NOT impressed with MyPublisher.com!!

Timon

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
I spent the last few months gathering family photos from this past year and have been making digital layouts of them with the intention of creating a family album as Christmas gifts for my in-laws. I wasn't sure if I was going to print them out myself or what until I saw someone post about mypublisher.com. I checked it out and even though the shipping was expensive to Canada I decided it would look a lot better than if I printed it on my own.

So I downloaded their software, created my book and paid $110 USD for 5 paperback books for my family. My order was shipped in a few days and this past Thursday I received my order via FedEx.

When I first opened them, they seemed a little small and they cut off the sides of some of my layouts, but I was still impressed, the printing came out great and I was happy about them. I looked through one of the books a few times and was still happy, then I looked through that same book for the fourth time and the binding came all apart!!! :earseek:

So then I opened up another book (I left the other 4 in the plastic envelope they came in) and opened the pages almost flat but not quite flat and the binding started coming apart too!!! I was FURIOUS!! These are books that will be looked at over and over and the binding should be a lot stronger!!

I immediately wrote an e-mail to their customer service telling them what had happened and that I was NOT happy and even attached 3 photos to show what had happened.

That was ONE WEEK AGO, and I still have not heard anything back from them! I was mad before but gave them the opportunity to correct this situation and they haven't even bothered to respond!!! Now I am livid!! I checked all my spam folders and junk e-mail even though I put them in my address book but still haven't gotten an e-mail back and it's getting close to Christmas now and even though I have been working on this for months, I probably won't have anything to give to my family at Christmastime now!

Here is the e-mail and photos I sent to them a week ago:

Date of order: November 21, 2005
Order Number: #####
Shipment Received: December 1st

Hello,

I received my order this evening and I am very unimpressed with your binding. After looking at one book for the fourth time, the binding has come apart and the pages are coming out of the book. Considering that these are going to be gifts that people will be looking at many times for many years, the fact that they have come apart after looking at them 4 times is absolutely unacceptable.

After the first book began to come apart, I opened another book and attempted to lay it somewhat flat (not all the way flat) and it too began to come apart at the binding.

After viewing the book the first time I had told my husband that I was impressed with the final product and that the printing was great.

Considering that these are what most people would call "coffee table" books and that they need to be opened all the way to view them, you would assume that the binding would be very strong and would last for many years knowing that many people would be looking at them. I would be very shocked and very unhappy if this was the kind of quality that all your books are made with.

I found your site through an online Disney community forum with over 80,000 registered members and many more non-registered visitors. I have read a couple of reviews about your company and that the quality was very good, which is why I decided to place an order with you despite the ridiculously overpriced shipping charges to Canada (costs more than the book itself!). I would hate to have to post a negative review on those forums for many thousands to read so I am first writing to you to give you the chance to rectify this situation.

I have included photos of the binding so that you can see exactly what I am talking about.

Thank you,

Sincerely,
Catherine #######

mypublisher-book1-1.jpg

mypublisher-book1-2.jpg

mypublisher-book2-1.jpg

Does anyone have any experience dealing with my publisher.com??

I am so sorry this happened to you. They would have to know that a book like that will be opened and looked at a lot. Hope you get a response soon.

I'd call them and if they don't respond please put a hold on your credit card and let the credit card company deal with it.

Sorry they did that. They look nice except for the binding part.

Tina

Yikes! At this point, I'd make a phone call. I know another expense but it might be the only way to resolve this. A person needs to hear your words!

Deb

Oh my Cass, I am so sorry about your books. That is so awful. I too would tell your credit card company to stop payment to that company. Someone should have answered your email immediately if only to say that they got your email and will get back to you when they see what they can do about it. I feel so bad for you. All that work that you put into everything. Keep us posted. Maybe you can make some lunch bag books with a note to exchange it for the real thing when the books gets fixed.

EEK! That's scary because I'm right in the middle of selecting my digi lay-outs to have published and I wanted to use mypublisher as well.

I even e-mailed them last week on a sizing question...they answered me within a couple of hours. You should write back...maybe your e-mail got misplaced. But that doesn't excuse the poor quality! I'm really shocked because I had only heard good things about them...now I'm going to rethink this.

You should bring this up on the digi board at 2peas - maybe someone else has experienced this.

Please keep us updated.

How weird-I looked at the ones I ordered several times with no problems. They're wrapped now, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Luckily I was able to use the buy one get one free code, which helped a lot with the cost. I will definitely call if the two I ordered have that problem!

Good luck Cass...

I did some more research on mypublisher and found this blog about people's experience with mypublisher. Apparently, a lot of people have gone through what I am going through right now.

They do not have a number listed but the writer of the blog has found one. I will call tomorrow and then I plan on returning the books for a refund and perhaps trying out shutterfly.

Their policy on their website states this:

Satisfaction Guarantee Policy
MyPublisher is proud of the craftsmanship of our books and provides 100% satisfaction guarantee against any manufacturing defects. To obtain a refund, all defective books must be returned to MyPublisher within 14 days of receipt.

Please be sure to preview your books carefully before placing your order. Images and text will be printed as they appear in the Preview. MyPublisher does not proofread for, or correct, any such customer generated mistakes.

MyPublisher is not responsible for customer generated mistakes, errors or defects including spelling, typographical or grammar errors; poor image quality derived from low-resolution images, order quantity or other ordering errors.

They had better honour their policy or this is gonna get ugly!

grrrrrrrrr...you must be so frustrated after putting all that work into it!
also put in a complaint with the BBB if you can...mabey they will respond to that.
hope it all gets resolved for you soon!

Thanks for all your support and suggestions! I just wrote them another e-mail.
The first draft was pretty nasty and hubby convinced me not to send THAT one :rolleyes:

This is the one I sent: (I forwarded my previous e-mail)

To whom it may concern,

I wrote this e-mail to your customer service department over a week ago and have not heard anything back from you yet.
This kind of customer service is absolutely appalling! I was waiting for a message from you so that I could return the books and
get them redone. This is no longer the case as I am returning the books and I want a FULL AND COMPLETE refund.

The quality of the binding of your books is horrible. Not only do you overcharge Canadians for shipping, but then you ship an order made with extremely
poor quality. You do not supply a phone number for customer support and do not even reply to your customers who e-mail you.

I will be shipping the order back to you via FedEx tomorrow. If I don't hear back from you by noon tomorrow with an RMA #, I will sending it back without one and expect a full and complete refund nonetheless.

Sincerely,
Catherine ######
Order #######

MyPublisher is proud of the craftsmanship of our books and provides 100% satisfaction guarantee against any manufacturing defects. To obtain a refund, all defective books must be returned to MyPublisher within 14 days of receipt.

I have never had the desire to register at Two Peas since I don't read the boards over there but tomorrow I plan on registering and posting about my experience since I know that site is wildly popular! Not sure where else I could post about it???

I am so sorry that this has happened to you! :grouphug: Your pages look great!

Hope you can get this resolved quickly. I would seriously think about contacting the credit card company if they do not respond back to you quickly. Make sure you keep documentation on mailing the books back as well as any correspondence.

Timon said:
Thanks for all your support and suggestions! I just wrote them another e-mail.
The first draft was pretty nasty and hubby convinced me not to send THAT one :rolleyes:

This is the one I sent: (I forwarded my previous e-mail)

To whom it may concern,

I wrote this e-mail to your customer service department over a week ago and have not heard anything back from you yet.
This kind of customer service is absolutely appalling! I was waiting for a message from you so that I could return the books and
get them redone. This is no longer the case as I am returning the books and I want a FULL AND COMPLETE refund.

The quality of the binding of your books is horrible. Not only do you overcharge Canadians for shipping, but then you ship an order made with extremely
poor quality. You do not supply a phone number for customer support and do not even reply to your customers who e-mail you.

I will be shipping the order back to you via FedEx tomorrow. If I don't hear back from you by noon tomorrow with an RMA #, I will sending it back without one and expect a full and complete refund nonetheless.

Sincerely,
Catherine ######
Order #######

I have never had the desire to register at Two Peas since I don't read the boards over there but tomorrow I plan on registering and posting about my experience since I know that site is wildly popular! Not sure where else I could post about it???
Cass, did you hear back from the company....what a shame - your pages look wonderful!

And I hope you also notified your CC company ..... money talks :rolleyes1

Hi I have made a number of mypubisher books in the past. I did have a problem with one starting to fall apart, but I blamed it on my not so careful DD (4 years old) and the fact that I tried to cram too many pages in a small book (45) How big where your books? It seems like the small paper back ones have a hard time.

I thought about trying a new company, but I know how to work the software for mypubisher. I was just about to start a new book for DH grandmother for Christmas (I know I really need to get on it NOW!) Let us know what you find out.

Yes I did hear back from them. They said they were going to give me a full refund in 2-3 weeks, guess we will see.

Meanwhile, I have order the same kind of book from Shutterfly for about $40 USD cheaper. I will let you know how those turn out.

I have been doing a lot of research in the past few days about publisher. Every kind of bulletin board I have found has a negative post about mypublisher. Mainly it seems to be the soft cover books that people are complaining about. But also the customer service from them. I've read many bad experiences dealing with them, some way worse than mine! About 95 % of the complaints are about the binding, guess I am not the only one to have the books fall apart on them. I've come across several others who have posted photos of their books and the bindings look the same as mine.

My book was a soft cover book with 22 pages, however, it shouldn't matter whether I have 22 pages or 220 pages. They say that they provide high quality photo books and they should deliver. Obviously there is a problem with their soft cover binding and they should be trying to fix it instead of still selling them knowing that a lot of customers are having huge problems with them.

Cass, I looked at the products Shutterfly offers and I couldn't figure out how I could use their books for my digital lay-outs. It seemed all geared towards individual pictures. Did you order full-bleed pages?

I ended up placing my order, because I don't think I had enough time to learn new software to print a new book. I ordered a hard cover book for my DH grandmother. I normally only order the small soft cover books.

However none of my books ever looked like yours. How do you manage that? I really like the backgrounds and all. Your really look great. I use the standarad mypuplisher softwear. How did you make them like that?

I wonder if I should contact them about the book I have that feel apart. It is a few months old though, I don't think I have the receipt any more.

DisneyPhD,

The stuff I got printed are digital layouts I made in Photoshop.

When you get your book, could you post a close up photo of the binding so I can see exactly what kind of binding it is. The one thing I like about publisher is that it is full bleed, which you can't get with Shutterfly.

I will be working on my WDW/DCL scrapbook which I am doing digitally and want to get those printed in a photo book as well but I was thinking of hard cover but Shutterfly's hard covers are only 8x11 roughly and the photos are not as big as the album, there is a large white border around them.

I will post some photos of the shutterfly books when I get them.

Timon said:
DisneyPhD,

The stuff I got printed are digital layouts I made in Photoshop.

When you get your book, could you post a close up photo of the binding so I can see exactly what kind of binding it is. The one thing I like about publisher is that it is full bleed, which you can't get with Shutterfly.

I will be working on my WDW/DCL scrapbook which I am doing digitally and want to get those printed in a photo book as well but I was thinking of hard cover but Shutterfly's hard covers are only 8x11 roughly and the photos are not as big as the album, there is a large white border around them.

I will post some photos of the shutterfly books when I get them.

This will be my 1st hard cover, but I can take a picture of one of an old soft cover one for you.

That is really cool that you can do that in photo shop. I need to look more into that. I have gotten into making digital scrap books for friends and family and vactions and I would love to make them look like yours (minis the binding issue. ;) )

Hi, I got my 1st hard cover book in the mail from them. It is great, DH grandmother is going to love it. Very good quality, no binding problems at all.

The price is more then a soft cover book, but so nice for specail things.

I have had excellent luck posting my concerns at planetfeedback.com - even when I have received no satisfaction directly from a vendor I seem to get attention when using planetfeedback.com

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter