not so free cruise

mmcculloch

Mouseketeer
So I can book my incentive cruise on Monday. I called today to find out how much it would be to add a 5th person.

To upgrade...$100 per person ($500 +/-)
The 5th person with out taxes and gratuities for the date we want $1872!

We want thanksgiving week and I understand that we would be paying more than other weeks...but holy cow!:confused3

$1872 for the 5th person? Wow! Usually it gets much cheaper for the 3rd, 4th, etc. Plus $500 right? I understand the $100pp udgrade I guess. Really didn't think the 5th person would be so much though!

We'll be in the smae boat--no pun intended--when we book. I hope the 5th person will at least be cheaper if it's an infant. I sure don't think it's fair to shell out $1800 for a 10 month old. Can't find anywhere where it lists prices for children.

That's what i was afraid of when I was tempted by this incentive. Is this for a 7 night? For those off season dates - you'de be better off just getting a
2nd cabin. I just booked a cruise alone and didn't add on the 200 pts - so I look at is as saving $16000! You should price out a cat 10 price and get a cabin across from your cat 9 and forget the "upgrade".

This is only a 4 night cruise. It doesn't make sense but the women on the phone and I went through the wording of the promo. I am hopping when I call Monday that she was wrong!

So I can book my incentive cruise on Monday. I called today to find out how much it would be to add a 5th person.

We want thanksgiving week and I understand that we would be paying more than other weeks...but holy cow!:confused3

Thanks so much for posting with the info. I can't get very specific information from the DCL website, but it does look like the holiday cruise is WAAAAYYY more money than the week before or after; 4 people in a cat. 4 (what you need for 5 people) is nearly $7,000 that week, but before or after is more like $3,000+. (Four people in a cat. 9, which is what the free cruise is, is about $4400.) When I added a fifth person (child), it increased the Thanksgiving week cruise by about $1000. So, for that date, the amount they want for the 5th person seems like a lot, but the amount they want to upgrade you seems a lot less than it would be for cash. (The difference is nearly $2600, not $500.) So it looks like the Thanksgiving week might be a very special case. Can you pay for the 5th person with points rather than that $1800?

I'd love to hear what other people find out for a 5th person on other cruises (dates or lengths).

Thanks.

As a school teacher tday week is the only week I can book. All the other dates sail out on a Sunday. There is NO WAY I can take the time off. So I am stuck....I have been told I can book a 3 days cruise (sails out on a Thursday) and I would have a bit more flexibility with the dates/time. No fun :confused3

This is only a 4 night cruise. It doesn't make sense but the women on the phone and I went through the wording of the promo. I am hopping when I call Monday that she was wrong!
Have you thought about using the free cruise voucher for 3 of you and paying cash for a second cabin and staying in Cat 9? It might be less than upgrading.

We thought we would take my stepson. He is quite a bit older than my little ones. But we thought it would be fun to bring him. I really don't want to pay more than $1000 for my free cruise :rotfl2: So if it is going to be that $$$ we will go as a family of 4. His consolation prize is a week in BLT MKV in April 2010. I need to chat with DCL on Monday to see what the best options are.

it is pricey - a cat 10 would be $1990 - but that would be less than the upgrade and you'd get 2 rooms (cat 10 is across the hall from cat 9 i believe)

WoW! That's crazy! I agree with KLR. All Seasons Travel has a rate of $1933 on the 11/25 cruise for two people in a cat 11 and $1993 for cat 10 for 2 people. Maybe you could get someone else who wants to go and split the cost of the extra room?

And this is why "incentives" should not be a deciding factor on purchases.. They aren't "Free" and may be next to impossible to use!

don't know anything about the incentives but can you go in the summer? We went twice in August and had a great time! I too teach, so I understand the "limited" vacation time zones we have.

We thought we would take my stepson. He is quite a bit older than my little ones. But we thought it would be fun to bring him. I really don't want to pay more than $1000 for my free cruise :rotfl2: So if it is going to be that $$$ we will go as a family of 4. His consolation prize is a week in BLT MKV in April 2010. I need to chat with DCL on Monday to see what the best options are.

Even though your stepson is the 5th to you, be sure when they are pricing it that you give them the youngest person in the party as the one you pay cash for. For a regular cash cruise, the 5th person pays a lower rate if a child or junior.

Have you considered asking for the developer points instead? It may mean a summer trip (since those have to be used by October 3rd) but would it be more beneficial to your situation.

I too am a teacher so that is what I did since I knew that the dates for the cruise were not going to work with my schedule. We are now staying 5 nights at SSR in August. Just a thought.

Did you ask to change the cruise date to one that is not on the list? Also did you talk to your guide or was it thru member services?

Did you get your voucher to book the cruise? I haven't gotten mine yet. :-(

The promotion was clear that it was for UP to 4 people. 5 people can only fit into a cat 4-- probably why it was so much more. Its like a hotel room that only can hold 4 people-- to go to 5 people requires a suite or a second hotel room.

Jacky

Cat 4 rooms are extremely more expensive than any other non suite room

These are the only rooms thet sleep 5 Z(other than suites)

Man, that is high! There are some unreal deals right now on other cruise lines. NCL has one where kids can cruise for $99.00. I guess it must be the Cat 4. I would try to see what the price difference is for two cat 10 rooms. We are staying in Cat 11 on Deck 7 in Aug, for a 7 day cruise. Disney has the nicest inside cabins that I have ever stayed in. We aren't paying that much PP for 1st and 2nd passenger. I love a balcony as much as anyone else, but not for that much.

I bought at BLT just before the incentive change and I viewed the cruise incentive as a downgrade from Developer points. I just knew that the cruise was not a good fit for us.

I also turned down the free 3 or 5 night 1 bedroom DVC option. We were buying the minimum points which would get us 3 nights in a 1 bedroom DVC. We went with the DPs and are getting 7 nights SSR (studio) and 3 nights DLR Grand California (theme park view).

OP I'd see if you can change your incentives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter