Not sure what to expect....

Disneyforus

Lover of all things Disney
we are taking our 5 yr old daughter to Disney for the first time. She has some pretty severe sensory issues at times, and often gets dysregulated and over stimulated. So, this is what we’ve planned so far:
We rented a large stroller with a sun shade she can pull down if she needs to get away, I will bring her noise cancelling earphones too, and probably a lightweight blanket she can cover her head. We planned to download movies on our phones for her to focus on while we wait in lines. We plan to be at the parks for rope drop and go back to our resort to swim early afternoon, and then just follow her lead. Our big kids can then go do their own things later in the day. We want to equip her with the best strategies to enjoy her time. She is excited to go and is always open to knew adventures.

Our main concerns are:
When she gets surrounded by too many people, she sometimes will get on the ground and crawl/hide.
She has no sense of personal space, so keeping her from touching others might be challenging.
She triggers into freeze mode sometimes and won’t move.

I’d love any ideas or suggestions.
I had no idea about DAS, or the possibility of her being able to stay in her stroller in line with the sticker.
So now I’m wondering if we should see how it goes first or just get some help right away if approved, and which one would be best??

we are taking our 5 yr old daughter to Disney for the first time. She has some pretty severe sensory issues at times, and often gets dysregulated and over stimulated. So, this is what we’ve planned so far:
We rented a large stroller with a sun shade she can pull down if she needs to get away, I will bring her noise cancelling earphones too, and probably a lightweight blanket she can cover her head. We planned to download movies on our phones for her to focus on while we wait in lines. We plan to be at the parks for rope drop and go back to our resort to swim early afternoon, and then just follow her lead. Our big kids can then go do their own things later in the day. We want to equip her with the best strategies to enjoy her time. She is excited to go and is always open to knew adventures.

Our main concerns are:
When she gets surrounded by too many people, she sometimes will get on the ground and crawl/hide.
She has no sense of personal space, so keeping her from touching others might be challenging.
She triggers into freeze mode sometimes and won’t move.

I’d love any ideas or suggestions.
I had no idea about DAS, or the possibility of her being able to stay in her stroller in line with the sticker.
So now I’m wondering if we should see how it goes first or just get some help right away if approved, and which one would be best??
I would get the stroller tag for sure and since you get that at same place I would save time and try for DAS at that time. you would have it but you could try just using the stroller tag if you want. you will not be able to take stroller in lines without the tag which from what you have said most likely be a fail for your daughter.

Definitely get both a DAS and the stroller as a wheelchair. As the PP said even if you have the DAS, you can try without it, but I definitely would not try without the stroller as a wheelchair tag based on what you said.

Go to gust relation and talk to them about your concerns for her with the line ( good chance they will give you a DAS and a stroller as a wheelchair tag. With the DAS anything that she goes on she will get a return time for ( what every the current wait time -10 minutes when it is your time to ride your group will enter the fast pass line ( the wait can be anywhere from a walk on a 30+ wait but most of the time around 10 minutes ) with the stroller tag you will be allowed to have the stroller on line. Now if you find she does ok with wait that are under lest say 30 minutes then you do not have to use the DAS at all and can just get in line ( you can still use her stroller). I would get a portable charger for your phone since this will be one thing you are using to help her phone battery tend to die really fast at Disney I would see if you can find something that dose not take batteries for her to keep her self occupied ( I use silly puddy in line with me) also make sure you also have head phone for your phone.

Go to gust relation and talk to them about your concerns for her with the line ( good chance they will give you a DAS and a stroller as a wheelchair tag. With the DAS anything that she goes on she will get a return time for ( what every the current wait time -10 minutes when it is your time to ride your group will enter the fast pass line ( the wait can be anywhere from a walk on a 30+ wait but most of the time around 10 minutes ).

This is good advice I just want to mention one thing- in our experience the wait times for DAS are not 10 minutes unless the standby line is 10 minutes.

For example, while we were there in 2017 the standby line for FOP was 4 hours. Therefore we were given a DAS return time that was 4 hours -10 minutes from the time we checked in.

I want to clarify because many people have the idea that DAS is a front of the line pass, and it isn’t.

This is good advice I just want to mention one thing- in our experience the wait times for DAS are not 10 minutes unless the standby line is 10 minutes.

For example, while we were there in 2017 the standby line for FOP was 4 hours. Therefore we were given a DAS return time that was 4 hours -10 minutes from the time we checked in.

I want to clarify because many people have the idea that DAS is a front of the line pass, and it isn’t.
this is what I said wait time -10 minutes I never said it was a front of the line pass. and most of the time if the wait time is 10 minute the CM will tell you to go in the standby line and not give you a DAS

this is what I said wait time -10 minutes I never said it was a front of the line pass. and most of the time if the wait time is 10 minute the CM will tell you to go in the standby line and not give you a DAS

Ok.
You said most of the time the wait was 10 minutes. Maybe that’s not what you meant, but that seems to be what you typed.

Ok.
You said most of the time the wait was 10 minutes. Maybe that’s not what you meant, but that seems to be what you typed.
When you go in the FP line the wait can be anything from a walk on to 30 minutes but most of the time is about a 10 minute wait.

Or you can look at it like So you go to get your return time you wait your time you go back get in the FP line and you wait in the FP line you sometimes the wait is very little almost walk on sometimes you can wait 30+ minutes but most of the time is 10 minutes

I said this so the OP know after he comes back for the return time they will have to wait in the FP line and that wait can be anywhere from a walk on to 30+ minutes but most of the time it is 10 minutes

Thanks everyone! And that is a good point, there will still be a “wait” even when we come back for our return time.
I’m just relieved we have options if we need it. She can do really great at times but I know Disney is pretty stimulating to say the least

Another thought is have her watch videos of the rides before you go so you can get an idea of what she would be most excited about or scared of before you get there. For instance we have found out my daughter will not ride any ride that has a down...such as dumbo or Peter Pan. Knowing ahead of time we know not to do those rides or do rider swap/chicken exit swap and to get fast pass for the rides she won’t do if we know we really want to do them.

Just to clarify: the OP can get a stroller as wheelchair tag, and request a DAS. Based on the daughter's needs, it will morbidly be issued. But it shouldn't be presumed.
Even the stroller as a wheelchair tag is need-based, there is a good chance that it will be needed just like it will be a good chance the DAS will be needed. It is up to the OP to explain why the OP daughter needs to stay in the stroller for the lines just like the OP needs to explain why the daughter need to wait outside the normal line. Neither is just given out to anyone that asks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter