NO Vet Procedures At Rafiki's Until Mid-June

We laugh that it's a fake setup because we've never seen anything happening other than a CM stirring something or doing paperwork.

A few weeks ago I saw them giving an MRI to a vulture for her foot. They brought her to the main window to perform surgery. I didn't stay for the whole thing, but they were definitely doing procedures with a real animal. It was interesting.

Too bad they won't have procedures for a while, but I guess refurbs have to happen.

A few weeks ago I saw them giving an MRI to a vulture for her foot. They brought her to the main window to perform surgery. I didn't stay for the whole thing, but they were definitely doing procedures with a real animal. It was interesting.

Too bad they won't have procedures for a while, but I guess refurbs have to happen.

Guess we always have bad luck. We've stopped going, I don't need a petting zoo and it eats up too much time.

Guess we always have bad luck. We've stopped going, I don't need a petting zoo and it eats up too much time.

I think they only do them in the mornings and only on certain days. I don't think the schedule is published anywhere. I just got lucky. I learned that that vulture, a Ruppell's Gryphon, can fly higher than any other bird, over 37,000 feet! That's like higher than an airliner's typical cruising altitude. Crazy!

I think they only do them in the mornings and only on certain days. I don't think the schedule is published anywhere. I just got lucky. I learned that that vulture, a Ruppell's Gryphon, can fly higher than any other bird, over 37,000 feet! That's like higher than an airliner's typical cruising altitude. Crazy!

Oh thanks, I'll be sure to dwell on that the next time I fly. :crazy2:

We have also seen a couple of procedures done here. One of them was a fish from the tank at the Living Seas. The funny part is we had dinner there the night before and right near our window was a fish that we didn't think was doing very well and it looked like the same one having the procedure! Haha.

When we went a few years back - I planned it for a Wednesday morning (I think this is when folks in the know suggest). We saw a gorilla laid out getting a checkup :) Pretty cool.
Actually Wednesday is the day they usually DON'T do any procedures.:)

The title of the thread is a bit misleading. There WILL be procedures, just not where guests can see them.

We got to see them working on a native/local turtle that had a damaged shell after being struck by a car. They told us at that time that a large portion of the work they do is on native/local animals that are brought in vs. Disney "owned" animals

The title of the thread is a bit misleading. There WILL be procedures, just not where guests can see them.
The thread title does cover the significant part of that, no public procedures. I'm sure they do a lot of procedures that a guest can't see, even when the public area is open

Even though I am surrounded by vets and veterinary procedures here on the farm I am always fascinated by the vet work done there.

We ran into a big crowd out there a couple years ago and found out that we just missed a gorilla birth!!!
We'll that's pretty big! How exciting! You got to figure like any other job, there's not something happening at every moment. If you see workers behind the glass doing nothing that's because nothings going on. They can't manufacture precious creature moments every day. Just arriving on the cusp of a gorilla birth seems awesome! :)

We were able to see a flamingo have a tumor/cyst removed on our 1st trip in 2008. While on tram to parking lot at HS on the night before we were heading to AK, a young CM who worked at AK got into a conversation with us and our DD(5 at the time) who mentioned wanting to be a vet. The CM told us to head to RPW before noon to see vets working. She was enthralled, and got to meet Pocohantas and see Push the talking trash can as well out there. (DD now 13 is currently shadowing our vet and applied to our local specialized high school for Allied Health so still on track!)

Also just because there won't be any procedures at Rafiki's until mid-June doesn't mean it is not worth hopping on the Wildlife Express.

You never know what you may see at Rafiki's!lol:)

9315294627_c24ab450f9_b.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter