough standards. I realize development and sales are totally separate from maintenance, but sales should care what goes on in the older units as it all reflects back to the system as a whole.

Perhaps photographic evidence of those bigger issues when found would help. Most of us are not looking for compensation - we just want a better DVC.

Sad to hear Member services is taking the approach that we are guilty as whiners and looking to get compensation until proven otherwise.

This is not the same MS I remember. All the focus seems to be on building, selling and building some more. While the older DVCs are maintained to just good enough standards. I realize development and sales are totally separate from maintenance, but sales should care what goes on in the older units as it all reflects back to the system as a whole.

Perhaps photographic evidence of those bigger issues when found would help. Most of us are not looking for compensation - we just want a better DVC.

For years I was foolish to believe that DVC cared and that they were not aware of negative issues at the resorts and with MS. They would thank me for bringing items to their attention but after years of the same problems it was apparent that they knew, and they either didn't care or it wasn't in their business model to correct the problems.

What really put the icing on the cake is when a ex MS CM told me a few months ago that management is well aware of the issues and that they are instructed to act like they have never been told of the problem before.

For years I was foolish to believe that DVC cared and that they were not aware of negative issues at the resorts and with MS. They would thank me for bringing items to their attention but after years of the same problems it was apparent that they knew, and they either didn't care or it wasn't in their business model to correct the problems.

What really put the icing on the cake is when a ex MS CM told me a few months ago that management is well aware of the issues and that they are instructed to act like they have never been told of the problem before.

If I truly felt that way, I would sell mine. Sure you are going to get the random CM that it's just a job to them. But there are many that do truly care.

Well, I will say there isn't much that they can do. If you put yourself in the CM's position, they are supposed to call you back, listen to your concerns and forward it on. Rarely are they in a position to actually compensate you in some "meaningful" way.

With that being said, circumstances will always dictate. Obviously, the best option is to deal with the on site staff. Complain about the condition of the room, if it is not heard at the front desk ask for a manager to go to the room with you and see the problems. See what they are willing to do....and it is best to deal with management during the day verses the night shift managers who are there more to keep the ship running then to actually do anything.

There is also perspective. Unfortunately, if you look at these boards...DVC or not many people recommend making a mountain out of a mole hill in order to get something from Disney. No company can stay in business giving away the house...so you them not jumping to give you something isn't necessarily a problem. What did you want them to do? Fix the problem or compensate you somehow? And did you ask for it at the time the problem came up?

If I truly felt that way, I would sell mine. Sure you are going to get the random CM that it's just a job to them. But there are many that do truly care.

I can't change the businesses practices of the DVC and the CM's who care are powerless to also make change. I really feel sorry for them and have made several wonderful contacts over the years. I have seen some give up and move on, others decide to just do their job and not make waves.

It isn't the lower level employees that are the problem, it's upper level management who make the policies and direct what's important and what's not.

As far as ownership, as long as we enjoy WDW and are still saving some money owning DVC contracts we will continue as owners. The difference now is that I don't contact DVD/DVC unless I have to, I realize that DVC is on stage and putting on an act. Their job is to sell timeshares and to provide minimal support to existing members/owners.

DVC Management will get paid approximately 25 million dollars by the owners this year to manage the DVC, that doesn't include the over 12 million dollars paid by owners for member activities like mixers, Disney files, and the association meeting.

The reality is, they will make note of your comment but probably do nothing about it. Why would they, you don't have a say in what DVC does, the rehab selections or the quality of the work or cost. Sadly DVC continues to show us that they care little about service after the sale. The MS phone hold times continues to be a issue so that tells me that they have cut CM's or reassigned them to other functions like "chat" that doesn't do anything other that tell you to call MS or to Membership Magic who is selling members "special events". Resale processing time has increased so they didn't move anyone to that group. :sad2: :earsboy: Bill

A few months ago after a long hold I asked to speak with a supervisor after the cast member was finished helping me. The supervisor told me that longer hold times are related to issues with magic bands (problems getting them set up, and helping members that are not familiar with them). she said the average per call time has increased because of this. I remember my first trip with our magic bands the cast member spent 45 minutes with me getting my Premier passes set up will all of our family members. This makes sense since the increased wait time started about the time Magic Bands were in full swing. I don't think it is fair to blame member services for something that was essentially thrust on them by Disney corporate.

We have been members since 2006 with an average of 4 trips per year. I have noticed no difference in service levels or quality of the resorts. Perhaps you have been a member longer and experienced better service prior to 2006. Also I have noticed that most of the members who I see complaining on these boards have been members for quite a while. The old saying goes "Familiarity breeds contempt".

A few months ago after a long hold I asked to speak with a supervisor after the cast member was finished helping me. The supervisor told me that longer hold times are related to issues with magic bands (problems getting them set up, and helping members that are not familiar with them). she said the average per call time has increased because of this. I remember my first trip with our magic bands the cast member spent 45 minutes with me getting my Premier passes set up will all of our family members. This makes sense since the increased wait time started about the time Magic Bands were in full swing. I don't think it is fair to blame member services for something that was essentially thrust on them by Disney corporate.

We have been members since 2006 with an average of 4 trips per year. I have noticed no difference in service levels or quality of the resorts. Perhaps you have been a member longer and experienced better service prior to 2006. Also I have noticed that most of the members who I see complaining on these boards have been members for quite a while. The old saying goes "Familiarity breeds contempt".

I don't think that in this case "Familiarity breeds contempt", I think that experience and knowledge allows us to see DVC for what it really is.

If MDE and magic bands are causing DVC long phone wait times, I question why do owners have to pay for the programs implementation, the public doesn't?

If DVC knows that the long hold times are temporary, why offer membership magic now and not use those CM's to answer phones instead of calling members at home prior to their vacation trying to sign them up for a paid event or outing?

And why make resale buyers wait even longer for their account to be set up and member ID's issued?

I don't blame MS or CM's I blame the management and executives who decided on not providing better service to DVC owners.

I don't think that in this case "Familiarity breeds contempt", I think that experience and knowledge allows us to see DVC for what it really is.

If MDE and magic bands are causing DVC long phone wait times, I question why do owners have to pay for the programs implementation, the public doesn't?

I've said before that I don't think it's right for MS to be handling those issues and thus members paying for it. But it's cheaper for Disney.

I've said before that I don't think it's right for MS to be handling those issues and thus members paying for it. But it's cheaper for Disney.

And that's my point also, don't get me wrong, we love WDW and our vacations there, I just have a hard time blindly giving Disney dues money without truly understanding how the money is spent. We pay DVC management approximately $25 million per year to manage the DVC. They could be spending $10 million on actual management expenses and pocket the rest as profit. That would give them the incentive to cut the number of CM's answering the phones and to not have additional CM's processing resales or having DVC management at each resort spot checking housekeeping to ensure that the $45 million for housekeeping is getting what we are paying for.

I don't know why anyone would call Member Services for issues with MDE and magic bands when Disney provides a special number to call for those issues.

I was having trouble with my MDE account because of my DVC account. This was in November. Took several phone calls to multiple numbers along with several hours of my time. I think at that time they added an extra extension for members needing help with their MDE and magic bands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter