No more incentives left for staying at Disney hotels

NightGuardianAngel

Mouseketeer
There really is no incentives left in staying at the Disney hotels anymore. Free magical express, extra magic hours, free magic bands, fastpass plus (booked 60 days in advance if staying at a Disney hotel which gave you first dibs on everything in the parks), free parking at Disney hotels for guests, etc. have now all faded into the oblivion. Might as well just stay at a nearby Motel 6 and get an Uber. Disney hotels now charge for parking in addition to the room rate. I sure miss the good old days. I sure wish I can borrow Emmitt Brown’s (Doc’s) Delorean time machine and travel to the year 2015 and book a vacation to Walt Disney World hotels to savor and enjoy the magic of yesteryear. I would be like “Great Scott!!!”. One good thing about Motel 6 is they will leave the light on for you.

Last edited:
There really is no incentives left in staying at the Disney hotels anymore. Free magical express, extra magic hours, free magic bands, fastpass plus (booked 60 days in advance if staying at a Disney hotel which gave you first dibs on everything in the parks), free parking at Disney hotels for guests, etc. have now all faded into the oblivion. Might as well just stay at a nearby Motel 6 and get an Uber. Disney hotels now charge for parking in addition to the room rate. I sure miss the good old days. I sure wish I can borrow Emmitt Brown’s (Doc’s) Delorean time machine and travel to the year 2015 and book a vacation to Walt Disney World hotels to savor and enjoy the magic of yesteryear. I would be like “Great Scott!!!”. One good thing about Motel 6 is they will leave the light on for you.
I knew all of this except no free magic bands? Really? You pay for them? If you don’t want one do they give you a room key?

I knew all of this except no free magic bands? Really?
Yes, really.
You pay for them? If you don’t want one do they give you a room key?
And yes, you pay for all MBs now, even the boring solid gray one.

You can still get the plastic card called a KTTW or Key To The World card free. Just ask at your resort's front desk or at Guest Services.

If you have a smartphone, it can do a lot of the things a MB does.

I think it's all a matter of perspective. When Walt Disney World first opened, there were none of those incentives. We stayed at WDW hotels from the start because we love being immersed in the Disney magic and the proximity to the park (at that time MK only) and now parks, depending on the resort. So it depends on your perspective. I know a lot of people feel the way that you do. I get it. I miss many of those things as well. But I guess that to us it was never about the incentives as much as it was proximity to parks and other amenities and to be immersed in Disney at a Disney resort. The good thing now, 50 years later, is that you do have a ton of excellent choices offsite as well, so choice is always good if you feel that onsite hotels are no longer what works for you.

I do agree and have been talking about this with my husband and even mom. I grew up spending so many family vacations in Disney---and my kids have done the same leading up to the pandemic. We are staying on property this summer. However, from that point forward we have plans to take the kids and explore places outside of Disney and it's mainly because of the costs having been driven so high. I feel like Disney nickels and dimes you for every single little thing. If we ever go back, we won't stay on property because, what's the point? There aren't any advantages anymore and to be honest now that we have kids who don't need mid-day naps anymore, I value the extra space to spread out that off property locations can provide as a much more affordable cost than anything on property.

We still stay on property but mostly just because to me it's part of the experience and more fun than staying in some rando chain hotel off-prop. But it's easy for me to say because it's just me and my wife, no kids, so far less costly.

I will say though I don't blame anyone for staying off property if for not other reason than how expensive the hotels are, but as long as people keep shelling out the money and booking those rooms, the costs will stay high.

I think if you're a large family, the way to go are some of these highly themed AirBnBs. Seriously, if you haven't seen some of these things, do a YouTube search and check them out. Some of them are insanely well themed and can hold like 20 people.

this is one of the arguments where it is a personal preference of course. For the last 25+ years my family has been staying at a Disney property (or a Universal property) never staying outside of those respective bubbles. I am in touch enough to realize that i could save a massive amount of money if i chose a Marriott hotel or in your example a motel 6.
I'm also in touch enough to realize that yes, Disney did remove about 98% of the perks and are still charging the same (AND MORE) for less.

But...as corny and cliché as it sounds, there's just something 'magical' about staying at a Disney resort-and we don't travel with children. My significant others' first choice is ALWAYS a Disney hotel (he only went to Disney for the first time in 2017 with me.)
But for me it is a nostalgia thing, much like Disney is in general for a majority of parkgoers.

The bus ride back from a park late at night where everyone is sleepy and quiet Disney music is being played during your ride.
Checking into your room and going to bed to the sound of the Disney info channel on an endless loop
Standing in the food court and hearing the chatter of families and children
The hotel grounds of your respective hotel with piped in music, statues of characters (depending on the resort), and the overall atmosphere of a Disney hotel.

Note: all of those things and any others that come to mind are about atmosphere and nostalgia and a lot of people would read this and say 'i'm not paying an arm and a leg for ATMOSPHERE' which like....i understand wholeheartedly. but for me, it's worth it and not a topic of discussion when we are choosing to stay.

I like staying on property for the transportation to the parks and the feeling of being in the "bubble" but I also think the resorts are way overpriced for what you're actually getting. They're overpriced to a point where I don't blame people for staying offsite whether that be at Universal, an Airbnb or somewhere else. Quincy from Allears recently did a resort tour of the Contemporary and she had a theme park view room that was around $1200 a night. Looking at the actual room and ignoring the location and fireworks viewing, there is no way that it's worth $1200 a night. Also I know they're suites that can sleep up to 6 people but Art of Animation being close to $600 a night and not including a full kitchen is not worth the value even with the Skyliner. Even the non suite rooms fluctuate between $195-300 a night which is not worth it for what is a Disney themed motel.

Not to do a Universal comparison but the premier hotels have way more value at the moment. They include free unlimited Express pass, 1 hour early entry and merchandise delivery back to your resort (which Disney still hasn't brought back yet). Even resorts like Cabana Bay, which are priced similarly to a value like All Stars and Pop, have way nicer rooms and more on site amenities.

Last edited:
One thing that you can't get anywhere else you stay outside the Disney arches, avoiding Orlando traffic. That's worth a heck of a lot to me. Now, there are a few non-Disney owned properties inside that "bubble" but the transportation option is one place that Disney has it in spades over everyone and everything else. As long as they have buses to go from point a to point b, we will stay at their hotels. I'm not driving in Orlando traffic or riding in it either for that matter

We are also Universal pass holders and stay there each trip too. Premier hotels only there. While we are massive Hard Rock fans, and stay there enough that they know us and we know many of the staff there too, they are still not the same family feel as are regular Disney resort families. The feel is different and it's not something you can really describe exactly. It's a vibe. We love both but they are not at all the same.

As far as the atmosphere and the Disney music go, I can put on a pair of air pods and listen to the music from my phone and watch Disney plus movies and be “immersed” in the magic even to the point in falling asleep while a Disney movie is streaming on the room tv at the Motel 6 for a lot cheaper than paying $600 to a whopping $1,200.00 or more per night. Plus, you can still walk through the hotel and resort lobbies and enjoy the atmosphere, see the decorations, enjoy live music, listen to all the music that is piped into the hotels, and reserve and dine at the restaurants in the hotels and still use the free on property transportation to get to the hotels without renting a room there (few things such as the pool, fitness center, and computer room is reserved only for hotel guests who have a room at that hotel). In fact, I dined at Chef Mickey’s in the Contemporary Hotel without a room there or at any hotel after taking the monorail from Magic Kingdom to the Contemporary Hotel. This just me personally, but it is whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:
As far as the atmosphere and the Disney music go, I can put on a pair of air pods and listen to the music from my phone and watch Disney plus movies and be “immersed” in the magic even to the point in falling asleep while a Disney movie is streaming on the room tv at the Motel 6 for a lot cheaper than paying $600 to a whopping $1,200.00 or more per night. Plus, you can still walk through the hotel and resort lobbies and enjoy the atmosphere, see the decorations, enjoy live music, listen to all the music that is piped into the hotels, and reserve and dine at the restaurants in the hotels and still use the free on property transportation to get to the hotels without renting a room there (few things such as the pool, fitness center, and computer room is reserved only for hotel guests who have a room at that hotel). In fact, I dined at Chef Mickey’s in the Contemporary Hotel without a room there or at any hotel after taking the monorail from Magic Kingdom to the Contemporary Hotel. This just me personally, but it is whatever floats your boat.
So you magically transported have from your off site hotel to the Disney property? I4 is 7th layer of h e double L

Understandable! Which is why those hotels on the idrive aren't hurting for business.
But, disney hotels are filling up too so there are people on both sides of the spectrum (i.e. you and me)

Like i said in my initial post, and just like much of life, the accommodations for my vacation are a personal preference. If i want to waste my money at a Disney hotel because that is what brings me joy, then that's my own decision.
If you want to save the cash and experience a motel 6, that's your prerogative.

Its like comparing economy class flights to the first class flights on older planes, you know the ones that only have three or so rows with ever so slightly wider seats but not the bells and whistles of a United Polaris lay flat bed. While i don't understand why people pay for first class on THOSE flights where the seats aren't MUCH better, that is their decision and they will spend the money as they see fit. They would argue that being closer to the front of the plane and being able to get on first is worth the money.

Just like i purchased the overpriced not so scary ticket for my upcoming trip in October-I'm going to assume that to those that do purchase the tickets you are going to say 'you can just trick or treat at home, and watch hocus pocus on the TV'

Understandable! Which is why those hotels on the idrive aren't hurting for business.
But, disney hotels are filling up too so there are people on both sides of the spectrum (i.e. you and me)

Like i said in my initial post, and just like much of life, the accommodations for my vacation are a personal preference. If i want to waste my money at a Disney hotel because that is what brings me joy, then that's my own decision.
If you want to save the cash and experience a motel 6, that's your prerogative.

Its like comparing economy class flights to the first class flights on older planes, you know the ones that only have three or so rows with ever so slightly wider seats but not the bells and whistles of a United Polaris lay flat bed. While i don't understand why people pay for first class on THOSE flights where the seats aren't MUCH better, that is their decision and they will spend the money as they see fit. They would argue that being closer to the front of the plane and being able to get on first is worth the money.

Just like i purchased the overpriced not so scary ticket for my upcoming trip in October-I'm going to assume that to those that do purchase the tickets you are going to say 'you can just trick or treat at home, and watch hocus pocus on the TV'
It is what fits you personally. As for me, I would rather buy an economy class ticket especially if the flight only last an hour or two and save the extra money for more luxury accommodation at my destination vs paying a lot of money for business or first class tickets if I can only enjoy it for a couple of hours. Same thing with Motel 6, especially if I take an Uber one time to the Disney park and stay the entire day then take another Uber on the way back to the hotel and only go to the room just to bathe and sleep. I could use that extra money I saved to dine at fancier restaurants. There is no one size fits all and it is based on how much you have and are willing to spend and your own personal preferences. The most wonderful thing about the incentives before the pandemic, such as the free Magical Express (plus they took care of your luggage at the airport and brought it to your room along with the free transport from plane to hotel), plus I would even give them a tip, extra magic hours, free magic bands (which you wear around your wrist and never have to worry about losing it especially on the rides etc,) is it made the Disney properties a lot more magical and special and it made it more all inclusive which, in my opinion, actually made it more worthwhile to stay in the Disney hotels and is what set Disney apart from everything else. Unfortunately, now all that is just a thing of the past.

Last edited:
We do this a lot. Love AKL, stayed there once and it was great, but also nice to save thousands and just visit the resort, hit the public viewing areas, eat at a restaurant, listen to a drum circle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter