No more bunk beds @ AKL & WL?

justafigment27

DIS Veteran
Have bunkbed rooms been eliminated? I was planning to book a bunk bed room for 2020 @ WL, but couldn’t find any. So, I looked at AKL and it was the same thing. I checked multiple dates - they are listed as a bookable category, but not available.

I’ve searched and see that it was rumored that they were going away at WL, but haven’t seen any confirmation.

I was looking for dates in early January and saw a Nature vw bunkbed room at WL, but none at AKL.

I was looking for dates in early January and saw a Nature vw bunkbed room at WL, but none at AKL.

Huh. I wonder what's up. I looked for our trip dates in March/April and there were none available. So, I plugged in a bunch of random dates going forward from that and they don't show up. At first, I thought maybe they just weren't loaded into the system or something, but then I started researching and saw they were eliminated with a refurbishment at the Grand Californian and that they were rumored to be going away at WL, so I started wondering if maybe it's a Disney wide thing. I guess I wouldn't be surprised ... they are more work to maintain than just two queens.

Think they have been planning this for some time, we booked in April 18 for this October (UK free dining), bunk bed room AKL, a month after we booked got a call from the TA, can't give you the bunk bed room any more as they are phasing them out (AKL in this refurb, no idea about timings for WL), would you like two twin rooms for the same cost, when I stopped chewing their arm off at the elbow I said yes, :D anyway they are getting rid of them.

I was having the same issue!! Kids will be disappointed but I get why they are phasing them out. Thanks for the info!

Looks like they may be converting some to King bed rooms (?). I don't recall the option to explicitly book King room at AKL in prior years but when I checked for Feb 2020, they had it as a booking category and seemed to have quite a few. I'm positive it used to be just a request.

I'm kind of hoping they do the same at WL. We like it there and want to go back but the rooms both there and at AKL are a little smaller than what we're used to at BC/GF and you do get a bit more elbow room with a king bed instead of 2 queens.

I was told by my source that WL and AKL would be doing away with bunk bed rooms.
Were they not that popular and that’s why? We have an only child so it’s not a big deal to us but it probably was cool for families with 2 kids.

I'm positive it used to be just a request.
Yep. Used to be, King beds were only a bookable category at the Moderate resorts.
Were they not that popular and that’s why? We have an only child so it’s not a big deal to us but it probably was cool for families with 2 kids.
Also probably popular with parties of four where two of any age refuse to share a bed. Easier than bringing an air mattress :)

We are booked in a bunk bed room at WL for 12/19-12/23 and when I went to look into the new discounts, there were still bunk bed rooms available.

We got a free upgrade once at WL to a bunk bed room. It was nice because our two girls are nine years apart in age and they like their own bed. We were not excepting the free upgrade but it was neat set up we had never had before.

There's not a lot of them and I think they are still a very popular category. I know it is for us, we watched for one to become available for a weekend for over 2 months - and this was 7 months before our trip. I have heard they were phasing them out, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to us. They work amazing for the 4 of us.

There's not a lot of them and I think they are still a very popular category. I know it is for us, we watched for one to become available for a weekend for over 2 months - and this was 7 months before our trip. I have heard they were phasing them out, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to us. They work amazing for the 4 of us.
if bunk is needed try a cabin at Fort Wilderness as they have bunks

Think they have been planning this for some time, we booked in April 18 for this October (UK free dining), bunk bed room AKL, a month after we booked got a call from the TA, can't give you the bunk bed room any more as they are phasing them out (AKL in this refurb, no idea about timings for WL), would you like two twin rooms for the same cost, when I stopped chewing their arm off at the elbow I said yes, :D anyway they are getting rid of them.
You... chewed out your TA over this?

Liability imho.

Pretty sad about this. I was excited when I saw the bunk bed rooms at AKL, but then it said "This room type is unavailable for the dates, party size or offer selected." Our two kids would have loved them!

Keep trying they just may already be booked for your dates. They might be phasing them with the refurb, but it’s the slowest moving refurb ever.

We have a WL bunk bed room in mid-January for marathon weekend. (I love my besties, but at home my toddler shoves his foot in side every night and want a glorious bed all to myself on my adult vacation!)

Have bunkbed rooms been eliminated? I was planning to book a bunk bed room for 2020 @ WL, but couldn’t find any. So, I looked at AKL and it was the same thing. I checked multiple dates - they are listed as a bookable category, but not available.

I’ve searched and see that it was rumored that they were going away at WL, but haven’t seen any confirmation.
Don't recall

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter