no more free appetizers?!!

misstinkk

its misss tink = ) im new
ok i may be a little behind but last time i went to WDW the DDP included appetizer, entree, and dessert. Now i just found out there is no appetizer anymore??? im really upset about it! I love appetizers and i dont no how i didn't know about this!

Yep, they took off the appetizer a couple of years ago. You also have to pay the tip yourself now. We always go during free dining so it's still a great deal for us. :thumbsup2 But I don't know if I'd pay for the plan now.

I was annoyed with the appetizers being taken off, but the gratuities where the biggest difference for us. Apps I can do without, but adding in tips adds a whole other tier to our budget....$10-15 per meal minimum gets a little bit spendy! Still a good deal, but I also don't know that I'd pay for DDP again.

Appetizers and tips have not been included in the basic plan after 2007.

There is now a deluxe dining plan that includes appetizers; also more meal credits - and costs more. (It does not include tips)

There's also a strict rule that if you are on the basic plan, you cannot trade your dessert for an appetizer.

We're taking advantage of free dining in October. My first time ever doing any dining plan.

We just don't care so much about dessert. In our normal restaurant dining:
- our family almost always orders at least one app
- we often order ONLY apps to have lots of variety to share
- for dessert, we usually just order one scoop of ice cream for DD4

So, I'm looking at this dining plan as something new... a change of pace... we'll try lots of desserts!

Of course, it's true that probably won't eat much of the desserts we try, and those apps are certainly going to be hard to resist splurging for...

There's also a strict rule that if you are on the basic plan, you cannot trade your dessert for an appetizer.

A waiter at the Contemporary told me that they have been "lobbying" to allow this because so many people ask about it. I think that would be GREAT! Sometimes you just feel like an app and don't want dessert.

Never gonna happen - if they allow it, then half the party will order appetizers, the other half desserts, and they'll share. Part of the reason for removing the appetizer was to speed table turnover on the (vastly popular) basic dining plan by eliminating a course. Disney wants you to pay extra if you want all three courses.

What you might see instead are more three course fixed menus like the ones they offer at Le Cellier, Captain's Grill and Chefs de France, where if you're on the basic plan you can have an appetizer included if you're willing to settle for a cheaper entree.

Never gonna happen - if they allow it, then half the party will order appetizers, the other half desserts, and they'll share.
Plus, it would discriminate against solo diners.

Yep, they took off the appetizer a couple of years ago. You also have to pay the tip yourself now.

I got the Deluxe Dining plan the only time I used the Dining plan - and it was right after they made the switch. I went with the DxDDP, not because I wanted the appetizers, but because our trip was in January - and I wanted to make sure that as much was paid for in advance as possible.

I ended up spending a lot more than I thought I would for my one dinner drink and tips - and an expense I wasn't expecting, never having eaten at other resorts before...taxis! It's one thing to say "we'll take the bus to the MK and the boat to the WL" 3 months in advance...it's quite another when you're running late, and your ADR's in 30 minutes. Or when you come out of Boma at 8:30 at night, after a long day at the parks, sleepy & full - suddenly taking that taxi waiting right there in front looks a lot better than waiting on a bus to take you to DTD (or somewhere else) and then another bus back to your resort.

But I'm ready for December. I hope.

OP: Those changes were made over 2 years ago. You still get dessert:thumbsup2!

I'd love the option but Nala is right. People would abuse it so it won't work. Unless everyone at the table had to order one or the other. Decided at the start of the meal or on booking the meal. Typically apps are more expensive too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter