No Illuminations Fri/Sat Sept 8/9

studiojmm

Mouseketeer
I thought I had our park picks and dining plans all figured out and then realized that, according to the September travel agent calendar I downloaded, Illuminations isn't scheduled for our Epcot evening which would be Fri. We had been planning to be back at Epcot for most of the day Monday, but our flight is that evening, so we wouldn't be staying past afternoon. Changing our park and/or travel dates is possible but before I do, I just wanted to get group think on this: definitely cancelled those nights? Thoughts?

I thought I had our park picks and dining plans all figured out and then realized that, according to the September travel agent calendar I downloaded, Illuminations isn't scheduled for our Epcot evening which would be Fri. We had been planning to be back at Epcot for most of the day Monday, but our flight is that evening, so we wouldn't be staying past afternoon. Changing our park and/or travel dates is possible but before I do, I just wanted to get group think on this: definitely cancelled those nights? Thoughts?

Sept. hours and events are not yet finalized.
What you see now are preliminary hours and events.

We are still 4-5 months away from accurate listings.
Not a good way to list things, but that's how Disney now does it.

:welcome: to the DISboards, studiojmm!

Hmm. I didn't think Illuminations was EVER off the schedule (unlike occasional nights without Wishes). Maybe on a horrible stormy night it has been cancelled (although I've watched it during a thunder storm). What does anybody else think? Have you been to Epcot when Illuminations was intentionally unscheduled?

I wouldn't worry too much about it myself at this time.

Hmm. I didn't think Illuminations was EVER off the schedule (unlike occasional nights without Wishes). Maybe on a horrible stormy night it has been cancelled (although I've watched it during a thunder storm). What does anybody else think? Have you been to Epcot when Illuminations was intentionally unscheduled?

I wouldn't worry too much about it myself at this time.

I LOVE Illuminations and have never seen it not on the schedule. And I have seen it during rainstorms and even once in the snow. OP - I'd say during your timeframe, ink in Illuminations for 9:00 PM.

Good to hear these are just preliminary hours, etc! We are heading to WDW for the 2nd and 3rd weeks in September and were surprised to see the Magic Kingdom park hours ending at 9pm/10pm most evenings including weekends! Hopefully we'll get some extra late nights in there for the weekends when it comes a little closer.

It is probably just because they usually extend Friday and Saturday to 10pm close and 10pm Illuminations ROE during Food and Wine.

I've seen Illuminations go off in all sorts of weather and was one of the unfortunate CMs to experience the 1st ever cancellation for weather/technical difficulties that anyone could remember back in 2012. The most recent and only other true cancellation with no notice I've seen was this year. Illuminations is the most consistent of all the night time shows.

I also see that there aren't any nights that the MK closes at 7pm that first full week in September... I had assumed due to the 7pm close on Aug 25th & Sept 1st that MNSSHP was going to start then, but would it be possible something else is causing the park to close early those days?

It is probably just because they usually extend Friday and Saturday to 10pm close and 10pm Illuminations ROE during Food and Wine.

I've seen Illuminations go off in all sorts of weather and was one of the unfortunate CMs to experience the 1st ever cancellation for weather/technical difficulties that anyone could remember back in 2012. The most recent and only other true cancellation with no notice I've seen was this year. Illuminations is the most consistent of all the night time shows.

In doing research...
I find this is very ODD.
The links are to the historical Sept. hours as posted by the very host website of the DISboards-

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/hours/sep15.cfm
(Sept. 25-26, 2015 list late Epcot closings/IllumiNations.)

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/hours/september16.cfm
No Epcot closings/IllumiNations other than 9PM in Sept. 2016.

As I said, ODD.

Last edited:
In doing research...
I find this is very ODD.
The links are to the historical Sept. hours as posted by the very host website of the DISboards-

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/hours/sep15.cfm
(Sept. 25-26, 2015 list late Epcot closings/IllumiNations.)

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/hours/september16.cfm
No Epcot closings/IllumiNations other than 9PM in Sept. 2016.

As I said, ODD.

They are starting Food and Wine super early this year. Last year (and previous years) it was mid to late September. This year Food and Wine starts in August so that is why I think it is just Food and Wine scheduling stuff.

With that said I hope they don't close at 9 and then make an after hours event on Friday and Saturday for fieworks and food. Now that I've typed it I think it could be that since they have been doing more and more of these parties. I would imagine they could do these "special" events during the first few weekends to try and maximize profits during the festivals 2 busiest days each week.

When I was at Epcot last December and there was a really hard downpour, I asked one of the CMs if Illuminations would be cancelled and she said it was only closed during a hurricane. I still decided to skip it that night. I was going to get wet enough going back to my room.

When I was at Epcot last December and there was a really hard downpour, I asked one of the CMs if Illuminations would be cancelled and she said it was only closed during a hurricane. I still decided to skip it that night. I was going to get wet enough going back to my room.

Modified show script: "Good evening. We've gathered here tonight under our ponchos, as tourists in Florida have for tens of years..."

disneyworld.disney.go.com is now updated for those nights with 10 pm Illuminations.

Good info. Thanks!

Remember that these are still very tentative hours, overall.
Keep checking as the dates get closer.

I also see that there aren't any nights that the MK closes at 7pm that first full week in September... I had assumed due to the 7pm close on Aug 25th & Sept 1st that MNSSHP was going to start then, but would it be possible something else is causing the park to close early those days?

Thursday, September 7th is a 7:00pm close at Magic Kingdom. My fingers are crossed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter