• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No Dining Rotation Request??

missyoh8

DIS Veteran
I called DCL yesterday to request a dining rotation and they said they do not do that. We did request last year through our travel agent and did get what we wanted.

Does anyone know if we can call another number, or, fax, or email our request? We booked directly through DCL this year.

Help!

Missyoh8

We had our TA (Costco) put in a request for main dining since only late was available in March for our Aug cruise. We got changed this week. I found the change when checking our online registration on DCL website. If you can't get it changed before you sail, you can change onboard the first day. I believe you make the dining change request at Rockin Bar D.

Good luck.

I tried e-mailing a request yesterday (didn't want the folks at work to hear me call, even though I was on my lunch break -- they think I'm an insane overplanner). Haven't heard anything back yet, but will let you know if I do.

missyoh8 said:
I called DCL yesterday to request a dining rotation and they said they do not do that. We did request last year through our travel agent and did get what we wanted.

Does anyone know if we can call another number, or, fax, or email our request? We booked directly through DCL this year.

Help!

Missyoh8

LOL! Just another example of the "reliability" of DCL CS at the 800#. :rolleyes1 Yes, call the same number back & you can make a request. They do not guarantee it and you may not get it...but they can note you resie.

We had our TA call DCL and request a specific dining rotation. They told her that they cannot guarantee we will get our request but that it is notated.

Call again. I think this is yet another example of what one CM says may differ from what another will say.

OK... just to clarify they did the request for the "earliest late seating" (wow that sounds confusing). But they wouldn't put in the rotation request.

I will call back tomorrow and see what I get as feedback. I should have known already about getting conflicting information as we have been on a
displaced hurricane cruise and know all too well about the inconsistencies at the 800 number.

Thanks you guys,

Missy

missyoh8 said:
OK... just to clarify they did the request for the "earliest late seating" (wow that sounds confusing). But they wouldn't put in the rotation request.

Thanks you guys,

Missy

Then they did do it. You can't request a time & a rotation. It is one or the other. They are the same on all the 7 day cruises, and there is a different one for the 3 & 4 day. I believe that the 8 pm late seating is APL.

You can request a specific time, but they won't guarantee it.

We requested 6 and we got 5:45 and that was with one of the disers in the Walt Suite.

I think they are trying to do the rotation times with ages of the families. For instance, if you have all little ones, they might put all the families with littles ones at the same time. That is my thought on it.

You could always try to change it after you board. I know sometimes they can't change it right away since they have to wait for an "opening" from someone else wanting to change.

musicgirl said:
. . . We requested 6 and we got 5:45 and that was with one of the disers in the Walt Suite. . .

Walt Suite guests deserve better!

Woody

Yep, you would think that the Walt would get their choice, but since it was only 15 min. earlier, we decided to just leave the dining as it was. We had 3 families linked, and we figured it would get too complicated.

They have always tried to group dining room rotations (which now translates to dining times) based on the age of the children. And the policy has long been that they will note it on your reservation and "try." If you don't like what you get, you can always go to "Dining Changes" after boarding and request a change. Again, they will try to meet your request at that time. Technically, except for a few special situations, they don't allow you to choose a rotation.

Personal opinion, I think the whole issue of a "good" or "bad" rotation has been overdone on the boards. In 14 Magic cruises, we've had everything possible. Yes, it was neat to be in Lumiere's on formal night and Parrot on tropical night. However, tropical night doesn't exist any more, and being in Animator's on formal night doesn't make or break my cruise.

Hakuna Matata...and have a wonderful cruise.

kcashner said:
They have always tried to group dining room rotations (which now translates to dining times) based on the age of the children. And the policy has long been that they will note it on your reservation and "try." If you don't like what you get, you can always go to "Dining Changes" after boarding and request a change. Again, they will try to meet your request at that time. Technically, except for a few special situations, they don't allow you to choose a rotation.

Personal opinion, I think the whole issue of a "good" or "bad" rotation has been overdone on the boards. In 14 Magic cruises, we've had everything possible. Yes, it was neat to be in Lumiere's on formal night and Parrot on tropical night. However, tropical night doesn't exist any more, and being in Animator's on formal night doesn't make or break my cruise.

Hakuna Matata...and have a wonderful cruise.

I agree. We got our request last year, however our cruise was changed from Eastern to Western and therefore all of the reservations were wrong anyhow!

The year before that we had only 5 out of 7 days so by the time we got on the boat we did not really give a hoot about rotation............at that point it was all relative!

I just figure it is always worth a try to get exactly what you want and then if you don't just roll with it. However, now that I have more of a grip on how they do the staggered dining I would rather have my specific time request rather than specific rotation.

If I have a few drinks on deck, I don't really care (or notice) which restaurant we are in on what night! :joker:

Thanks.

Missy

ITA that now the time issue is an important one. Our DIS group is requesting the LAP rotation due to the 6 pm dining time for the early group. This will put us in PC for both formal nights on our DD but none of us care about that. The 5:30 time just isn't as good with kids. We would all be late on semi formal night since the kid's DSeaU show is 5-5:30 and the line to check the kids out of the club is very long then you have to take the kids back to the room to get them dressed for dinner. Hmmmm...I wonder how DD would look with her hair up in curlers tucked under that Mickey ear grad hat? :)

lbgraves said:
ITA that now the time issue is an important one. Our DIS group is requesting the LAP rotation due to the 6 pm dining time for the early group. This will put us in PC for both formal nights on our DD but none of us care about that. The 5:30 time just isn't as good with kids. We would all be late on semi formal night since the kid's DSeaU show is 5-5:30 and the line to check the kids out of the club is very long then you have to take the kids back to the room to get them dressed for dinner. Hmmmm...I wonder how DD would look with her hair up in curlers tucked under that Mickey ear grad hat? :)

I've read that they usually give families with younger kids the APL and PLA rotations, barring any requests. If that is the case, it surprises me that they don't change the DSeaU show to 4 or 4:30. Nobody will make the 5:30 or 5:45 times if their kids are in the show!

What is a dining rotation? We are doing our 1st cruise next year. Any tips or pointers for a newbie cruise passenger? Thanks!

I am certain someone else will add to this but here you go for a definition of

Dining Rotation-allows guests to sample a different themed restaurant every night. The ship has 3 dining rooms that you will rotate through, eating at all of them 2 times and 1 of them 3 times (on a 7 day voyage). They are Animator's Palate, Parrot Cay, and Lumieres. So you get the order of what dining room to go to first, second, third once you board the ship. So rotation just refers to what your order of dining rooms is. Therefore you will hear people say "we have A-P-L" which would mean Animators, Parrot Cay, then Lumieres. It's a pattern you follow for your cruise.

DCL has also started staggered dining times as well. For example early seating is either 5:45, 6:00, or 6:15. Apparently this is associated with your particular rotation as well.

Hopefully that made sense.

Missy

missyoh8 said:
I am certain someone else will add to this but here you go for a definition of

Dining Rotation-allows guests to sample a different themed restaurant every night. The ship has 3 dining rooms that you will rotate through, eating at all of them 2 times and 1 of them 3 times (on a 7 day voyage). They are Animator's Palate, Parrot Cay, and Lumieres. So you get the order of what dining room to go to first, second, third once you board the ship. So rotation just refers to what your order of dining rooms is. Therefore you will hear people say "we have A-P-L" which would mean Animators, Parrot Cay, then Lumieres. It's a pattern you follow for your cruise.

DCL has also started staggered dining times as well. For example early seating is either 5:45, 6:00, or 6:15. Apparently this is associated with your particular rotation as well.

Hopefully that made sense.

Missy
Thanks Missy, that helps a bunch!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter