Norwalk Virus Still on Magic?

disneyfreak1

<font color="blue">Willing to tag for tickets</fon
I am sailing in three weeks and was just wondering if the Norwalk virus is still hanging out on the Magic. Does anyone know?

Remember the Magic didn't have Norwalk, the passengers brought Norwalk aboard and passed it around each other. We sailed in January on Celebrity with no problems. I fear getting sick from fellow airline passengers than getting sick on a ship. I really am dreading our flight with any sickies hacking away or sneezing. All those germs floating in confined recycled air, gross, but I am still going on my cruise, :cool: Kathy

I saw only one incident of upset stomach on the second night on The Magic 2/8. Our seas were rough and winds were strong. We were making up time for an emergency evac about when we were about an hour out of port. I did notice by mid week, a good number of children were exhibiting what I called *kennel cough*. Just a nagging little cough. (Prominent in the WD Theater) As for the plane and germs...within 32 hours of disembarking and our flight home, I came down with the symptoms of the flu and two weeks later am still out of work. Coincidence? I haven't been this ill in 20+ yrs. Just a few thoughts to share.

Originally posted by Laura24
As for the plane and germs...within 32 hours of disembarking and our flight home, I came down with the symptoms of the flu and two weeks later am still out of work. Coincidence? I haven't been this ill in 20+ yrs. Just a few thoughts to share.

We cruised on the Wonder in January. I picked up conjunctivitus (pink eye) onboard, then once we were all home, we all became quite ill with flu-like symptoms. I can't say if we picked it up on the ship or while traveling. I was out of work for about 1.5 weeks.

Peggy

are kept pretty quiet unless you actually see the disembarking. Not sure who or what is was, but we were barely out of port when I noticed we had stopped, and we were being patroled by the CG.

On the 2/15 Magic, can't say it was "Norwalk" but the spa called and left a voicemail cancelling my manicure because the nail tech had a "family emergency". I called back to ask if I could just borrow some polish remover and the girl who answered slipped up and told me the manicurist had been put in quarantine for the rest of the trip. So apparently something is still going around.

I really did not want to post this on these boards, but it is very real. We were on the magic for the 2/1 western and 30 families were said to be disembarked early due to illness. They were refunded for the cruise and given a free cruise to use within the year.

What bothers me is that people obviously got on board knowingly sick,
My party was 3 cabins different levels and totaling 9. We all vigilantly handwashed , used wipes, and none of us got sick. We went on to enjoy a wonderful week at WDW. While at WDW it seemed like every kid there had a hoarse cough, its Feb. and those things just go around in the winter months.

I would never cancel a cruise , I would heighten my awareness of illness prevention and cleanliness.

Besides the disney wipes I kept wet ones antibacterial wipes in my fanny pack , and always used soap and water when it was available, that is the only way to wash a virus away.

There always has been and always be illness on a cruise ship. So dont worry, just live smart!!

I truly believe that whatever was brought on board in the beginning is still hanging around. My DD was extremely ill on the 2/22/03 run as were several others who were quarentined for several days. I know they are constantly disinfecting etc..but it only takes one germ to be carried and passed around to several guests. I think it's going to be a long while before things get back on track.

We were with you sitchu2 on 2/1. I heard the rumor about the 30 families. I'm disturbed hearing families are being able to get off the ship in Cozumel. Think about them getting off the ship to infect others? We're not talking about motion sickeness. What I was curious about was if they were told to leave the ship because they wouldn't take the quarantine? or were they hospitalized?

Family members of mine got Norwalk-like symptoms here. We told them to stay home until they felt better. They had the same symptoms and the seem to have contracted it from a family member who works in a supermarket!

We used the wipes. We had the Purell bottles with us all the time. My family was diligent about touching things and squirting afterwards(Purell!!).

Kim ºOº

The flu shot will not protect you from NLV.

We were on the Eastern Magic back on January 25th and our experience was...there were a few people on board who apparently became ill, but we never saw or heard anything out of the ordinary. In our own group, my husband was fine...I developed a minor cold. Our dd (4) and ds (3) came down with colds/coughs and our son developed an ear infection that cleared up immediately with antibiotics from the clinic. My mom and dad who had the adjoining room (they're in their 60's) were the epitomy of good health! Believe me, they spent plenty of time with their grandchilden but I think their diligence in washing their hands, using wipes, sanitizing kept them perfectly healthy.

So I think there's something to be said about taking precautions. I'm sure the kids were much more susceptible because of the time they spent with groups of children but just like going to school and catching everything, that's to be expected.

Deb

It seems that many people still mistakenly believe that handwashing, etc will keep you safe from Norwalk. While it will certainly help protect you against Norwalk and other viruses, Norwalk itself can and does become airborne when someone vomits. So, if someone vomits in a public space, the virus is in the air. You don't need to touch anything to catch it, just breathing will do the trick. There's an interesting story on the CDC's website about a person with Norwalk vomiting on a bus. I don't remember the exact figures but it seems over 30 people out of 40 became sick because of the exposure. It is highly contageous, the incubation period can be as little as 12 hours so it spreads like wildfire. I don't hold Disney responsible, it's all over the US this year.

I am very much aware that the flu shot will not protect against Norwalk. I was refering to the previous posts of people describing "flu-like" symptoms. From what I have seen in our practice, Norwalk will usually resolve in 72 hours. The description of DIS'ers missing several weeks of work sounds like the flu...which promted my question of the flu shot?

Maybe I will have to carry a painters mask in my pocket from now on to have handy when or if I see anyone puke:jester:

Originally posted by Cindyluwho There's an interesting story on the CDC's website about a person with Norwalk vomiting on a bus. I don't remember the exact figures but it seems over 30 people out of 40 became sick because of the exposure. It is highly contageous, the incubation period can be as little as 12 hours so it spreads like wildfire. [/B]

Can you post a link to the article?

sue

Originally posted by AnnMorin
"Maybe I will have to carry a painters mask in my pocket from now on to have handy when or if I see anyone puke"

No way AnnMorin, then somebody might think you're Michael Jackson and things could get really weird!!!:jester:

SJM
For the life of me I couldn't find the exact page that had the info on the bus incident. I know I directly linked there from the CDC's website page regarding the Disney Magic outbreak. Here is a quote from the CDC regarding transmission:
"Noroviruses are transmitted primarily through the fecal-oral route, either by consumption of fecally contaminated food or water or by direct person-to-person spread. Environmental and fomite contamination may also act as a source of infection. Good evidence exists for transmission due to aerosolization of vomitus that presumably results in droplets contaminating surfaces or entering the oral mucosa and being swallowed. No evidence suggests that infection occurs through the respiratory system."

Actually it's more disgusting than I thought-really graphic and gross, but then so's the virus itself

The url for the website is : http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb...m lovely reading for a Sunday afternoon ;) :

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter