No more concierge hot room service breakfast?

If the so called negativity is getting to you, don't read these threads or posts. It's a discussion board about Disney cruises- all aspects positive and negative will be discussed. Just because you don't think it's a big deal doesn't mean the feelings of others are less valid. You have a choice. If it bothers you or doesn't apply to you...scroll on by. Simple solution to a non-issue. ;)
I think it is totally valid to critique DCL, but I think it is also valid to draw a line and question if it is really something Disney should be criticized for. When DCL started repeating shows such that they went from three shows on a 3 night to 2, that’s a big difference in my view (it might not have been for others and they could post that too). The boards are here for expressing opinions and I’m expressing mine: I think this has been blown way out of proportion, and it is a picky and insignificant thing to complain about. I could just as easily say you don’t want people to disagree with you, don’t post here.

Concierge upcharge has never worked that way; the perks have never added up to the price difference. I mean, with that attitude you could complain about anything—you could say if I am paying that much more I should have my own private concierge pool or have access to the spa rainforest room or have free palo meals, or reserved seating in the walt disney theatee. I think there are very few people whose decision to sail in a suite is going to turn on the type if in-room breakfast available, and I think it is total speculation to say all kinds of concierge benefits are at risk of being eroded (especially since it is not clear that is the case here given the room type issue).
Still following this thread since we are a little over a week from our cruise. If the issue was the difference between the the Cat T and V then no big deal just looking for clarification.

You are re-enforcing the point I was making earlier in the thread but from a different angle. All or most all of what you list in the post above are things that other lines are providing for their concierge or suite guests. So at DCL’s cost markup the benefits are already lagging. We did a cruise on another line for less than the price of a DCL comparable itinerary. What we got for a slightly lower price was not even close - 2 more nights, larger room, dedicated restaurant, lounge and sundeck for suites, reserved seating, unlimited specialty dining, unlimited drinks, unlimited laundry (huge bonus there!), and more. So tell me again how losing a perk, even a small one, is not a trend to be watching. Even guest in non-suite concierge are impacted. If a 7 day Eastern Oceanview is $2673 and a similar sailing on another line is $1061 why pay for the more expensive product? If all the little perks start disappearing can anyone justify the $1600 difference.

While we like the Disney product and the DCL Line experience, it is getting harder and harder to justify. Will people still pay, yes. Will we still cruise with them, yes, but not as much as we might have planned.

I think this has been blown way out of proportion, and it is a picky and insignificant thing to complain about. I could just as easily say you don’t want people to disagree with you, don’t post here.

Well, ok then. Thanks for clearing that up for all of us. :rolleyes:

Still following this thread since we are a little over a week from our cruise. If the issue was the difference between the the Cat T and V then no big deal just looking for clarification.

You are re-enforcing the point I was making earlier in the thread but from a different angle. All or most all of what you list in the post above are things that other lines are providing for their concierge or suite guests. So at DCL’s cost markup the benefits are already lagging. We did a cruise on another line for less than the price of a DCL comparable itinerary. What we got for a slightly lower price was not even close - 2 more nights, larger room, dedicated restaurant, lounge and sundeck for suites, reserved seating, unlimited specialty dining, unlimited drinks, unlimited laundry (huge bonus there!), and more. So tell me again how losing a perk, even a small one, is not a trend to be watching. Even guest in non-suite concierge are impacted. If a 7 day Eastern Oceanview is $2673 and a similar sailing on another line is $1061 why pay for the more expensive product? If all the little perks start disappearing can anyone justify the $1600 difference.

While we like the Disney product and the DCL Line experience, it is getting harder and harder to justify. Will people still pay, yes. Will we still cruise with them, yes, but not as much as we might have planned.

I think in this case it is just a difference in category - I thought about trying to upgrade to a V at the port as a treat to myself if I could afford it, but when I learned that I could not get better room service in the room (hot meals from the MDR any time of day) and of course lose any of the advance booking capability by doing it at the port... I really could not see the point of upgrading to the same size room with different decor and upgraded finishes and a very few (at that point) perks... I am CC gold and should be able to book what I want to on my own so basically it's a lounge with food on a cruise where there is already more food than I can possibly consume, free cocktails (which I can buy as I consume them with the savings) and earlier boarding than I want to do anyway. The suites are out of my price range but I had entertained trying for a V until I realized the most interesting perks were not included in that category.

BUT I 100% agree with those who would find it troubling, whether I could afford concierge or not, if ANY concierge perks were rolled back at all. IMO Disney never starts by taking lots away... they test the waters and see if anyone notices first. Take away hot breakfast in concierge, a year later they take away continental in regular rooms and then suddenly what used to be included for all is a perk for concierge and everyone loses. I have always read the lack of hot breakfast and full dinners in V was due to not having a table and chairs. that said, I would totally eat a palo souffle in my pajamas sitting on the couch if I could and not feel slighted in the least but I think they want to control the experience of dining more tightly than that - ie if they can't make it a fine dining experience, they are not going to do it at all.

When this thread first started I was concerned since we will sail concierge for the first (and probably last) time in April. The hot room service breakfast was probably in the top 5 reasons why we were willing to pay more to sail concierge. If they took it away we wouldn’t cancel, but I would be seriously bummed. Our family likes to sleep in on vacation and me and DD love to eat room service breakfast in our pj’s while watching the morning show. It is one of our favorite cruise traditions. But my husband is a runner and the regular room service breakfast isn’t enough for him so he would always leave to go to cabanas. We are looking forward to finally being able to all eat a hot breakfast together in the room.

I don’t know where this rumor started but it sounds like it might have been a misunderstanding about benefits for Cat V vs. Cat T. Either way it’ll be fine, but it would actually be a disappointment if we couldn’t do this. When I get closer to sail date I will be asking shoreside concierge what the deal is.

We actually prefer the Western to the Eastern, so the change made us happy.

We didn't even try to order breakfast due to different people waking up at different times, so I don't have an answer to that question.

The concierge hosts were Michelle, Tawanda, and Andy, but apparently DCL is about to start moving people all over the place.

Tom was our stateroom host on the 125-- side.

We were neighbours on this cruise! We were in 12510. Tom was great. I must have chatted with you in the lounge at one point or another.

Just so I am following this thread- when people say “hot breakfast” are they referring to items that would usually be made to order such as eggs, waffles, etc.?

Just so I am following this thread- when people say “hot breakfast” are they referring to items that would usually be made to order such as eggs, waffles, etc.?
Yes. A perk of sailing in a suite (so not Cat V,) is that you can order breakfast from the restaurant menu and get eggs, pancakes, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter