Not Disney related travel: Good airline to Morocco?

skoi

DIS Veteran
I know we have some serious travelers on board here, so I'm wondering if anyone could give me advice. I'll be taking 11 year old ds to Morocco in a few months to do some volunteer work. Any thoughts on which airlines are best? Most people I've talked to have suggested Royal Air Maroc, but is there any reason for not using a European or American airline? I know RAM has a direct from JFK to Casablanca, but other than that, is the airline that much better/cheaper/whatever than others doing the same run?

Thanks in advance

As a starting point, I'd use a travel search web site like orbitz, travelocity, etc. to see what is available and what the fares are. Personally I'd prefer a non-stop if possible. Flying to Europe on a red-eye then making a connection isn't much fun...but it might be a lot cheaper.

Will you be flying economy, business or first? Also what airport are you originating?

Economy.

Domestically, he fly out of Philly, but we've found it worthwhile to take the trip to JFK or Newark for international flights. It seems very expensive to fly from Philly internationally.

I've been looking at all the fare sites. Also looking into humanitarian fares, which would restrict airlines somewhat. We've flown Continental to China and weren't pleased, and Lufthansa to Kazakhstan via Frankfurt, not great either.

Thanks.

Economy.

Domestically, he fly out of Philly, but we've found it worthwhile to take the trip to JFK or Newark for international flights. It seems very expensive to fly from Philly internationally.

I've been looking at all the fare sites. Also looking into humanitarian fares, which would restrict airlines somewhat. We've flown Continental to China and weren't pleased, and Lufthansa to Kazakhstan via Frankfurt, not great either.

Thanks.
I don't find a lot of difference between European and US based airlines as far as the actual seat unless you are a United Airlines elite frequent flyer which would give you access to E+ seating which gives you a few extra inches of legroom.

If you can swing the price of the nonstop from JFK than I say get it and get the flying over as quickly as possible. If you were flying J or F then you open up a billion other possibilities.

When trying to determine the inflight amenities of a specific plane check out seatguru.com

Economy.

Thanks.

If you can wait until tommorow I will call my Brother in law and ask him. He is Moroccan and goes home 3-4 times a year to see his parents. I know he has flown both Royal Air Maroc and others so I can get his opinions.

This is a tad more complicated, but a cheap way to fly business class....

Right now there is a promotion at US Airways where you get 100% bonus on all mileage purchases. You can use those miles for travel on any Star Alliance airline (United, Swiss, Lufthansa, etc). Mileage awards to Africa are rather high but you could book a Business Class award to any European city for 80k miles ($1,030 to buy the miles) and then buy a separate onward ticket to Casablanca.

If you chose to do that I would recommend flying Swiss flight 15 from JFK-ZRH. That aircraft (Airbus A333) has flat bed seats in business while many other transatlantic business class seats are slanted.

Let me know if you would like some additional information on this.

Thank you all. I would've answered sooner, but I wasn't getting notifications.

Still no decision, but all the advice is appreciated.
Julie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter