Not sure if I am in the right place

SeattleSuz

Em Eye See, Kay Ee Why Em Oh You Ess Ee!!
I couldn't find a specific Run Disney board, but I found this board.

I think I have finally convinced the hubby (who's a very active personal trainer) to do the 2017 Half Marathon with me. Still not sure, though, since it's the beginning of January (January is his busiest month at work) and he said "Well, if we are going all the way to Florida, we are going to stay for more than just a couple of days".

I have never done a run bigger than a 5K (I did 3 this last spring/summer), so a Half is a HUGE deal for me. And he knows that doing it at WDW would also be HUGE for me as well.

I am unsure on a couple of things though. One being, where would my 8 YO DD hang out while we did the race? And is there a way to find a running buddy for DURING the race? My hubby says my pace is painfully slow and I told him that his pace is painfully fast. LOL

Sorry for the newbie Qs...

I can't help much with your first question since I don't have kids, but I would think you'd have to find a nanny or babysitter to look after her. Leaving an 8-year old child alone in a hotel room for several hours is probably not the best idea. With regard to finding a running buddy during the race, that's easy. There are more than 20,000 people running the half. All you need to do is start chatting with the ones around you. Runners are a friendly bunch, and you can always find people to talk to and run with. People from this board also plan on meeting up in the corrals before the race, so that's an option too.

Disney does offer an in-room babysitting service but I don't have any details. Hopefully someone that has used it will come along or you can ask on the marathon weekend thread.

When the 2017 marathon tread gets started you will probably be able to find someone around your pace to run with. Just start up a chat in the thread about it or start a new thread looking for a running partner at your pace closer to the race in 2017.

I couldn't find a specific Run Disney board, but I found this board.

I think I have finally convinced the hubby (who's a very active personal trainer) to do the 2017 Half Marathon with me. Still not sure, though, since it's the beginning of January (January is his busiest month at work) and he said "Well, if we are going all the way to Florida, we are going to stay for more than just a couple of days".

I have never done a run bigger than a 5K (I did 3 this last spring/summer), so a Half is a HUGE deal for me. And he knows that doing it at WDW would also be HUGE for me as well.

I am unsure on a couple of things though. One being, where would my 8 YO DD hang out while we did the race? And is there a way to find a running buddy for DURING the race? My hubby says my pace is painfully slow and I told him that his pace is painfully fast. LOL

Sorry for the newbie Qs...

I think your best bet for your child will be the fairy godmother service? I think that's what its called. I did a little research on it for our upcoming trip and like all things Disney, it isn't a cheap ordeal. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/child-care-services/ . Your other option I guess would be to bring another adult to join yall on the trip.

You might also consider the Princess Half Marathon in February if January is a problem with work. A lot of men run the Princess with their wives.

You might also consider the Princess Half Marathon in February if January is a problem with work. A lot of men run the Princess with their wives.
With 8 half marathons at WDW and DL each year -- only 2 of which are in January -- you should be able to find something that works with your schedule. -- Suzanne

We ended up taking my sister with us on the last trip to watch our 11 year olds while we ran Goofy. But that may not be an option for you.

Hope you can work things out because runDisney races are great fun!! As mentioned above, there are many opportunities for half races between the two coasts, so hopefully you can find a race and time that works for you.

Sorry for hitting on a tangent here, but I would also note that the Half Marathon distance is a very popular distance for RunDisney events. While there are events throughout the calendar year I would throw a slight note of caution to make sure that once you have picked the specific race you are targeting that you note the registration dates and be prepared to register very quickly. I think most of the Half Marathon spots have been selling out in ~1 hour for most events. The race calendar states the 2017 WDW Marathon Weekend events go on sale to the public at Noon on April 26, 2016, so if that is the race you decide on make sure to mark your calendar.

Not trying to scare you, just noting the unfortunate truth about these races.

Oh wow, so much information!! I told him that some of his other options are the Princess Half and maybe a Tinkerbell run. He wrinkled his nose at those thoughts. After having been to DLR just 3 weeks ago, I am sure he would not want to do one there. I may have to look into this a little more.
I also am thinking of trying to organize some local people to go and do this with us as well, one or two of which may only run a 10K, 5K or maybe even the full. They are all at different times, right? So, if the child care is ridiculous, maybe one of them can watch DD while we do our race?

Oh wow, so much information!! I told him that some of his other options are the Princess Half and maybe a Tinkerbell run. He wrinkled his nose at those thoughts. After having been to DLR just 3 weeks ago, I am sure he would not want to do one there. I may have to look into this a little more.
I also am thinking of trying to organize some local people to go and do this with us as well, one or two of which may only run a 10K, 5K or maybe even the full. They are all at different times, right? So, if the child care is ridiculous, maybe one of them can watch DD while we do our race?
5k, 10k, Half and Full are on 4 consecutive mornings - none falls on the same day.

Ok great, so if we can get at least one other person to go with us who is NOT running the Half, then I will have built in child care. Sweet!

There's also Wine & Dine as well as the Star Wars and Avenger themed races. Lots of options. Although sounds like marathon weekend might be your best bet for options on child care.

There's also Wine & Dine as well as the Star Wars and Avenger themed races. Lots of options. Although sounds like marathon weekend might be your best bet for options on child care.
I think we definitely would like to do one in Florida, as opposed to California, though Cali would be cheaper for us, since we wouldn't have to fly so far.

I might need to google the Avengers races for 2017 though, as I have turned my DH into a bit of a Captain America aficionado.

I think we definitely would like to do one in Florida, as opposed to California, though Cali would be cheaper for us, since we wouldn't have to fly so far.

I might need to google the Avengers races for 2017 though, as I have turned my DH into a bit of a Captain America aficionado.
Avengers 2017 date won't be out for a while however it is in Disneyland and if it maintains the pattern of past years (2nd weekend in November) it will take place on the 9th-12th of November with the 5k on the 10th, 10k on the 11th and 1/2 on the 12th.

Avengers 2017 date won't be out for a while however it is in Disneyland and if it maintains the pattern of past years (2nd weekend in November) it will take place on the 9th-12th of November with the 5k on the 10th, 10k on the 11th and 1/2 on the 12th.
Oh yeah. Good to know that it's at DLR. Hubby is not in any hurry to go back to DLR anytime soon after our recent trip. Boo. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter