No Deed? And Bonnet Creek?

marathonmommy

DIS Veteran
Two questions for those well versed in DVC:

1. Is it true that you cannot deed your DVC ownership? Meaning, if I buy it and croak, it goes back to Disney and my kids get squat? Can you put it in your kid's name?

2. Does anyone know anything about Bonnet Creek (I think that is what it is called)? My sis went to a timeshare tour with Fairfield Resorts. She was told that there is a new property inside Epcot's gates that they own but not part of DVC. Apparently, this company was given the property for laying out DVC's point plan. (They were told this buy the guide.) Fairfield Resorts can be deeded (she was told.)

:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy:

Number 1: You can pass it in to your heirs.
Number 2: That piece of property has been in dispute for 25 years. The legal stuff was settled over the last few years and Disney lost. Hence the new non-Disney resort.

I am sure others can answer your questions must better than I can. But I thought, you could leave the remainder of your contract to your children (or add their names to it??). DVC is not deeded forever like other properties, but lasts until 2042 and 2056 (I think) depending on your home resort. Bonnet Creek resort is in the EPCOT vicinity but not at all inside the gates of EPCOT. It is close to Caribbean Beach Resort. To me, it would be more like staying at a DTD resort vs. a Disney resort. Nice but definitely not the same.

marathonmommy said:
1. Is it true that you cannot deed your DVC ownership? Meaning, if I buy it and croak, it goes back to Disney and my kids get squat? Can you put it in your kid's name?
DVC ownership is a deeded lease. You get a deed. You can leave your DVC ownership to your heirs. And you sell your ownership (or your heirs can do so if the ownership has passed to them).

However, in 2043 (or 2054 in the case of SSR), your ownership reverts back to Disney. Your lease has ended.

marathonmommy said:
2. Does anyone know anything about Bonnet Creek (I think that is what it is called)? My sis went to a timeshare tour with Fairfield Resorts. She was told that there is a new property inside Epcot's gates that they own but not part of DVC. Apparently, this company was given the property for laying out DVC's point plan. (They were told this buy the guide.) Fairfield Resorts can be deeded (she was told.)
If your sister was told that Fairfield "was given the property for laying out DVC's point plan," she was told a lie.

The Bonnet Creek Resort tract of land on which the Fairfield Resort is located (and which is supposed to include other resorts eventually) was never owned by Disney. Walt Disney was unable to buy it. It was owned by an Asian investor for decades. There was no effort to develop the land until a few years ago.

The Bonnet Creek Resort property is surrounded on three sides by Disney property. The access road to the Bonnet Creek Resort starts on Disney property, and the Bonnet Creek Resort is close to Epcot -- but if the Fairfield salesperson said that the resort is "inside Epcot's gates" (or even inside WDW), then that's another lie. Just like Marriott's Orlando World Canter or the Gaylord Palms, the Bonnet Creek Resort is a conveniently located off-site property.

Fairfield was not "given the property" for laying out DVC's point system. The Fairfield property is not, nor has ever been, owned by Disney. It is surrounded by Disney on 3 sides and a major highway on the other. Disney had to grant access to the property through their road system. Bonnet Creek owners are not considered "on-site" by Disney. No resort delivery, no Extra Magic Hours, Disney Transport or on-site room charging privileges. They are treated like any other off-site timeshare.

DVC resorts are built on a long-term ground lease from WDW, All resorts revert back to Disney in January 2042, except for Saratoga Springs, which reverts in 2054. Until that time, if you pass away, the DVC ownership is part of your estate and may be "willed" to anyone you wish.

By 2042 Old Key West will be 50 years old, and no doubt, in need of a major rehab/replacement.

In "forever deeded" resorts, like Fairfield, the owners, or their heirs, would be responsible for the costs to demolish and rebuild, or fully rehab the resort (assuming it would need it after 50 years). DVC just reverts to Disney and they can do with it as they see fit.

Agree with everything Horace said (except the contract end dates are 2054 for SSR and 2042 for all others.)

With regard to the salesperson lies: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl: What a load of crap!

As Horace said, Disney wanted the land for years but was simply unable to acquire it. End of story.

Also bear in mind that Fairfield guests are NOT considered on-site Disney guests when it comes to things like using WDW transportation (Fairfield has its own), charging priviledges on your room key, package delivery to the room, admission to Extra Magic Hours, and so on. As much as Fairfield would like to pass-off the resort as being synonymous with a Disney resort, that couldn't be further from the truth. Bonnet Creek IS just down the road from Caribbean Beach, Boardwalk, MGM and Epcot, but the comparisons end there.

Your DVC ownership can be willed to your heirs until such time as the contract expires (2042 for all properties except SSR which is 2054 I think).

Bonnet Creek is insidw WDW propety but not inside Epcot. I believe it is a Marriott timeshare. or maybe it's Fairfield. In any event, yes it is inside the gates of WDW, but not inside Epcot.

Actually, the access road to Bonnet Creek is located "inside the gates" of WDW property, but the resort is built on property that is not, nor has ever been, owned by Disney or any of its operating companies.

All true.
There is a Disney 'sign' pointing to Bonnet Creek. The resort is adjacent to CB and you can see CB and walk to it and potentially use the bus system from there . The buses from Bonnet Creek arent Disney.
The resort is pretty. The suites are large (the one bedroom is bigger than OKW's and there are no studios.) I liked the lobby area a lot and the furnishing in the rooms a lot. I'd say that it felt more 'Disney' than DTD resorts and maybe a little less so than Dolphin or Swam. You don't get any of the Disney perks. But you can look out your balcony and see the fireworks and it 'feels' very Disney.

Fairfield MAY have started POINTS as opposed to weeks. If that is true (and I was told it was) then I guess one MIGHT say that Fairfield gave Disney the IDEA of its points system. But it paid for the land. the old Asian guy just did NOT want to sel to Disney. I think maybe his heirs finally sold to Fairfield. Disney had to give Fairfield access cause Fairfield couldn't get an exit ramp off the interstate. I was told Fairfield 'gave' Disney something in addition to money. They are planning a golf course there...and I don't know if that is a completely 'private' venture or not...I do NOT believe it is Fairfields.

I would definitely exchange a studio BWV standard or OKW for a 1 bedroom Bonnet Creek, just to see what it was like. I doubt I'd give up any more points than that tho. Again, it is the next turn after CB, it feels Disney, it's pretty...but there is just something special about that WELCOME HOME!

best option is to wait two yrs and buy a Bonnet Creek resale for 60% off

We stayed at the Fairfield Daytona Ocean Walk in May and went on the Timeshare Tour.

Definately Bonnett Creek is a Fairfield Resort and is officially on Disney property but NOT inside the gates of Epcot!

It is right beside Disney's Caribbean Beach hotel.

We went to see the resort when we stayed at OKW and it is really a very nice property. The main buildings built now are nice but they are building several highrise type building and I think it will be just too much when it is done.

The main reason we were turned off of Bonnett Creek was because of the spotty bus transportation to the parks. You also have the feeling you are not really at Disney when you are there.

Funny what all the sales people tell you but the guide at Fairfield in Daytona told us a farmer owned that land and died and said in his will that his kids can sell the property to anyone BUT Disney!!

Sounded good at the time but I don't know how true it is.

You can buy Fairield points in general resale for 1/4 or less of the original price and trade into Bonnett Creek if you like that resort.

Disney Fanatic said:
....Definately Bonnett Creek is a Fairfield Resort and is officially on Disney property .....
NO, Absolutely, it is NOT on DISNEY property.

It is on a tract of land owned by Fairfield, not by Disney. That particular tract of land is land-locked, being surrounded by Disney property on three sides and Interstate-4 on the other side.

Like all land-locked property anywhere in the country, an owner has a right to access to their own property by going through somebody else's property. In this case, that access right is by going through Disney property to get to the Fairfield property. Thus you go through the entrances to WDW to get to the Fairfield, but to say is is officially on Disney property is misleading. The land itself is Fairfield, not Disney.

It is just like any other off-site property except it is the closest in location to Disney property, and has an entrance that comes directly off of Disney property. Outside of that, just like any other off-site resort.

HA HA HA!!! It never ceases to amaze me the lies their guides tell! I am both a Fairfield owner and a DVC BWV owner having stayed at both and there is no comparison as far as location and atmosphere. While Bonnet Creek is very nice,(leather couches, large wood dining table & buffet, large balcony) it is definitely not a Disney property with the bike rents, water sprites, shops, storytimes, etc. As of January there was no restaurant (unless you count the snack shop by the pool), gift shop, & transportation had to be pre-arranged and it was only 4 times a day. While BWV 2 BR is small, I don't think BC is any larger and the 2nd bedroom is smaller. Yes it is next to Carribean Beach but it is a long walk & there is a 5-6'fence to climb unless you walk all the way to the main road and go back in Carribean's entrance. IMHO you definitely need a car. You can see the fireworks of Epcot from the balconies, but I-4 provides the same distant view. My main complaint is avoiding the sales people at check-in and the daily calls from the guides wanting to give you a tour. Fairfield reservations rarely gets anything right so I doubt they could teach anyone much of anything. From what I have experienced and read, most owners could teach the sales people a thing or two but don't bother. We would rather avoid them!

Caskbill said:
Like all land-locked property anywhere in the country, an owner has a right to access to their own property by going through somebody else's property. In this case, that access right is by going through Disney property to get to the Fairfield property.

This sounds like an easement (I think?), when someone is given the right to regularly traipse through a portion of someone else's privately owned land. Is that what this is?

I thought that "access" here is just use of a regular public street in Reedy Creek or Lake Buena Vista (or wherever Buena Vista Blvd is legally located and governed)? I didn't think that the roads on "Disney property" were all privately owned and managed land (like the security roads and bus driveways may be). I had thought that streets like Buena Vista Blvd were part of the public domain within a municipal jurisdiction. I realize that Disney has their fun, purple, metal, over-the-road, banner signs announcing the "entrances" to Walt Disney World but that doesn't necessarily define the streets themselves as privately owned Disney property. Are they considered private roads or public streets? I honestly don't know.

SusanU, I'm surprised that you thought a 2BR at FF Bonnet Creek was smaller than a 2BR at BWV. I got just the opposite impression. Certainly, seating a family in the LR or at the DR table is much more comfortable at FFBC. The 2nd BR at FFBC feels larger to me too. It felt more comfortable to me because it was a dedicated 2BR, not a lock-off. While the sleeper sofa in a BWV 2nd BR/studio makes the room appear bigger, I prefer real beds, as with OKW.

I agree, though, that there are no bike rentals, water sprites, shops, etc. yet. Hopefully, there will be more of these kinds of things added as the resort grows. FF does offer bike & boat rentals, gift shops & family-friendly gatherings/activities at many of their other resorts (very popular at destination resorts). Among other things, Phase 2/3 is supposed to include mini-golf and Phase 4, the health club & saunas so more amenities are coming. They don't always list bike/boat rentals or gift shops among the amenities online even when they have them there (ex., SeaWatch, Alexandria, Pagosa) so I guess we'll see as time goes by. Actually, the FF's gift shops are usually small - a lot smaller than a Disney gift shop anyway. :rotfl2: Gee, there's a shocker, huh? :rotfl: Really, though, with one at every ride exit in every Disney park, do you really need one at the resort too? (Necessities are often available through the front desk or housekeeping) :goodvibes I can just hear my DH's response to that! :rolleyes: ;)

Did you enjoy your stay?

Caskbill said:
NO, Absolutely, it is NOT on DISNEY property.

It is on a tract of land owned by Fairfield, not by Disney. That particular tract of land is land-locked, being surrounded by Disney property on three sides and Interstate-4 on the other side.
I agree. Just to add some details...

The Bonnet Creek Resort is a 482-acre property. A few years ago, the owner of the long-undeveloped property finally brought in a developer, Orlando-based Brooksville Development Corp. Brooksville brought in architect Guy Butler, who developed a master plan with four high-end hotels, a timeshare resort, and an 18-hole golf course. You can see the plan here.

Brooksville Development sold the timeshare site to Fairfield -- 46 acres, with an option for 12 additional acres. Fairfield does not own the rest.

Brooksville did not have any luck attracting hotels, despite the great location. Around a year ago, Brooksville put the Bonnet Creek Resort development back on the market. I don't know if they ever sold it or who owns the land now. And I'm not aware that any hotel companies have commited to build resorts at the Bonnet Creek Resort. Does anyone know?

Fairfield Resorts, Inc. ( http://www.efairfield.com/ ) is owned by Cendant ( http://www.cendant.com/ ).

By the way, Fairfield Resorts, Inc. should not be confused with Fairfield Inns by Marriott ( http://marriott.com/fairfieldinn/ ), an economy lodging chain. There is no connection between the two.

Sorry, I reread my post and never meant to say it was on actual Disney property.

It is definately surrounded by Disney property and seems to be almost in the middle of Disney property. Kind of strange, but a good location for Fairfield.

Sorry, for the misleading statement.

marathonmommy said:

:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy:

And this is why I had a hard time with Fairfield. Are there ANY truth's in any of this statement LOL (They are the timeshare company that once told a friend of mine that if she got off her lazy XXX and got a job she and her hubby could afford to buy there LOL!)

1. The original owners of the Fairfield property had not settled with the mystery company before the Orlando paper broke the news that it was Disney. The owners raised the price through the ROOF and Disney walked.... property was never owned by Disney and is still not considered Disney property.

2. There is NO evidence that Fairfield assisted Disney with the points syste

One detail about inheriting DVC: your contract cannot be broken up after you pass away. In other words, if you have one 150-point contract, then you can't leave each of two children 75 points. Instead you must either leave 150 to one of them, or 150 to both of them as joint owners with joint responsibility. For this reason, a few DVC owners have purchased 2 or more smaller contracts at the same resort in the same use year. That way their heirs can each independently own a fraction after they pass away.

I wanted to tour Bonnet Creek, and at first, the timeshare salesman was nice...tho somewhat sarcastic. The 'normal' timeshare salesman relies on uniformed buyers, impetuous decision making, and well....if I said stretching the truth as opposed to lying, I'd be lying! My salesman spent a lot of time 'correcting' me. I tried to tell her that the way to sell to ME was to: 1,2,3 but she insisted that the way to sell to me was to give me XYZ.

SIGH.

After her spiel I told her I thought the resort was nice but felt taht my money would be better spent on DVC. I told her I could pick up the points I might want to spend on Bonnet Creek through the resale market. She left.
THen the manager came in and said: when our sales rep told you this, she meant that and when she said there was NO SMOKING in the rooms(which I congratulated them on heartily...he said that actually, they posted a 'please refrain from smoking' sign at the front desk, but didn't enforce it.

Then he offered me a whole poopie load of points for free (330,0000one time for $2000 and then after using them IF I wanted to buy at BC he woudl deduct the $2000 from purchase price. He'd even give me two years to use the points anywhere in the FF system. I was about ready to do this, but I went to the front desk and found that the resort was ''sold out' for the next 6 months. And I didn't have any other FF resorts that struck my fancy to use.
AND, I had the feeling that there would be $$$added on nickel and dime style to the offered points...I just didn't believe that anyone there was capable of telling the whole truth. Kind of sad, really. I haven't done the Disney do (bought through resale) but trust that they do not use the same tactics. I didn't feel any type of pressure from the Disney resalers either...so I bought.

It is funny to me that even when I told the salesperson at FF HOW TO GET ME TO BUY, that FF knew better. :rotfl2: :rotfl2: Of course, I doubt I would ever buy anything other than resale for timeshare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter