North & South Carolina - top spots?

Sadeesmom

Mouseketeer
In an effort to visit all 50 states before HS graduation, we are planning a family trip over a 5 day long weekend this fall to the Carolinas. We need to stay in both to check them off our list, so I know this doesn't leave us much time to relax. Day one - travel there, 3 days to do stuff, 5th day - travel home. We are not art people - I did a quick google search & came up with the below possibilities. If anyone is familiar with the area & would like to make a suggestion for or against anything (below or not shown), I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

South Carolina:
Caesars Head State Park
Riverbanks Zoo and Garden
Charleston City Market
Hilton Head Island
Myrtle Beach
North Carolina:
Chimney Rock State Park
Hanging Rock State Park
Ashville - Biltmore Estate
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

I was fortunate enough to travel to Kiawah Island when I was a nanny a long long time ago. I remember a beautiful beach with warm, shallow water. I was able to walk out pretty far and only have the water go about chest deep.

What direction are you arriving from?

If you choose the coastal areas, I would have a backup plan to switch last minute to the mountains. Fall is prime hurricane season for the Carolina coasts. (Of course you can get ones that come inland and cause mountain flooding too, but that is less likely).

Personally I would stay in the Asheville, Brevard, or Hendersonville area of NC and Greenville or Spartanburg area of SC. You can find plenty of hiking places, state parks, and depending on what part of fall, you could have some great leaf color.

It really depends on where you're coming from--NC is a very long state, east to west.

If you like beaches, you could do Oak Island and Myrtle Beach--get both states with very little driving in between.

Charlotte, NC is very close to the SC border--DH's cousin actually lives in a Charlotte neighborhood where some of his neighbors are in SC, and he's in NC. I'm looking at places that can limit your driving, since you have only a few days.

BTW, NC barbecue is vinegar-based, while SC 'cue is in a mustard-based sauce. If, like me, you grew up eating a tomato-based sauce, I encourage you to try both and see what suits you.

If you can only do 1 place in each state I would go to Asheville NC then Charleston SC. They are different and unique areas. If you had more time there are many other places to visit but these 2 have a lot to offer for short trips and will make you want to visit again.

Outer Banks. Rented a house in Nags Head with our son, daughter-in-law, and 3 granddaughters back in 2017. Went back last year, just my husband and myself, and rented a condo right on the beach in Kill Devil Hills. Loved it! Going back this year!

Another idea since you only have 3 days to do both states--

Stay in Charlotte NC- there is the White Water Center, Nascar Hall of Fame, or some state parks with an hour drive that have hiking and things to do. You could then travel to Columbia SC to Riverbanks Zoo. It's about 1- 1.5 hours from Charlotte. Or you could go from Charlotte to Charleston which would be ~4 hr drive and have a full day to spend touring that area.

I grew up in Greenville SC so have spent a lot of time in both states. If you can only visit one place in each state I would go to Asheville and tour the Biltmore Estate and take a hike on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and then Charleston SC and tour the old part of the city and visit a beach. You'd get a little of the Carolina mountains and a little of the Carolina low country. Nag's Head, Outer Banks, Hilton Head, etc. are all nice also, but I think Charleston is more unique to SC and Biltmore is more unique to NC. There are cool mountains and beaches lots of places, but you won't find anything much like these anywhere else.

If you go to the OuterBanks which is really an upscale oceanfront/beach area, I believe there are only 2 roads that get you to the island. We drove the southern route during the day and it is a tiny/sketchy bridge that connects you to that area. I wouldn't recommend driving in bad weather or even at night. Wasn't very crowded when we went during the day, but can imagine at peak times you would get caught up in a big traffic jam.

South Carolina:
Caesars Head State Park
Riverbanks Zoo and Garden
Charleston City Market
Hilton Head Island
Myrtle Beach

The Charleston City Market is a glorified flea market. I wouldn't go to Charleston just to visit that place. The USS Yorktown and Ft. Sumter are cool places to visit if you have a whole day.

We live in Charlotte and have been to most all the places referenced here. I would agree with the Asheville and Charleston recommendations. They are both amazing smaller cities with great food, lots of local atmosphere and unique outdoor activities. They are also a straight drive down 26. Riverbanks is a great smaller zoo between the two if that is appealing. NC zoo is also great and totally different - largest by acreage in US.

OBX is neat but is very far from anything else and more a week long destination in my opinion.

I live in Pawleys Island on the coast of South Carolina. Asheville and Charleston are great suggestions -- you get the mountains and the coast (though I'm quite partial to Pawleys Island as the best coastal destination!). If you don't want to drive that much, I'd go Asheville and Greenville, SC. Both are fun, quirky cities with great arts and entertainment scenes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter