Non-drinkers?

poohbear luvs grumpy

Mouseketeer
I know that we are not the only couple that chose to not drink but how do you handle it? I get a little tired of constently being asked if I would like a drink. I am accustomed to the strange looks I get when the drink is free and I refuse it but I do get tired of it.

It didn't seem to be a problem for us. They didn't come around too much at the pool, except the first day. We said we didn't drink the first night at dinner, and it was never asked again.

I know that we are not the only couple that chose to not drink but how do you handle it? I get a little tired of constently being asked if I would like a drink. I am accustomed to the strange looks I get when the drink is free and I refuse it but I do get tired of it.

We're not drinkers, and in many cruises have never ever had a problem. We always genuinely thank the person who offered, tell them we aren't drinkers, and they have always responded nicely. As always, treat them with respect (don't be mad they asked, appreciate their being there if you needed them) and you'll get it back.

Never been the slightest problem at all.

Guess I'm not sure where you are coming from. We don't drink much alcohol, but rarely felt out-of-place. At meals, we order our preferred non-alcoholic drink and/or water. In a bar or lounge, I have no problem ordering a soda or something to sip. Around the pool, just said "no thanks." I certainly didn't feel pressured in any way.

My husband doesn't drink, but I do occasionally. Never had a problem with someone trying to sell us wine or a drink that would "make a sale" and when we declined they would smile and find out what we did want. Our table servers quickly discovered what my hubby tended towards and would ask if he wanted his iced tea, or lemonade or whatever.

I don't remember anyone offering us *free* drinks like the original post stated... I was obviously in the wrong place! :rotfl2:
Maybe you mean the servers at the sail away party or the specialty drinks... those are all $$ drinks you pay for and not free.

We were always kind. Politely said no thatnks we don't drink. I respect they were doing their job. We never had a problem at dinner but, any time we were at the pool or at any activity we were asked often if we wanted a drink. I know we were asked more often than others because we didn't already have a drink but I was to the point that I would have bought a button that said NON-Drinker because we were, albeit kindly, asked every five minutes. I don't expect them to remember everyone's face but I was asked multiple times by the same CM's.

You will be asked, by many different servers around the pool, in lounges, in the theatre pre show, in the dining room, etc.

It is not forced upon you but there are many different servers that service the same area so you may be asked more than once by a different server. We just politely say no thanks when we do not want a drink.

MJ

The free drinks I was referring to was minimal and that was at a DVC meeting but we were given very questioned looks when we said no thank you.

We were always kind. Politely said no thatnks we don't drink. I respect they were doing their job. We never had a problem at dinner but, any time we were at the pool or at any activity we were asked often if we wanted a drink. I know we were asked more often than others because we didn't already have a drink but I was to the point that I would have bought a button that said NON-Drinker because we were, albeit kindly, asked every five minutes. I don't expect them to remember everyone's face but I was asked multiple times by the same CM's.

You don't have to order alcohol from the walking servers... my husband was always ordering soda in cans from the servers as he preferred that over the fountain stuff. As soon as you did want a server to come by... I'm sure there wouldn't be any!
: )

I'm not 21 yet, but when I am with my parents, plenty of people ask if they would like something to drink. The servers on DCL were never forceful, they would take the no thank you, and generally would say have a nice day and walk away. Never much of an issue. pirate:

The only time I recall the servers asking quite a bit was during bingo, which was held in a bar. We were drinking so they did seam to come by every few minutes too see if we wanted a re-fill.

Maybe you could just order a virgin cuba libre??:rotfl2: (only Big Bang Theory fans will get this)

I am not a big drinker either. We bring our own wine and beer to enjoy in our stateroom after DD falls asleep for the night. We found that on DCL they are not pushy at all. I think it's because they are so family friendly and it wouldn't be responsible for them to get parents drunk when they are looking after their kids. That being said we really didn't go to the bars late at night. When we get asked I thought of it more as the crew trying to provide excellent service and making sure people are being offered a drink. I have never been pressured to purchase, they just simply move on to the next adult. Usually by a couple days they realize we aren't big drinkers and stop asking us lol.

Thank you. I always forget that not everyone likes or chooses to drink alcohol. We often will buy a bottle of wine for the table at dinner and offer to everyone. I will pay more attention this coming trip and see if anyone is a non-drinker and have the staff bring something fun and non-alcoholic if appropriate.

And I second what the other person said. Just because you are asked if you want a drink, it doesn't immediately imply alcoholic. They can bring cokes and waters and non-alcoholic drinks to you poolside.

Thank you. I always forget that not everyone likes or chooses to drink alcohol. We often will buy a bottle of wine for the table at dinner and offer to everyone. I will pay more attention this coming trip and see if anyone is a non-drinker and have the staff bring something fun and non-alcoholic if appropriate.

And I second what the other person said. Just because you are asked if you want a drink, it doesn't immediately imply alcoholic. They can bring cokes and waters and non-alcoholic drinks to you poolside.

Can I request to be at your table??
:rotfl:

My DH doesn't drink because it has negative reaction to his medications. A couple we are good friends with don't drink because of their religion. And another set of very good friends don't drink because one has addiction issues... the reasons go on and on. A smile and a no thank you very much is all that is needed. Your offer of wine is lovely, and to follow up with an offer of a non-alcoholic drink would be extra kind. Everyone is on VACATION... it could be worse.

We don't drink either, but we weren't offered drinks that often.

We told our servers on the first night that we don't drink, and were never offered any for the remainder of the week, and the few times we were asked out on deck or Castaway Cay, we just politely said we don't drink.

It really wasn't a problem at all.

Tiger

They hit pretty hard the first day for the packages and offers to get beverages. After that it tends to die down. At the theater, they ask the first couple of days and after that we are left alone. But, i don't make eye contact either. It would really be a ruff job pushing beverages like that. They are just doing what is required of them.

At the shows or games, they put a napkin upside down if you don't want served. Carry your own napkin and put it out if it bothers you.

Don't let it get you worked up.

I'm sure it gets annoying after a while, but my feeling is, if the worst thing that happened to me is that I'm sitting by a pool, on a beautiful cruiseship, and I'm being asked too often if I want a drink: I'm doing pretty well! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter