Non-park visit: first time back to CA since 1992

mexicandave662

Earning My Ears
Ok, so the Mrs. and I will be taking a very short trip to SoCal from October 25th until the 26th. I'm going to take her to some of my childhood places and eventually we will end up at one of the hotels along the borders of the DLR. Right now I have us booked at a king suite and the Portofino. Is there something better in that price range that's walking distance? Heck, a view of the parks would be just as awesome.

Right now the plans are as follows: land at 1:45pm and head to the rental. The stops will start in Santa Ana at my grandmother's old residence, from there I plan on taking her to In-N-Out, as she's never had it before. Then we'll be headed to Memory Lane and from there we'll bounce on up to Ontario for a handful of stops in Ontario and Upland. I then plan to take her back down to Newport Beach, hopefully before sunset, so she can say she's been to both coasts. After that, I was wanting to end up back at the hotel and then walk over to DTD for some food and to at least show her the esplenade for the parks. Will we be able to walk from DTD to the entrances of both parks? The last time I was there, DCA was a parking lot, as was DTD. Do you think these plans are doable? Our flight leaves at 8:40 in the morning, so I'm trying to get as much in as posssible. I'm not too worried about being tired, as I'll be "on leave" during Octboer, so I can rest when we get back home.

Let me know what you guys think! I'm super excited, as it's been 30 years since I was 'home' in California. This is going to be an emotional trip, even for a robot like me. We're planning on going back out there in 2024 for a 2 week vacay.

Last edited:
I love driving down memory lane! It’ll be fun!

Just make sure to allow for plenty of drive time and traffic. For LAX to Santa Ana to Ontario to Newport Beach to Anaheim (at 3:45pm on a Wednesday) Google has that at four hours with current traffic. Of course that’s just drive time without any stops.

It is totally doable, but just be prepared to deal with rush-hour traffic since you’ll be driving on a weekday, it’ll probably mean dinner later in the evening.

Edit: and yes, the entrance to both parks at the esplanade is right at one end of DTD. No problem at all to visit. It’s right there! There’s a World of Disney store at DTD so you can get plenty of Disney Magic feel with a visit to DTD.

I love driving down memory lane! It’ll be fun!

Just make sure to allow for plenty of drive time and traffic. For LAX to Santa Ana to Ontario to Newport Beach to Anaheim (at 3:45pm on a Wednesday) Google has that at four hours with current traffic. Of course that’s just drive time without any stops.

It is totally doable, but just be prepared to deal with rush-hour traffic since you’ll be driving on a weekday, it’ll probably mean dinner later in the evening.

Edit: and yes, the entrance to both parks at the esplanade is right at one end of DTD. No problem at all to visit. It’s right there! There’s a World of Disney store at DTD so you can get plenty of Disney Magic feel with a visit to DTD.

Lol, I meant the real Memory Lane. My best friend used to live in the Islander Apartments, so that's gonna be one of our stops.

Haha. I thought you just meant visiting old familiar places! Either way it’ll be great to reminisce!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the next trip so we can bring the kids and show them everything. I was born and raised in SoCal until I was 14, so one day isn't enough to even scratch the surface.

Personally I’m not a big fan of Portofino, I think it’s a bit tired. Not sure what your budget is but have a look at Anaheim Islander Inn, free parking and continental breakfast is included in the room rate. Or Desert Palms Hotel and Suites which is closer to the Harbor entrance but parking is about $26. Alpine Inn is another good option with free parking but the rooms are smaller.
All of these options would be as close or closer to the Harbor Entrance vs Portofino.

Personally I’m not a big fan of Portofino, I think it’s a bit tired. Not sure what your budget is but have a look at Anaheim Islander Inn, free parking and continental breakfast is included in the room rate. Or Desert Palms Hotel and Suites which is closer to the Harbor entrance but parking is about $26. Alpine Inn is another good option with free parking but the rooms are smaller.
All of these options would be as close or closer to the Harbor Entrance vs Portofino.

I was checking out the Alpine Inn. As for budget, I know I'm not spending less than 150-200 for a night with it being where it's att plus being California. I just don't want to spend too much because we're only going to be in the room for a matter of hours. Thanks!

I was checking out the Alpine Inn. As for budget, I know I'm not spending less than 150-200 for a night with it being where it's att plus being California. I just don't want to spend too much because we're only going to be in the room for a matter of hours. Thanks!
Anaheim Islander would be my first choice at that budget. It was on their website for $140 plus fees earlier but I can’t seem to get their website up atm.

Sounds good… and maybe it’s the crazy Disney in me (I’m sure it is), but can’t you just go INto Disneyland for a minute?!?

You’ll be soooo close. I think I’d cry if I were that close and wasn’t going in
Just one ride and a corn dog?

I tried to talk her into it but she doesn't want her first time to be without the kids. So you know how the old saying goes, happy wife happy life...

If you're already going to be in the area, I'd recommend a stop at Porto's Bakery. Amazing desserts but also a very good cuban sandwiches and potatoes balls. Plus there is one near Disneyland (10 minute drive) which is also next to Knott's Berry Farm, which might be another location you might want to show her if you have time. Best of luck, sounds like a great trip!

Portos.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the next trip so we can bring the kids and show them everything. I was born and raised in SoCal until I was 14, so one day isn't enough to even scratch the surface.
Oh man, I got chills reading this. I also moved away when I was 14, and I did a nostalgia trip in 2019 that eventually turned into major homesickness and prompted our family to relocate! We move to San Diego in August (close enough to fam and friends, but far enough to still be us.) So: BEWARE. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter