nonmember considering renting points from member: any references?

Puffy2

DIS Veteran
I am looking to rent points for a rental next January.

This is the first time I have considered it though and it is difficult for me to hand over a thousand or so dollars to a complete stranger trusting that the reseravation will be valid when I arrive, etc...

Has anyone else rented points?Has anyone had any problems?

Can anyone give me a recommendation , reference or advice?

From what I understand, this sort of arrangement usually works out fine.

I have rented points to others. I don't have any to rent right now, so I don't mind giving some advice.

If you want to get to know someone...read their past posts. As long as the search feature is working, it will give you an idea of what the person is like. You will learn a lot about a person by reading their past posts on this board.

Ask for references if you want to. I have not rented to many people and wouldn't give out their e-mails if asked. But you could tell who I have rented to and if things went well by reading my past posts.

Get the reservation number from the renter before you send a deposit to him/her. Call the resort directly to confirm it. You can not call DVC unless you are a member.

Arrange everything in advance. Leave nothing to chance.

Read Doc's FAQ's on the rent board. It and reading the rental board for a long time is how to get the hang of renting.

And remember the renter is taking a chance on the rentee too. We risk losing points.

Thank you so much Cat.

To confirm a reservation you mentioned calling the resort directly - do you mean 407 W DISNEY (CRO) or different number for each resort?

When you say "arrange everything in advance" - what exactly do you mean?

Should I ask for a written agreement of sorts (that just says I paid and in exchange I have a valid reservation) - do people do this?

If I want a reservation for a BWV - standard 2 bedroom in late Jan
or a Beach Club Villa same, when would you suggest making the reservation ?

OH, and what services come with a rental for a non member? Is housekeeping included? Pool priviledges? Is there any "room service" like at the hotels? How is it different?

Thanks for any an all help!

REntals would be treated just like a member using the points. Pools are included, but housekeeping is every 4th day. Depending on how long you stay, you would have trash and towel on day 4 and if you are staying more than a week, you would have a full cleaning on day 4 and trash and towel on day 8. You can pay for daily housekeeping if you want, just like members would have to do. Usually it isn't necessary since anything bigger than a studio has laundry facilities right in the room. If you stay in a studio, there are free laundry facilities in the pool areas.

To feel more confident about the reservation, ask the member to send you the reservation sheet they will recieve in the mail.

housekeeping question:

So, if we stay for 4 nights - the villa will be clean and stocked with towels when we check in.
Then , they will clean when we check out and that's it - is this correct?

Do we have to clean before we leave?

Thank you. This is helpful.

Puffy2.

If you're staying 4 nights, then I <i>believe</i> you'll get Trash & Towel on day 4 (checking out on Day 5).

You are not responsible for doing any cleaning prior to checking out, though many of us try to "tidy" up to make it easier for Housekeeping, in hopes of enabling earlier check-in times. :)

For example, we strip the beds, and just pile the sheets and pillow cases on the beds, then put all the towels in tub.

We'll empty the fridge, and bag up all the trash. We normally load and start the dishwasher, though I've heard conflicting reports about whether or not Housekeeping will run them again, anyway..

I've rented points once for my parents (when I didn't have any left!), and have rented points to someone on this Board once, also. We've never had any problems with rentals!

Have a great time!

Thanks everybody,

One more question:

Let's say I rent points at $10.00 each - is that all I pay for the reservation or are there other "fees" or taxes, etc... that I have to consider?

There would ordinarily be no extra fees unless you request full mousekeeping or lots of extras (towels, soaps, etc). There are no hotel taxes since you are not renting a hotel room.

The only other thing which I can think you would have to pay 'extra' would be the tips for mousekeeping, bell services and valet drivers depending on where you stay.

Hope this helps,
Joe

This last February I rented points from a member. They sent me the reservation sheet they had gotten from the DVC. I sent a check for the points. There were NO other charges. You don't even have to pay a tax on the room. I really enjoyed the stay at the BWV and the whole thing worked out fine.

Puffy2

You are welcome.

On the reservation sheet that you get is the direct phone number of the resort. You could probably look it up in a AAA guide or phone book. Call that number with the reservation number to confirm.

When I said to get everything set in advance I meant, payment plan, what if you have to cancel, when you need to send the money, personal check or money order. Stuff like that.

You will have a written agreement when you get the confirmation statement in the mail. It will have your name on it. The other stuff that I mentioned above you will have probably by e-mail written from the renter. I have never heard of anyone signing anything

Have someone make the reservation as early as possible. A DVC member can do it 11 months in advance of check out time. You will in all likelihood be able to get a standard view room at the BWV at the 11 month window. Other rooms you should try to secure before 7 months out. Doing that makes for a greater chance of what you want being available. At 7 months DVC members can make a reservation at any resort, not just their home. The only bad thing about making them at 11 months is you will pay full price to rent the points. But you will get what you want.

Yes you can get room service just like at the hotels but the really cool thing is you can have a meal like breakfast in your room and save big bucks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter